Sign in with
Your question

Formatting hard drives

Last response: in Storage
January 18, 2011 11:47:14 AM

i am having a number of problems with programs taking ages to load,even initial boot up takes ages.my hard drive has been partitioned to allow for a recovery program,but presumably the c: drive could be formatted,and the recovery program used to instal the operating system.alternatively would buying a new decent hard drive be a lot safer,and quicker!

eric johnston

More about : formatting hard drives

a b G Storage
January 18, 2011 1:38:36 PM

have you checked for fragmentation? Viruses? Did it slow down recently or has it always been slow?

What are your current system specs?
January 19, 2011 11:55:18 AM

I am currently running Kaspersky Internet security and Iolo System Mechanic,this program allows you to defragment your hard drive and also allows for re-alignment of programs.Fragmentation levels are normall very low,approximately 5-7% of total disk space what system specs are you particulary looking for? lastly,this is a fairly recent problem,although "not responding" messages have been occuring more frequently.
Eric Johnston
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 19, 2011 12:15:25 PM

If the disk isn't responding you could have disk health issues. I'd look for software that can test that.

You wanted to compare reformatting with buying a new HD. What is the existing HD, what processor/OS etc, would be helpful in making a recommendation. How old is it, anything else you can mention.
January 19, 2011 1:19:16 PM

I don't have a lot of info on the hard drive,this was a replacement to the original,it was free,as I have a maintainence contract! I not sure what help,if any, the following info will be MDT-MD16 00AAJS-00B4A SCSI DEVICE According to Belarc the S.M.A.R.T. status is healthy The Processor is the AMD Athlon-64. I have ran H.P's on diagnostic programme,and no faults with the drive are highlighted.The actual computer is approx,2-3 years old,although the hard drive is a lot newer.The O/S is windows vista 32 bit, hope this helps

Eric Johnston
a b G Storage
January 20, 2011 1:46:03 AM

when I google "MDT-MD16" I get a lot of references to an external HD. "00AAJS-00B4A" seems to be a SCSI device driver? Is this a SATA or SCSI HD?
January 20, 2011 4:33:24 PM

according to the device manager it's a scsi device,is that different from sata.when i spoke to pc world regarding installing a new hard drive i was assured that it was a sata,as they were now the norm for most computers.
!