GTX 295 problem

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 11, 2009 5:30:22 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and have a problem. I hope you guys will help me out. As far as I can see you're helping alot of people and doing a very good job. I got a gtx 295 for my birthday (june 3rd). Windows loads just normal, but when I try and start any 3D application (3D mark vantage, crysis, ...). My pc reboots before the program even starts. This only for a couple of programs, untill yesterday crysis warhead ran just fine, so did cod4. But when i played warhead, the pc reboots too now. I have the latest 185.85 drivers, a 1000 watt power supply, core 2 quad q9450 (2.66 ghz)and 4 gigs ddr3 1600 mhz. I use Windows vista 64 bit home premium. This happens when i installed my new gtx 295 card with my previus card (9800 gtx) everything run just fine. Sry i cant give you guys more information untill this evening (local time belgium). If you guys have any questions i'll try to answer them (i'm working at the moment, so dont expect a swift reply). Thank you guys for your help and i hope to hear from you soon.

ps sorry for my bad english, i'm belgian.

More about : gtx 295 problem

June 11, 2009 5:39:22 AM

Make sure you compute isn't overheating at all. Use programs like CoreTemp or HWMonitor to check temps
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2009 6:13:06 AM

Did you uninstall the old card in the device manager before installing the new card?

If not, uninstall the GTX 295 in device manager. On reboot, cancel the windows prompt to look for new drivers. Run the Nvidia setup file to install 185.85.
Related resources
June 11, 2009 10:22:07 AM

I uninstalled the previous driver, ran drive cleaner, reboot the pc and installed the new one (185.85). Is this what you meant?

Thanks for the help so far guys and girls.
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2009 10:56:53 AM

Check temps. If they seem to be ok, and this keeps happening, make sure your card is hooked up right with your psu, sometimes a 6 pin has lower power out on multi connects coming from the psu. It could be a power issue, not that the 1000 watts isnt enough, but your particular hookup isnt quite right. It could also just be a faulty card.
Usually, if its played fine in the past, it isnt drivers, unless youve noticed a change in performance since you changed drivers. Unchanged drivers, my bet is, faulty card, heat or power connects
June 11, 2009 1:10:10 PM

If your PSU has multiple rails, you might not be load-balancing them. Of course, it's hard not to when you can only use one type of connector. Either way, you should have at least 4 6/8-pin connectors. Keep one of the original plugs in and replace the other with one of the available connectors. I'm just shooting from the hip here lol.
June 11, 2009 1:13:56 PM

Hi,

When I install my bfg gtx295 I have a similar problem, it's happen because the 295 need lots of power, too resolve that I used 2 separate 12volt rail on one side for the gpu I think, and 2 separate 6 pins for the fan. After that everything work really well.
Good luck
June 11, 2009 3:30:29 PM

Hi,

First of all I want to thank you all for helping me. Second I have an epsilon 1010 power supply, but I dont really understand the rail thing (sry bit of noob on that part) But I used a 6-pin power cable for the card and a 8-pin power cable for the card. They have multiple connections on the cable but I'm not using them, is this what you're talking about?
As for my temps: 50°C idle, 75°C/80°C on load (this is stock fan, I can set the fan speed to 85%. In that case my temp never goes over 70°C).

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2009 6:10:18 PM

Temps seem fine. If you have your documentation for your psu, see if all your 6 pin connectors are the same for power . One may be rated for higher power output, and that maybe where the problem lies, if you dont have that particular one hooked up to your card, and a lessor/weaker one is, and your card could be underpowered.
Its either that, or your card may be faulty
June 13, 2009 7:21:47 AM

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me.

I'll check it out. I'll let you guys know if there's any difference.

June 14, 2009 8:33:53 AM

Nope, still the same problem :( 
June 14, 2009 8:34:22 AM

Nope, still the same problem :( 
September 13, 2009 1:36:36 AM

Hello guys!

same problem for me!

My baby is composed like this:

i7 920
Asus Rampage II Extreme
6 GB OCZ Triple channel
Zotac GTX 295 (drivers 190.62)
PSU Everest 800

Vista 64 b SP2

Pc reboots at if i start crysis, 3d mark...

Temperatures are good windows does't give any usable error....

Any ideas?
September 17, 2009 7:13:13 PM

Solved guys!

Changed PSU in a Corsair HX1000 W with 80A on 12 V rails
!