Sign in with
Your question

HDD Wont Initialize

Last response: in Storage
January 18, 2011 1:27:08 PM

Hello, I have just put my first build together and one of my hard drives won't initialize. I have tried to initialize it by right clicking and selecting initialize in the disk management console but nothing happens?...

More about : hdd wont initialize

a b G Storage
January 19, 2011 11:20:44 PM

hankmarvin said:
Hello, I have just put my first build together and one of my hard drives won't initialize. I have tried to initialize it by right clicking and selecting initialize in the disk management console but nothing happens?...

We need a little bit more information to further assist you.
Is the drive internal or external?
Is it a new drive?
Does your BIOS recognize the drive?

More information will help out a lot.
January 19, 2011 11:44:36 PM

Sorry about that, yeah it's an old drive, probably three years old, I've used it all the time until the move over to the new PC. It's an internal hard drive and it's recognised in the BIOS and in drive manager as I mentioned. But dosen't appear in my computer, probably because I can't allocate the drive a letter.
Windows tells me it's working properly and Seatools can't find anything wrong with it so I'm at a total loss.
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 20, 2011 9:28:13 PM

Hi hankmarvin,

Do you know what file system the drive under? Also can you provide your OS version, hard drive model? One of the things that it could be if it is a different file system it may have issues seeing the drive, although BIOS can read it. This will depend on your current and past setup.

Hope this helps!
January 20, 2011 11:00:57 PM

I'm pretty sure that the file system is FAT32, I'm running Windows 7 64 bit now and when it was last working it was on my old system and that was running XP (32 bit).
I don't know if this helps but I have managed to get the disk size to show now, before there were no details at all. I I did this by right clicking the drive in Device manager, selected properties then populated the drive in the volumes tab.
I still can't initialize it though!?
a b G Storage
January 21, 2011 9:47:20 PM

Hi hankmarvin,

Does your disk management allow you to format the drive? If it does, doing so will erase any data that is currently on the drive. Also, you may want to try your hard drive in a different computer, so that you may rule out the operating system being the issue.

January 22, 2011 8:25:07 AM

icy dock said:
Hi hankmarvin,

Does your disk management allow you to format the drive? If it does, doing so will erase any data that is currently on the drive. Also, you may want to try your hard drive in a different computer, so that you may rule out the operating system being the issue.

Nope I can't format it either, very strange, Windows 7 is still a puppy though so I reckon it has some sort of glytch somewhere. I'm going to build my Mum a PC today using Windows XP so I will put the drive into that and see if it works in there. It should do, it did before, and Windows 7 and Seatools say it's working properly. Here's hoping. I will post back and let you know if it works just in case someone else has the same problem at a later date and stumbles upon this thread.
!