Steps to Reinstall OS to Vertex 2

espguitarguy232

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Ok kinda need my hand held on this one but be patient. I need to know step by step how to properly reinstall my os on my 160gb (149 usable) OCZ Vertex 2. Here is the step by step I plan to take, so let me know if anything is out of order or bad for my ssd. Windows 7 64-bit

-I have ACHI set already in bios from previous install
-boot to cd
-go through everything and select advanced options
-delete both system reserved and regular storage partitions
-select unallocated space (should be all 149gb)
-DO NOT create drives or whatever that option is and DO NOT format
-click next and let W7 to install do its thing

If there is anything missing or done wrong please tell me the proper steps. Thanks!

espguitarguy232

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Thank you for the link and it was informative. The only thing I could find that relates specifically to my question is "Windows 7 requests the Trim operation for more than just file delete operations. The Trim operation is fully integrated with partition- and volume-level commands like Format and Delete, with file system commands relating to truncate and compression, and with the System Restore (aka Volume Snapshot) feature.", but this does not whether or not to just delete the two spaces from the first install then click next, or delete them and create new system space then format and click next. Sorry just want to know what will allow me to "start over" and do a fresh install. Oh and if it wasn't obvious before, total NEWB to the SSD game so i will be reading what malmental posted while i wait for a response. Thanks again

espguitarguy232

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Yes I do, although i play Schecter now so the ESP username doesnt match well anymore. Berklee is a hell of a school, just to attend is an achievement in my book. This is my band http://www.myspace.com/deprecatorusa. Pretty much a metalhead who likes classic rock and blues also that decided to play it safe and go to college in case it didnt work out, and where i live the music scene isn't known for much. I assume you are involved in some projects?

espguitarguy232

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
No it is an option i believe. I am running mine with the native ahci drivers, but others choose intel rst drivers. I think performance may be better or something with some drives. Did you see this thread? http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262407-32-windows-native-ahci-drivers-intel-drivers. If you feel your drive is slow or benchmarks low, you may have a drive that works better with the rst driver than the ahci native drivers. I found the biggest thing for my drive was with reinstalling the OS the best way is to do a secure erase and then intall win7 as normal, which i found out from the OCZ forums support threads

rajsharma714

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

I've been trying to find a right combo to make sure my SSD is being used effectively while also making sure it latest as long as possible. It sounds like it's pretty much a trial and error, which is weird since you would figure there would be some kind of a standard for using SSD to get the best performance.

I tried to go to the link you posted, but it said the page could not be displayed. Maybe broken link? I think I will do a new install and use native ACHI drivers with "Optional but highly recommend" configurations from the 3 links above since my current setup is having my 240GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SSD as my main drive with Adobe CS5 installed, and then I have another 1TB for storing and installing other software which really doesn't need the performance of a SSD.

Thanks for reply.

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

Projects?

I got my degree in computer science.
I have an acustic drum kit and going to buy an electonic one in the next couplemof months.
I only play in my finished basement now.......

I will be getting an SSD in a month when the new gens come out.