Just built a trading computer using I7 920

RufusDot

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Used run multiple trading platforms, Outlook, multiple IE browsers, Excel and Word, all at the same time on a 5 year-old HP single core with 3 gigs memory. Just built a new computer using the I7 920 quad core, OC to 3.6 ghz with heavier ASUS motherboard, 3 gigs memory, extrac cooling, XP Service Pack 3, 32 bit. Chip is running around 38 to 40 degrees.

With this new setup, I can't run more than one or two programs. The processors seems to be loafing, but I seem to be running out of memory.

Why is it running worse than my old beater? Should I move up to 64 bit? Can a 32 bit trading program run on 64 bit? Does that make better use of the quad core? Allow me to use more memory?

Had it built by a very good local company and after two weeks, we're about ready to lose it!

Any help would be very much appreciated!

0ptic0n

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Well since it was built by someone else take it back to them and have them check it out. No reason it should be slow unless you managed to pickup adware, spyware, virus, or trojan downloader while surfing the web.

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007

Could you give us the Parts specs. i.e. ram specs( 1066, 1333, 1280mhz), graphic card, Asus motherboard model # and so forth. Then we might be able to help you out some more.

RufusDot

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I have found out that one of the trading programs is a major memory hog and they will have an updated 64 bit version in another month. I'm just going to cut the amount of charts I'm using back for now. In a couple of months, I'll just upgrade the whole thing to 64 bit Win 7.