Marvell or Windows driver for C300

goldendad

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
I have a new single (non-raid) Crucial C300 SSD on am ASUS Sabertooth MB with Sata III Marvel and Sata II Intell. I want to use the TRIM function in Windows 7. Should I install the Marvell or Windows driver and use on Sata III? Or, should I use this on the Intell? Also, if I am not using the RAID do I need the JS Micron Driver? Any suggestions woudl be appreciated. Thanks.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
To get SATA III performance, you need to connect to the SATA III controller/port. If you connect to the Intel port, you will only get SATA II performance. Will still be fast, but not as fast as it could be.

If you aren't using the JS Micron RAID, then you don't need to load those drivers (or enable in your BIOS).

Good luck!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is called hijacking a thread. If you have a question, you should start your own.

That being said, the choice of driver used is determined by which port you connect your device to on the motherboard itself. In all likelihood, when you installed Win 7, it loaded its own stock drivers for the devices it found. In most cases, this is just fine. By loading more current, vendor provided drivers you may increase performance/stability, etc. However, if what you are using now is working and meets your needs, leave well enough alone and drive on. Make sense?

Have fun!!!

dangolo

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010

In November I built 4 systems with that Sabretooth/C300 combo and I can verify both the Marvell SataIII and Intel SataII both support Trim and are fully functional without special drivers other than what Windows 7 natively supports. Both ports are exceptionally fast, but several different benchmarks showed the Marvell being about %20 faster for the software we are running.

At that time, the Trim commands were not being passed through the raid interface correctly. The drivers for the raid controllers may have been updated to fix that, but since you are in a non-raid scenario, you're not affected. You dont need to install the JS Micron drivers if you aren't doing a raid setup.

FWIW, when upgrade time comes again in a year or two and you have bought a new system, that Sabretooth motherboard is fully supported by ESXi, so you can save your old mobo and make your own Virtual Machine server. Congrats on picking Asus, i'll never use another brand again ;-)

goldendad

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
Thanks everyone! This is good information. From this, I will install the Marvell Driver and not the JSMicron. I am still having problems updating the firmware on the C300. But, I will start another thread for that topic, if I can't get it fixed.