Please Please help with Radeon X1900XT 512 MB

loopylulu

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Oh someone please help me. I am pretty good with computers but not so much with the technical side and diagnosing hardware problems. This is a little long winded but it has to be so I do not have to repost.

Maybe a month or two ago our computer started acting strange. I have a compaq with 2 gigs of ram, Athlon 2.4 GHz I believe, and an ATI radeon X1900XT 512 video card.

I just purchased a samsung T200 widescreen.

The PSU is an Antect NEO-HE 500 watt PSU.

I did take a gamble and purchase the card and PSU used. Maybe a year and a half to two years ago.

When I play games I always run the GPU fan at 100% to avoid artifacts since my processor is not that great. I have run all recent games in the past including crysis, FEAR 2 etc at the highest resolution which is 1680x1050 with very little problems.

Recently I will be playing COD4 or another game and the monitor will shut off flashing on and off and sometimes I can hear the game sounds, or sometimes the screen will just freeze or sometimes there will be a loud pitched noise coming through the speakers. The GPU fan will power down. I am constantly hard rebooting which I hate and I am lost as to whether it is the GPU or PSU or something else entirely. I did purchase RAM earlier this year but there were no problems with the computer when i installed it and that was months ago.

I have run riva tuner and other programs and the temperature of the GPU is never higher than 60 degrees, usually mid 50's during game playing which should be more than okay as I understand it. I do not think it is an overheating issue.

I do not know how to diagnose the problem.

these are the events that are occuring in the event viewer.

event 877 There was error [DATABASE OPEN FAILED] processing the driver database.

event 7034 The Ati HotKey Poller service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

event 7 The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

event 877 and event 7034 are happening constantly throughout the day. I only received event 7 once.

Please if someone could help me figure out what the problem is. Other forums simply say go buy a new GPU or PSU but that may not be the exact problem. Keep in mind I am not extremely tech savy.

thank you so much.

loopylulu

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009

What do you mean codecs? I know codecs are associated with windows media player....how would I know and what I am looking for

thanks.