Solved

My Hard Drive is stuck in EISA after Power Outage? Help Please

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Power Outage
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 18, 2011 1:35:47 PM

After a series of power outages while my computer was unfortunately on, my hard drives encountered a few problems. My main concern here is my 2 TB with all my data on it. After the outage, it seems it is stuck in EISA mode, and it does show up in Storage Manager as a drive with no letter, claiming half of it is now EISA and the other half partitioned, I cannot access either. If I even attempt to reformat or assign a drive letter, it won't let me and claims the manager is outdated (when it's not). I don't know what to do and I'm trying to recover this data as its fairly important. Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

More about : hard drive stuck eisa power outage

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 19, 2011 8:16:10 PM

I would say download a bootable copy of Ubuntu, boot your system from the Ubuntu CD, and mount the HDD. Linux, hence Ubuntu, does not need a specific filesystem to access the data on a HDD, you have better chances to retrieve the data from a Linux environment.
January 19, 2011 11:06:30 PM

house70 said:
I would say download a bootable copy of Ubuntu, boot your system from the Ubuntu CD, and mount the HDD. Linux, hence Ubuntu, does not need a specific filesystem to access the data on a HDD, you have better chances to retrieve the data from a Linux environment.

Thank you for the response. I am not 100% sure on how to go about doing this, but I will give it a shot. I'll post back if I can get any success.
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2011 12:29:34 AM

Okay, Great news! I installed Ubuntu as you suggested on my Flash Drive, Booted it up. I am new to Linux so I don't know anything about mounting drives so I wasn't sure how to do this as I see I have to input some lines of code somewhere. I clicked on Places and see my 2.2 TB HDD and all my data is there! Wow, Thank you so much house. Now, the next step is figuring out how I can get this to boot properly. I suspect the boot files/folders may have gotten corrupted, but I see the rest of my data is intact! (Mainly Video-Files). Any suggestions on how I can go about fixing this to boot properly in Windows Vista x64 without loosing my data? If worst comes to worst I may consider changing to Ubuntu if I cannot find a fix! Please get back to me and thanks for the sound advice. (Also hope I didn't mess anything up as I didn't do any mounting)
m
l
a b G Storage
January 20, 2011 11:58:53 AM

Ubuntu mounted the drive itself, otherwise you could not see the data. At this point, I would do a backup of the important files on another drive, if you have one.
I suspect the filesystem got corrupted because the HDD was accessed during the outage (not your fault). See here:
http://www.ntfs.com/partition-recovery-concepts.htm
for some explanations.
To get it to boot properly, You will need to boot from Vista CD/DVD and start the installation; when it asks you whether to perform a clean install or to repair an existing installation, choose the later. Then, point it to the existing installation that needs repairing and follow the repair wizard:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.h...

Remember, always backup your data first, in case the unexpected happens.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 20, 2011 12:05:28 PM

Oh, and if you don't do much gaming, I believe Ubuntu is a great way to go. Fast, stable, secure, and plenty of options. And, if you miss a specific Windows application, you can run it on Wine, a Windows "emulator" on Ubuntu. I am a novice at Ubuntu myself, but I already love it.
m
l
January 20, 2011 12:34:35 PM

Thanks! I will attempt to do this. Not a big computer gamer, so I will consider the swap. Cheers
m
l
January 20, 2011 12:34:55 PM

Best answer selected by Apocalypse612.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 20, 2011 1:42:51 PM

Glad to help, good luck.
m
l