Help OCing an i5 2500k on an ASRock P67 Extreme4 (B3) board?

chmcke01

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
I was trying to follow this OC guide:
http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

But I noticed that several options on the ASRock UEFI are different from those mentioned in the guide. I tried to follow the guide as well as I could but no matter what I tried it would either not boot at all or start to boot and BSOD. I never could get it to work so I returned it to default settings and just cranked the multiplier up to 45. It ran Prime95 for about 15 minutes before it crashed. Set the multiplier to 44 and Prime 95 ran for 3 hours with no problems. I ended up just stopping it because it never had any problems. Idle temps were roughly 20-25C and with Prime 95 running they stayed at about 45C but did occasionally break 50C. The max it ever hit during the 3 hours was 53C.

So, I have a stable 4.4 GHz, which is pretty good, but I would love to see 4.8 GHz or even 5 GHz if possible. Can anyone offer any ASRock specific advice or anyone have a similar build and can tell me their settings so I can try those?

Here is my full build info:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty 550W
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme4 B3
Processor: Intel i5 2500k
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (timings: 9-9-9-24-2N)
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB
Disk drive: Asus Black 24X SATA DVD burner
GPU: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770

Solution
Okay...

Under OC Tweaker...
Internal PLL Overvoltage: Enabled
Intel SpeedStep Technology: Enabled
Intel Turbo Boost Technology: Enabled
PCH Voltage: 1.012v
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.857v
VTT Voltage: 1.116v
VCCSA Voltage: 0.925v

Under Advanced...
CPU Configuration...
Everything should be All, Auto, or Enabled

If the Internal PLL Overvoltage setting was disabled before, you should try the Turbo 4.8GHz option again with it enabled. It may be stable with that setting enabled, and if it is you might still reach 5GHz manually. If that setting was enabled before, then you likely won't be able to get even 4.8GHz stable. I'd give the Turbo 4.6GHz preset a try to see if that's stable.

Some of the guides recommend having...
Every individual Sandy Bridge CPU has a multiplier that it cannot go past, no matter what voltage you apply or how cool you keep it. This is its "multiplier wall" and will usually indicate going above that by either not booting, or by giving BSODs like yours did.

If yours BSOD'd at the Turbo 4.8GHz preset, your maximum stable overclock is below that. Your dream of 5GHz just died ... sorry.

I'll post some ASRock-specific settings in a few minutes -- need to reboot and find out what mine are. lol

Okay...

Under OC Tweaker...
Internal PLL Overvoltage: Enabled
Intel SpeedStep Technology: Enabled
Intel Turbo Boost Technology: Enabled
PCH Voltage: 1.012v
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.857v
VTT Voltage: 1.116v
VCCSA Voltage: 0.925v

Under Advanced...
CPU Configuration...
Everything should be All, Auto, or Enabled

If the Internal PLL Overvoltage setting was disabled before, you should try the Turbo 4.8GHz option again with it enabled. It may be stable with that setting enabled, and if it is you might still reach 5GHz manually. If that setting was enabled before, then you likely won't be able to get even 4.8GHz stable. I'd give the Turbo 4.6GHz preset a try to see if that's stable.

Some of the guides recommend having the CStates, EIST, and such disabled. That's only for extreme overclocks. For everyday, you want those options enabled, as the processor was designed for those options to be working.

Solution

chmcke01

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

What is your multiplier set to? 48?

Mine is, yes. Unless that Internal PLL Overvoltage setting was disabled before, you aren't stable at 4.8GHz. You'll need to try 4.7GHz and see whether that's stable.

Oh, and by the way, three hours on Prime95 is nothing. My own personal stability tests are these:

24 hours of each of the Prime95 Torture Test settings. (yes, 24 hours of small, then 24 hours of in-place large, then 24 hours of blend)
50 runs of IntelBurnTest on Maximum stress setting.

What you want to do is find the maximum multiplier you can run 100% stable. Then find the lowest CPU voltage setting you can use while maintaining that stability. When you're trying to find the maximum multiplier and minimum voltage that works, just do one hour of Prime95. Then do a five-run IntelBurnTest pass. Once you think you've found the maximum multiplier at minimum voltage settings, then do the 24-hour Prime95 and 50-run IntelBurnTest sessions to make sure it's actually stable.

chmcke01

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
I tried your settings and they didn't work for me. Instead of booting it just went to a black screen with a white cursor flashing and would only turn off by pressing and holding the power button.

The PLL Overvoltage was disabled before. I enabled it and tried again. So far so good, Prime95 has been running for 15 minutes. Room temp is 68F, CPU idle temps were 30C and load they are averaging 60C, max temp of any core so far was 65C.

If you're going to manually overclock, then you will need to change other settings as well:

Turbo Boost Power Limit: Manual
Short Duration Power Limit: 250
Long Duration Power Limit: 200
You may also want to increase the Turbo voltage right under those settings.

Just keep the CPU voltage under 1.4v and the peak core temps under 75ºC and you should be fine for an everyday overclock that will last years.

You tried my settings at what speed? Those work fine for me at 4.8GHz, but you may need to try them at stock speed first, then increase your multiplier from there. Also, when you're trying at 4.7GHz or higher, increase the VTT Voltage to ~1.2v and see if that helps. It didn't for me, but it helps some people get stable.

chmcke01

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Is it safe to just stick with the 4.8 GHz preset? According to CPU-Z the core voltage is 1.41V. Is that OK?Temps are still averaging low 60s but have peaked a little higher. Core 0 hasn't gone above 63C, Core 1 and 2 have gone as high as 69C, and Core 3 hasn't gone above 64C.

You don't really need to worry about watching the temps. 75ºC is just a guideline, and the CPU will automatically lower its speed before it ever takes damage. The max safe core temp is 98ºC, but it's better to stay 20ºC below that for everyday operation.

As for voltage, again 1.4v is just a guideline. Most Sandy Bridge CPU wouldn't be damaged at 1.5v but we say 1.4v just because some weaker ones wouldn't last at higher than that. Keep your temps in check and the Turbo 4.8GHz setting will be fine.

Mine runs higher voltage and temps than yours, and has pretty much since I put it together in late January. I'm going to be ordering the final components for a water cooling setup in a few days to hopefully take care of the higher temps part anyway.

joostvader

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011

Hey Shadows,

Just wanted to tell you that ive been reading alot of threads and i always found that your posts are the most reliable and very accurate and informative keep up the good work!

Ive been looking around for a guide to overclock using the asrock uefi and havent found a good step by step guide like other mobo companies eg GB and asus.

I have win7 64bit a asrock extreme 4 mobo & and i5 2500k with 750w psu & 8gig ddr 1600 cl9 ram.

One thing ive found is that not many people mention about the power settings in windows putting it on high performance & if u should have IES on or off and lastly if the default overclock settings on the bios is fine to use without doing manual overclocking.

Thanks for the help keep up the good work!

joostvader

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011

Dude i have the exact same comp as u same brands same models everything besides the psu & im using stock cpu cooler rofl weird!

bevo2000

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

joostvader,

I have the same build as yours and was wondering if you found the guide?

bevo2000

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011

Hi Leaps-from-Shadows,

Do you set this under CPU Core Voltage --> Fixed Mode?

Thanks!

No. The Fixed Mode setting won't allow the CPU to go into low-voltage idle mode.

Offset Mode will give you a fixed upper voltage, plus allow the CPU to reduce the voltage at idle like it does normally. I experimented to find the Offset Mode value that would give me 1.4v or so. For my board, it was +0.075v.

...and there is no guide for ASRock P67 boards that I have found.

Lex_Sinistre

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

I hope you don't mind me joining the conversation. First off thank you to everyone for sharing info on OC' ing with this type of set up. I am thinking of having a bit of fun with my rig... basics are in the signature. I was wondering whether you get better results from slowly increasing speed through the use of the main bios as oppose to getting there via the tweak mechanism on the Asrock windows programme. I am not sure as I am a total noob at this but it has piqued my interest. Any comments (hopefully not rude..lol) appreciated.

The result will be the same either way -- each Sandy Bridge chip has a multiplier that it won't go past no matter how much voltage you give it. Finding that multiplier is fairly quick and easy -- the time consuming part is finding the minimum voltage required for that multiplier while still maintaining stability.

In overclocking my system, I jumped directly to the highest overclocking preset in my ASRock board's BIOS, which is 4.8GHz. That also happens to be the highest stable overclock speed I've gotten. My system can boot into Windows at up to 5.1GHz, but it freezes soon after. I always overclock the CPU through the BIOS -- the only overclocking software I use is for my graphics card. The overclocking programs for the CPU just don't have access to all of the settings that can make a difference while overclocking.

I have a 2500K with an ASRock P67 Extreme 4, my overclocking approach is completely different from Leaps from Shadows and also works, that's the great thing about these CPUs as they are so versatile overclocking them.

So this is not to discount what L-f-S has already posted this is another route to a solid overclock, a link to my guide is in my signature below, but fair warning it is a hardcore overclock approach.