How hot is hot?

ApacoTaco

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
I just purchased a new "XFX GS250XZDFC GeForce GTS 250 1GB Core Edition 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16." I'm using SpeedFan 4.38 to check the temps. It idles at about 50 degrees C. Playing the included Call of Duty - World at War, it jumps to 78-80 degrees C.

Two questions - Is there a "better" or more standard app to use the check the temps and is 80 degree C too hot for the card at full load?

Thanks in advance.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
FurMark will push your GPU to its limits and give you an idea of how hot your card will get, but to answer the main question, no, 80C is pretty average for load temp on a gfx card.

I'm running a Gigabyte 1GB GTS250 in a Zalman HTPC case. Booted it up just now.

Early in the boot up, "Idle" was 44C. Temps seemed to be slowly rising, but I ran Call of Duty - World at War. Played 20 minutes before I noticed res was low, reset res at 1680x1050, max res of my #2 monitor. Played 20 minutes more. Quit.

CPUID Hardware Monitor reports temp peaked at 67C, is now back at 51C and appears to be falling. Take 5 . . .

Its at 50C now, all 4 core temps are 42-45. Temps look stable there now.

Maybe that's where the rumors started?

Only info I have atm is the fan is running 35% duty cycle. Maybe I can stick a popsicle stick in the blades and count quick.

Other than that, its an HTPC case, and the gpu fan has a half-height wireless card in the adjacent slot. So the fan is half covered. No other air movement in the expansion card quadrant besides the 2x80mm rear panel fans above the mobo I/O header.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
The core and memory on all GTS 250 are overclocked to pretty much their limit so it's gonna run hot. Need to keep the fan at a noisy 80% before 3D gaming and maybe it won't get above 70 (mines stay at 69 on Far Cry 2, CoD4, Crysis.)

Has anyone got past 810 on overclocking the core? If you did, were there artifacts, flashes?

ApacoTaco

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009

I'll beat it up with FurMark and see. Thanks B-Unit.