Sign in with
Your question

Random Restarts and Start up issue - please help before I ........

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
May 20, 2009 6:36:14 PM

(Edit: Read the Sticky on how to ask for Advice)

Hello everyone,

First off, I would like to say this site is great for finding info and think it is really cool of the community to help people with their crazy computer problems. Apologies, if someone else had this exact problem before - I just couldn't find a post matching my scenario.

About a month ago I put together a new system that, of courses, loves to randomly reboot during games and an issue with turning on the computer. Posting here is my last resort before setting a block of C-4 in my rig and blowing it to kingdom come. Any who, I will try to list as much info for all you pros that I can. I have looked up and down the forums I'm sure I'll leave some information you need out - just let me know.

Set up:

Currently regular XP(32-bit) and I have Vista (64-bit) but experience the same random restarts. With Either OS
GPU: BFG Tech BFGEGTX2851024OCE GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
MB: ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920
CPU FAN: Vigor Monsoon III LT Dual 120mm Fan CPU Cooler Socket 1366 Ready - Retail
PSU: APEVIA ATX-LCD750W 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
HD: 500 gig something.
OVERCLOCKING: Nope
SLI: Nope
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 2000+ X 1900+ (Sorry, can't remember the exact pixels)

Problem 1:

From a "cold" start where my computer has not been on for a while. I push the power button and the HD/CPU lights flicker once and then go black. I then have to push the power button a random amount of times (at least 20) until the computer finally "catches" and starts (kinda like when your trying to start your car and the starter finally catches.) Though after the computer has been running a while, I can turn it off and just push the power button shortly after and it starts up just fine with the first "push."

Problem 2:

Random restarts. I can leave my computer on idle for days (in fact I'm afraid to turn it off due to the fact that it might just not come back on :)  ) with no problems at all. I can play EvE Online and have maybe only crashed once while playing it. If I load up a game like World of Warcraft, I can play for a random amount of time (anywhere from 3 minutes to 3 hours) before my computer hard restarts. When it restarts, it comes back on with 2 beeps (as opposed to the single beep when I finally get it started from a cold start.

What I have tried:

For problem 1:

From reading other posts, I have switched the cable connecting the power button to the MB out with the Reset button (essentially making the Reset button my power button for my system) - No luck there - still have problems booting up.

For problem 2:

I have re-applied a better and more even coat of Arctic Silver to the processor, thinking that my i7 was overheating regardless of the Goliath of a fan on top of it.

Checked and re-set the Ram, confirming they were in the right slots, even switching the chips around. Ran Memtest86 for about 24 hours and came up with 0 errors.

Re-set the Video Card/cables and ran ATItool for about 2 hours with 0 errors (searching for Artifacts.) I also had Realtemps/CPU Z running along side it and I believe the highest my GPU got was ~80 degrees @ 60% fan speed.

I also used Driver Cleaner for my video card drivers and installed the latest Nvidia drivers.

I downloaded the "CPU Burn-In" - Not really sure how to operated it. When I opened it up a word document screen popped up. I'll need to read the "read-me" or something when I get home.

While I was running the ATItool and CPU Z - my Processors were running in between ~39-48 degrees and around ~40 degrees idle.

So... if anyone could help me out I would be forever grateful.

Hekaton

More about : random restarts start issue

May 20, 2009 6:42:57 PM

For problem 1, did you wait a certain time before pushing the buttons again?

For both, check your PSU, swap another one in your computer.
May 20, 2009 7:21:50 PM

Shnur said:
For problem 1, did you wait a certain time before pushing the buttons again?

For both, check your PSU, swap another one in your computer.

I have pushed the buttons in fast succession and waited ~ 10 seconds before pushing.

I was thinking about picking up another PSU. I just read on another forum post - about possibly switching out the Powerstrip. If that fixes my problem I will be quite angry but happy at the same time.

Thank you Shnur

BTW, would you recommend a certain PSU to try out with my set up. I'm pretty sure 750w would be enough power, but just in case?
Related resources
May 20, 2009 8:21:38 PM

Reading the reviews of that Apevia PSU lead me to the conclusion that it's a POS. You're problem seems very common with that PSU. I would replace it with a quality unit from Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Antec, etc... A 750W PSU is plenty for your system, but if you think you'll ever want to add another GTX 285 in SLI I'd get an 850W psu like the Corsair 850TX.

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $139.99 - $20 MIR
May 20, 2009 9:26:29 PM

Shortstuff -

Thanks for the reply! Later today I stumbled across a "PSU tier" link on these awesome forums and found the Apevia I got (or the brand in general) on tier 5 :( . That's what I get for not researching the PSU before buying it.

Thanks for the Recommendation on the Corsair. I was looking at the 750 one earlier. I should probably go with the 850 if I wanted to throw another 285 on setup....if I could fit it....

Thanks again! - I'll probably be ordering the PSU in the very near future.

-Hekaton
May 21, 2009 12:38:35 AM

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

is on its way. Thanks again - I hope this fixes my problems and if it doesn't you will be hearing from me again :hello: 

Thanks again all~
May 21, 2009 12:47:07 AM

I found this thread kinda late, but I agree with the above comments, Apevia PSU's blow. That 850tx will most likely fix your problem. If it by chance does not, then I would suspect the motherboard as the issue, but all the clues you have given point to a faulty PSU. Good luck, I hope it fixes your problem.

BTW, What monitor do you have? I am interested to see what monitors run at 2xxx by 19xx resolution.
!