Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Random Reboots

Tags:
  • Components
Last response: in Components
August 24, 2009 5:23:00 PM

Hello All,

My problem is that during gaming my computer will reboot itself and most recently it has even done this from the desktop while downloading a game. At first I thought it may be due to old graphics cards so I bought a XFX Geforce 275 GTX to replace my old Radeon HD 2600 XT's (crossfired). No luck in fixing my problem (all drivers were up to date). Currently I am running on Windows 7 OS. As of now here are the specs:

CPU - AMD Phenom 9500 (2.2GHz)
Video - Geforce 275 GTX
Mother - Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi-AP
Power - X3 800W
RAM - 2gb Kingston
HD - 400GB Seagate

My uncle tried pagefiling to borrow some memory from the HD to assist the RAM but this did not help. Next I am thinking to buy new RAM just because 2b is kinda weak and I would feel a bit better with at least 4gb. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks.

More about : random reboots

August 24, 2009 7:43:21 PM

if its the RAM, u will get blue screen before the reboot. How about checking your PSU ? if u are overclocking, check your voltages.
m
l
August 24, 2009 8:11:44 PM

There is no blue screen before the reboot - it just reboots... Monitor goes black, machine lets out a beep and starts running again. I am not currently overclocking my cpu (though I have heard that overclocking amd phenom 9500 doesnt yield good results...).
m
l
Related resources
August 24, 2009 8:21:34 PM

when did the problem start occurring.

did you do anything around the time it started occurring.

does it always reboot like on a timer? is it random?

what version of windows 7 do you have?
'
do you have a copy of windows xp or vista you could install and dualboot with for a week or 2 to see if it has the same problems?

did you check the error logs in windows for any clues?
m
l
August 24, 2009 8:40:09 PM

hear the beep, and check in the board manual. some manufacturers use sound beeps to help diagnose a problem. also check if the board has a led-diagnostic display.
m
l
August 24, 2009 10:09:41 PM

Sounds like the PSU is dieing.

Asus motherboards beep one time showing sucessful post.
m
l
August 25, 2009 7:31:55 AM

TEST YOUR HARDWARE
m
l
August 25, 2009 8:05:03 AM

^+1 For the dieing PSU, i had the exact same thing happen to me.
m
l
August 25, 2009 5:29:37 PM

Since it started when you installed the Geforce 275 GTX I would put the old card back in for a while just to check, if that works it doesn't mean it's the GPU, it could be the PSU that's dodgy and not providing enough power, but it gets you slightly closer to an answer.

Also, although not the cause of the problem, I would upgrade to 4GB of RAM.
m
l
September 1, 2009 1:44:57 AM

the beep is a solid beep for like 1 full sec and the motherboard has no led display unfortunately. the reboots seem to happen at random now, not quickly upon starting to use the pc but it occurs nonetheless. the problem occurred even before i installed the new video card**. i used memtest86+ and the ram is solid. it sucks because at the moment i am starting my freshman year of college and i really have no access to the computer being discussed and it is now in the hands of my uncle O.o ...
m
l