G

i want to upgrade to quad core, i am currently useing a e6600,with to gigs of ram,my question is which is bettter for money a core i7 920 or a amd quad, would the haded multi treding from intel make a difference in the real world.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
What software do you use? because if you do media editing, play flight sims and or have a high end graphics setup then the i7 is for you. If you don't do/have any of these then stick with the amd quad core.

If you have a decent motherboard, go ahead and pop in a Q9550 or something like it.

If you are going to build a whole new computer, your decision is more difficult because in addition to AMD and i7, i5 comes soon.

G

does the intel hyper threading makes a difference, my sys spec is core 2 duo e6600@ 3ghz,ddr2 800hz,3 hd total to 2500 gb,aus 8800gt oc 10%.and a blu ray drive

G

am trying to old out until direct x 11 comes out then i will upgrade,it dont make any sence to buy a £ 200 plus gpu and in a few months time they will be out dated

I guess the question is, why do you want to upgrade? I.e., what is performing poorly such that you want to upgrade, or what do you want to accomplish? It may be that your best choice is just to wait for the new GPUs to come out.

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I'm a huge i7 fan, but they usually only start to make sense on a new build if you plan to spend $1000 or more. As jsc pointed out your most cost effective move might be to upgrade with your current MB. The phenom II quads won't really gain you anything over a c2q...but in order to make a huge gaming leap you will need to upgrade ram, gpu, and possibly PSU also. If you posted your full system specs and resolution you play at we might be able to give a little better advice.