Hi people,

My game crashed tonight. It loaded until 4/5th of the first
splashscreen and then stopped. I think it is because I PE'd my
downloads to be EP-compatible, but when I took the downloads out,
it still crashed. Anyone an idea? I'm not impartial to a full
re-install, if it comes to that. I was getting bored, and it
might be a good idea to start over. But I'd like to save my
downloades. Any ideas?

T.

Might sound like a stupid question, but did you restart your computer after
the crash?
You have University installed? Could one of your downloads not be able to
be compatible?

Bluegenie2 wrote:

> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>> My game crashed tonight. It loaded until 4/5th of the first
>> splashscreen and then stopped. I think it is because I PE'd my
>> downloads to be EP-compatible, but when I took the downloads
>> out,
>> it still crashed. Anyone an idea? I'm not impartial to a full
>> re-install, if it comes to that. I was getting bored, and it
>> might be a good idea to start over. But I'd like to save my
>> downloades. Any ideas?
> Might sound like a stupid question, but did you restart your
> computer
> after the crash?

Yes, no effect.

> You have University installed? Could one of your downloads not
> be
> able to be compatible?

That is the problem, I think; I EP'd all my downloads to be
compatible. But when I took the downloads out and restarted the
game, it still crashed. So now I officially don't understand what
could be wrong.

T.

When you say ALL your Downloads do you mean the skins and hacks as well as
the objects? In that case, oh dear!

You only update OBJECTS.

Best wishes
Maxon

PS I think that's probably your problem.

Maxon wrote:

> When you say ALL your Downloads do you mean the skins and hacks
> as
> well as the objects? In that case, oh dear!
>
> You only update OBJECTS.

Well, the things that could be updated so no skins. But maybe one
accidently slipped in.

> PS I think that's probably your problem.

But then why won't the game start if I take the downloads out?

> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>> Bluegenie2 wrote:
>>
>>> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>>> Might sound like a stupid question, but did you restart your
>>> computer
>>> after the crash?
>>
>> Yes, no effect.
>>
>>> You have University installed? Could one of your downloads
>>> not
>>> be
>>> able to be compatible?
>>
>> That is the problem, I think; I EP'd all my downloads to be
>> compatible. But when I took the downloads out and restarted
>> the
>> game, it still crashed. So now I officially don't understand
>> what
>> could be wrong.
>>
>> T.

Hi Taemon,

Well, the answer to your question is I don't know. BUT here are two points
to consider,

1. You say that you updated the 'things that could be updated'.
Unfortunately, this plug in for SimPE, AFAIK anyway, doesn't discriminate
between object recolours and skins (you shouldn't need to update new object
meshes either - just the recolours). If you went through your Downloads
folder and it has mixed skins, objects, recolours and hacks in there and you
just selected them in large blocks to update according to whether they were
University-ready or not without checking carefully you were selecting object
recolours only (there's usually loads to update and the skin files will tell
you they are not compatible with University just like the objects) you may
well have updated skins without meaning to. I've come across several people
who have done this (are you reading this Granny?) and buggered up their game
big time. However, that might not even be important - it may be just a
corrupted object, sim or lot file.

2. The way the game is designed has many hidden and unexpected features.
One of the things it does is update sim and lot files at points you might
not expect it - like when the game is loading. That is, as well as reading
the files, it can also write. It has a sort of house-cleaning objective.
One of the things it has is an automatic file-removal protocol. If you
delete something in game (e.g. a skin or floor), the programme will delete
all instances of that skin or floor in your game (so in other lots as well
as the one you are visiting). If you delete material from outside the game,
this can cause problems because the house-cleaning routines can't take place
(this doesn't seem to affect walls and floors). So when you load up a lot
with that deleted skin, it can cause corruption. If it's only one object or
skin we are talking about (and something else seems to happen with the skins
but that's another story), the game can usually cope on the fly, so to
speak. The game designers did this, I think, in response to the problems
people had with the first game. If you remember in Sims 1, lots of problems
were caused by objects having the same GUIDs (which would make the game
crash) or that were corrupted. As far as I can tell, the game designers
have sought to avoid some of those problems by giving the game this
house-cleaning aspect, though the repeat-number thing has only been
partially addressed. Anyway, as the game loads, it will check for problems
and try to deal with them. If you've corrupted a whole pile of files by
updating them, the likelihood is the game is trying to sort out the mess by
cleaning out instances of the files in game, writing over lot and sim files
here there and everywhere, then failing to cope and then crashing. I am
speculating here - I'm not saying this is the case - but that's what I
suspect is happening. When you try to load again, you have a new set of lot
and sim files which got corrupted by the crash and the game won't load.
Ergo - it doesn't matter whether you take Downloads out or not.

I'm sorry to say, the only thing that seems to work in this situation is a
complete reinstall - unless someone else has experience in finding another
route. I didn't have this problem myself so can't help you there.

Sorry that's not more encouraging.
Best wishes
Maxon

> Maxon wrote:
>
> > When you say ALL your Downloads do you mean the skins and hacks
> > as
> > well as the objects? In that case, oh dear!
> >
> > You only update OBJECTS.
>
> Well, the things that could be updated so no skins. But maybe one
> accidently slipped in.
>
> > PS I think that's probably your problem.
>
> But then why won't the game start if I take the downloads out?

Hi Taemon,

I had a thought after I posted (I was in the shower - I usually think about
other stuff in there, but anyway...).

If your lot and sim files have been corrupted by the crash, you might be
able to get the game working by removing your Neighbourhoods folder,
starting up the game and letting it create a new set for you. If it works
then, I think you can conclude that your lots and sims have been corrupted
by your first crash. Might not work but if it does, it'll save you a
reinstallation at least. If it doesn't work, you might be able to salvage
your neighbourhoods in a reinstall.

Best wishes
Maxon

> [...]
> Ergo - it doesn't matter whether you take Downloads out or not.
>
> I'm sorry to say, the only thing that seems to work in this situation is a
> complete reinstall - unless someone else has experience in finding another
> route. I didn't have this problem myself so can't help you there.
>
> Sorry that's not more encouraging.
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>

> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> > Maxon wrote:
> >
> > > When you say ALL your Downloads do you mean the skins and hacks
> > > as
> > > well as the objects? In that case, oh dear!
> > >
> > > You only update OBJECTS.
> >
> > Well, the things that could be updated so no skins. But maybe one
> > accidently slipped in.
> >
> > > PS I think that's probably your problem.
> >
> > But then why won't the game start if I take the downloads out?

One thing I did just check on...........if you run 'scan folders' in simpe
it will tell you what each thing is, whether it is a skin or object or
recolor.
Not sure if Taemon ran the scan folders to update her downloads tho.

> [...]
> Ergo - it doesn't matter whether you take Downloads out or not.
>
> I'm sorry to say, the only thing that seems to work in this situation is a
> complete reinstall - unless someone else has experience in finding another
> route. I didn't have this problem myself so can't help you there.
>
> Sorry that's not more encouraging.
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>

> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>> Maxon wrote:
>>
>> > When you say ALL your Downloads do you mean the skins and hacks
>> > as
>> > well as the objects? In that case, oh dear!
>> >
>> > You only update OBJECTS.
>>
>> Well, the things that could be updated so no skins. But maybe one
>> accidently slipped in.
>>
>> > PS I think that's probably your problem.
>>
>> But then why won't the game start if I take the downloads out?

<snipped>
One of the things it has is an automatic
> file-removal protocol. If you delete something in game (e.g. a skin
> or floor), the programme will delete all instances of that skin or
> floor in your game (so in other lots as well as the one you are
> visiting).

My game won't let me delete something if it is in use elsewhere.

Jeanie

That usually means elsewhere ON THE SAME LOT. Find the other instance(s),
delete or change it, and you should be able to delete just fine. Or go to
an empty lot and delete from there.

Best wishes
Maxon

Bluegenie2 wrote:

> One thing I did just check on...........if you run 'scan
> folders' in
> simpe it will tell you what each thing is, whether it is a skin
> or
> object or recolor.
> Not sure if Taemon ran the scan folders to update her downloads
> tho.

I used the scan plugin from PE and updated everything that PE
said was "not EP-ready". So there shouldn't have been skins in it
but it was a whole lot and I guess it doesn't surprise me
anything went wrong.

T.

Maxon wrote:

> Hi Taemon,
>
> I had a thought after I posted (I was in the shower - I usually
> think
> about other stuff in there, but anyway...).

Do tell :)

> If your lot and sim files have been corrupted by the crash, you
> might
> be able to get the game working by removing your Neighbourhoods
> folder, starting up the game and letting it create a new set
> for you.
> If it works then, I think you can conclude that your lots and
> sims
> have been corrupted by your first crash. Might not work but if
> it
> does, it'll save you a reinstallation at least.

You mean, in that case I have to start over but I won't have to
reinstall?

> If it doesn't work, you might be able to salvage your
> neighbourhoods in a reinstall.

You mean, I back my neighbourhood up, reinstall and put the
neighbourhood back?

Just checking here :)

But if scenario #2 is in order, wouldn't the whole thing crash
again because I screwed up some downloads that are in use in that
neighbourhood?

T.

Maxon wrote:

> Hi Taemon,
>
> Well, the answer to your question is I don't know. BUT here
> are two
> points to consider,
>
> 1. You say that you updated the 'things that could be
> updated'.
> Unfortunately, this plug in for SimPE, AFAIK anyway, doesn't
> discriminate between object recolours and skins (you shouldn't
> need
> to update new object meshes either - just the recolours).

Ah.

> If you went through your Downloads folder and it has mixed
> skins, objects,
> recolours and hacks in there and you just selected them in
> large
> blocks to update according to whether they were
> University-ready or
> not without checking carefully you were selecting object
> recolours
> only (there's usually loads to update and the skin files will
> tell
> you they are not compatible with University just like the
> objects)
> you may well have updated skins without meaning to.

I might.

> I've come across
> several people who have done this (are you reading this
> Granny?) and
> buggered up their game big time. However, that might not even
> be
> important - it may be just a corrupted object, sim or lot file.

Not likely - after the last time I played I just download a few
walls. I also did the PE-thing and that sounds to me quite more
crash-savy.

> 2. The way the game is designed has many hidden and unexpected
> features. One of the things it does is update sim and lot files
> at
> points you might not expect it - like when the game is loading.

Oh.

> That is, as well as reading the files, it can also write. It
> has a sort
> of house-cleaning objective. One of the things it has is an
> automatic
> file-removal protocol. If you delete something in game (e.g. a
> skin
> or floor), the programme will delete all instances of that skin
> or
> floor in your game (so in other lots as well as the one you are
> visiting). If you delete material from outside the game, this
> can
> cause problems because the house-cleaning routines can't take
> place
> (this doesn't seem to affect walls and floors).

I'll keep that in mind, but I hardly ever delete files from
outside the game. I did it once, when Clean Installer indicated a
double name or some such (the pink bar). That is ages ago.

> So when you load up
> a lot with that deleted skin, it can cause corruption. If it's
> only
> one object or skin we are talking about (and something else
> seems to
> happen with the skins but that's another story), the game can
> usually
> cope on the fly, so to speak. The game designers did this, I
> think,
> you
> remember in Sims 1, lots of problems were caused by objects
> having
> the same GUIDs (which would make the game crash) or that were
> corrupted.

I vaguely seem to remember some such.

> As far as I can tell, the game designers have sought to
> avoid some of those problems by giving the game this
> house-cleaning
> aspect, though the repeat-number thing has only been partially
> addressed. Anyway, as the game loads, it will check for
> problems and
> try to deal with them. If you've corrupted a whole pile of
> files by
> updating them, the likelihood is the game is trying to sort out
> the
> mess by cleaning out instances of the files in game, writing
> over lot
> and sim files here there and everywhere, then failing to cope
> and
> then crashing. I am speculating here - I'm not saying this is
> the
> case - but that's what I suspect is happening. When you try to
> load
> again, you have a new set of lot and sim files which got
> corrupted by
> the crash and the game won't load. Ergo - it doesn't matter
> whether
> you take Downloads out or not.

This sounds very probable.

> I'm sorry to say, the only thing that seems to work in this
> situation
> is a complete reinstall - unless someone else has experience in
> finding another route. I didn't have this problem myself so
> can't
> help you there.

Meaning throwing away my sims AND my downloads? That's harsh, but
I won't lose sleep over it. I'm going to enjoy getting new
downloads :) And I _was_ getting a bit bored... But I'm sorry
to lose those family trees. I don't like raising children and I
was finally getting something in the way of generations. Oh well.
I kinda like clean slates.

> Sorry that's not more encouraging.

You have been extremely helpful and you also took the time to
write all this. I'm very grateful. I will make a nice new sim and
call it Maxon :) Do you prefer male or female?

One more question. What do I do when I download new stuff and it
isn't EP-compatible? Any way to do this in a safe way? Oh, I now
remember - PE said something about "corrupted compression" or
something - don't quite remember. Now it says "OK" about every
file. I don't know if that means anything to you.

You and Bluegenie2 have both been very helpful. Thank you.

T.

If you do find out that you need to reinstall, most sites have redone their
stuff so that it is ep compatible now. Except me, lol, but some of my first
stuff has been redone too.

> [...]
> lose sleep over it. I'm going to enjoy getting new downloads :) And I
> _was_ getting a bit bored... But I'm sorry to lose those family trees. I
> don't like raising children and I was finally getting something in the way
> of generations. Oh well. I kinda like clean slates.
>
>> Sorry that's not more encouraging.
>
> You have been extremely helpful and you also took the time to write all
> this. I'm very grateful. I will make a nice new sim and call it Maxon :)
> Do you prefer male or female?
>
> One more question. What do I do when I download new stuff and it isn't
> EP-compatible? Any way to do this in a safe way? Oh, I now remember - PE
> said something about "corrupted compression" or something - don't quite
> remember. Now it says "OK" about every file. I don't know if that means
> anything to you.
>
> You and Bluegenie2 have both been very helpful. Thank you.

Aw shucks - now I'm blushing. Well, I'm a girl so I suppose I prefer that!
Are you going to make Bluegenie too? I'm very colour-orientated and her
name conjures up some odd images for me.

As far as new objects are concerned I think BG already said most places have
updated their objects now - if not, you can use SimPE but MAKE SURE you
update recolours ONLY. It does work ok, honest. Corrupted compression -
that sounds like trouble but I'm no expert on SimPE - if you really want to
know, try the site and if you can't find anything, email them and ask.

Hope it goes well.

Best wishes
Maxon

> Aw shucks - now I'm blushing. Well, I'm a girl so I suppose I prefer
> that!
> Are you going to make Bluegenie too? I'm very colour-orientated and her
> name conjures up some odd images for me.

Remember the big blue genie from aladdin? Well think of him as my uncle or
something, lol. When I was first thinking of what to call myself online, I
was thinking something with blue in it and his image hit my brain, lol, so
bluegenie was born. The 2 came from my work at the time, my alias at work
was kg2........so I just got the 2 from that and became Bluegenie2 and have
been every since.
That was back in the end of 1998. I found something I liked, and stuck with
it, mostly. I've had fun with this name over the years.
Told one group of people at a game/chat site that as far as a/s/l goes, I
was 4000 yrs old, sexless and everywhere, lol. And I made a blue genie for
sims1 from the regular genie from living large.
One major thing tho, I hate being called genie.........call me blue, bg2, or
bluegenie2 and it's not BlueGenie either, lol.

> As far as new objects are concerned I think BG already said most places
> have
> updated their objects now - if not, you can use SimPE but MAKE SURE you
> update recolours ONLY. It does work ok, honest. Corrupted compression -
> that sounds like trouble but I'm no expert on SimPE - if you really want
> know, try the site and if you can't find anything, email them and ask.
>
> Hope it goes well.
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon
>
> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>>
>> You have been extremely helpful and you also took the time to
>> write all this. I'm very grateful. I will make a nice new sim and
>> call it Maxon :) Do you prefer male or female?
>>
>> One more question. What do I do when I download new stuff and it
>> isn't EP-compatible? Any way to do this in a safe way? Oh, I now
>> remember - PE said something about "corrupted compression" or
>> something - don't quite remember. Now it says "OK" about every
>> file. I don't know if that means anything to you.
>>
>> You and Bluegenie2 have both been very helpful. Thank you.
>>
>> T.

> Remember the big blue genie from aladdin? Well think of him as my
> uncle or something, lol. When I was first thinking of what to call
> myself online, I was thinking something with blue in it and his image
> hit my brain, lol, so bluegenie was born. <snipped a bit>
> One major thing tho, I hate being called genie.........call me blue,
> bg2, or bluegenie2 and it's not BlueGenie either, lol.

That's okay. I'll be Jeanie. I have been for nearly 50 years. LOL

Jeanie

Jeanie wrote:

>>Remember the big blue genie from aladdin? Well think of him as my
>>uncle or something, lol. When I was first thinking of what to call
>>myself online, I was thinking something with blue in it and his image
>>hit my brain, lol, so bluegenie was born. <snipped a bit>
>>One major thing tho, I hate being called genie.........call me blue,
>>bg2, or bluegenie2 and it's not BlueGenie either, lol.
>>

> That's okay. I'll be Jeanie. I have been for nearly 50 years. LOL
>
> Jeanie

Note to self, no calling anyone bloooge.

-georg

Maxon wrote:

> Aw shucks - now I'm blushing. Well, I'm a girl so I suppose I
> prefer
> that!

Consider it done! Well, after a couple of days of downloading...

> Are you going to make Bluegenie too? I'm very
> colour-orientated and her name conjures up some odd images for
> me.

I will make a blue sim, but I'm not going to name it Bluegenie2 -
too long :) Maybe I'll call it Liu :)

T.

Maxon wrote:

>> Maxon wrote:
>>> Hi Taemon,
>>> I had a thought after I posted (I was in the shower - I
>>> usually
>>> think about other stuff in there, but anyway...).
>> Do tell :)
> Well, usually PhD stuff - nothing exciting.

Depends. What's your PhD about?

> Why I can't have these
> ideas in the Library or in front of a computer, God only knows.

And me, the cognitive psychologist who never finished PhD because
I was on a boring project!

> Favourite places for having insights: the toilet; the shower;
> on the
> bus; when I'm falling asleep. Or anywhere else inconvenient
> (e.g.
> dentist's chair). I keep a notebook and pen strapped to my
> chest.
> Sigh.

I've always one with me. I call it my KZB'tje, my Klein Zwart
Boekje. Little black book, in Dutch :)

T.

> Maxon wrote:
>
> > "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> >> You mean, in that case I have to start over but I won't have
> >> reinstall?
> > Yes, basically. It would work if your game files weren't
> > corrupted
> > but your Neighbourhood files were.
>
> Well, it worked.

Ahah! Watson, the game's afoot. I see - well, I might have been right then
(novel experience). Of course, it might be any number of things but at
least you've got your game going. I think your Downloads are buggered
except for the Objects. You should be able to retrieve them as long as you
fancy sorting through the folder and finding them all. But I think you must
bid farewell to your skins. Still there are some fabbo skin sites out there:

http://www.2-f0r-u.de/startsims2.htm

http://all-about-style.com/index.html

http://www.parsimonious.org/

http://www.alle-meine-sims2.de/

http://www.peggysims2.net/

http://www.sunairsims.net/

http://www.aroundthesims2.com/

Some of my favourite places.
Best wishes
Maxon

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in news:8nvde.7452
$l37.5764@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net:

> http://www.sunairsims.net/

Ugh. People who make sites that require flash should be flogged.

--
Mike
Maybe where the heart breaks in two

ali

Mike Andrade wrote:
> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in news:8nvde.7452
> $l37.5764@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net:
>

>>http://www.sunairsims.net/
>

> Ugh. People who make sites that require flash should be flogged.

I have tried on numerous occasions to go to that site and I can't get it
to load properly. I have the latest version of flash installed, and I
have a cable modem so I see no reason it shouldn't load for me. I've
given up on it.

Ali

Maxon wrote:

> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
>> Well, it worked.
> Ahah! Watson, the game's afoot. I see - well, I might have
> been
> right then (novel experience).

False modesty, anyone? Hm?

> Of course, it might be any number of
> things but at least you've got your game going. I think your
> Downloads are buggered except for the Objects. You should be
> able to
> retrieve them as long as you fancy sorting through the folder
> and
> finding them all.

Wouldn't know how. I don't use subfolders, since I don't browse
for certain categories - I just browse. So it's all one big heap
of stuff, which I sometimes pruned from in-game. But I've already
started to get a new... collection... :)

> But I think you must bid farewell to your skins.
> Still there are some fabbo skin sites out there:

Thank you again, Maxon. You're the best. I'll make sure it'll be
a real nice sim :)

T.

I'm a big Lord of the Rings fan <g> .. to get the nick "feawen" I used my
regular nick (one I've had since 1995) and plugged it in to get the elvish
name... You too can have an elvish name as well ...
http://www.chriswetherell.com/elf/

Fëawen Calmcacil

If you're more into Hobbits, there's a link there to find out what your
hobbit name is as well... <g>