Sign in with
Your question

How do i find the motherboard number on my gateway laptop

Last response: in Motherboards
November 9, 2009 9:59:32 PM

thanks

I have taken the computer apart and have the motherboard at hand.
If I can find the current MB number how can I search for MB's replacement that are compatable with what I have and where might I find such items (IE how and what do I search for)

Thanks again
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2009 1:41:15 AM

what you want is the model written on (usually) the base of the laptop as most laptop motherboards never have any details labled on them as they supposed to come with a shell etc so
m
l
Related resources
November 10, 2009 5:59:39 AM

thanks -- but cpu-z and those type of programs work fine only if your computer is running and not in pieces.

I have the model number now how do I research what it's chip-set ? etc. is.
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
November 10, 2009 9:32:49 AM

Go to ebay or use your laptop model number with your favorite search engine. Used laptop boards aren't cheap; it may be just as cost effective to get a new laptop and use your old hardrive. A good tech can migrate your old programs over to a new drive. Be sure it's the board and not the power supply before investing in used parts.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2009 3:25:06 PM

watchdog9 said:
thanks -- but cpu-z and those type of programs work fine only if your computer is running and not in pieces.

I have the model number now how do I research what it's chip-set ? etc. is.

Good point and well made.

Googleing the model number will usually lead you to a spec sheet from a review or retailer which will tell you the chip sets.

If it's a somewhat new part, search the model number at Newegg.
m
l
!