No sound after reinstall XP SP2 Soundblaster Live drvrs ok

jezra3

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
5yr old system, with SYNTAX motherboard 80Gb main drive 2 Gb ram.

System crash necessitated reinstall of XPSP2, which re-aligned my drive letters (was C-40Gb drive, D-CD drive, E-CD drive, F-80 Gb drive=main drive). To new: C-80 Gb, D-40Gb, E & F = CD drives).

System previously played sound perfectly. I also write orchestrations on this machine and they always played back perfectly. After moving around last year with 4 months of PC being in storage, System booted up well.

But it had been having problems intermittently for 1 1/2 yrs. Late Fall 08, I Installed XP SP3. By January, I lost the sound and through 'googling', I was able to get it back.

Thurs 8-20-09, I had the system crash and after 32 attempts to boot, I was able to reinstall the orig XP SP2 OS. NOW, no sound! I have completed all OS updates, but, SP3. I'm not sure I want to do that again. I'm using AVAST anti virus and COMODO firewall. They've both been installed and operate properly.

I've reinstalled most software but still have no sound. I saved the 'google' sound searches from before which I saved on my desktop. Thankfully the XP reinstall retained my previous profiles, & I was able to retrieve all files on my previous profile's desktop and 'my documents', etc.------that info didn't help.

dxdiag didn't help. Device Mgr does list my SoundBlaster Live drivers. The AC97 drivers have "!" next to it on the Device Mgr. The "play control" also operates and has no muted boxes checked.

Speaker cables ARE connected properly. No system sounds nor windows opening/shut down wave files play. Speakers DO work as I found by trying to plug it into various sound card 'ports'.

System is a 'brand X' no name box. MOBO is Syntax. Could not find info from Syntax's web site thru google.

THANKS FOR ALL HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Jezra3

Solution
Re-install the AC97 drivers, if it doesn't work there's a patch which fixes an audio bus problem, try to google universal audio architecture on high definition audio bus patch, then find the link to M$ website and download the patch. Install windows xp sp3 and then update by downloading ALL avaible updates from windows update. Let's see if that helps.

UltraO

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Re-install the AC97 drivers, if it doesn't work there's a patch which fixes an audio bus problem, try to google universal audio architecture on high definition audio bus patch, then find the link to M$ website and download the patch. Install windows xp sp3 and then update by downloading ALL avaible updates from windows update. Let's see if that helps.

Solution

jezra3

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
Thanks so much. I re-installed the AC97drivers once. 'try, try, again!' As I speak, I"m downloading the M$ hidef audio 'fix', a 36Mb file. I'll go ahead and do the SP3 upgrade I was dreading.....last time it was a true bear!

much gratitude!
Jezra3

jezra3

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009

I installed XP, no sound. Same with ac97 drivers, no "!" next to Media Control Devices, nor any other sound devices including the Soundblaster Live and ac97.

ALL of the above was fine before I had a system crash last Thursday, and had to re-install winXP Pro SP2. as all was working before the crash, I know that the sound card and 'plug' placement into the green 'port', are both ok!

Now I have most programs reinstalled or ok BUT NO SOUND. As a music arranger and orchestrator, this is a big deal........

Any other suggestions??????? PLEASE help. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS