6950 unlock issue

swindlehurst

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
ive unlocked my sapphire 2 gb 6950 with the 6970 bios im using msi afterburner to tweak the settings
it runs far cry 2 benchmark fine but when i play dawn of war retrebution the whole computer crashes after 30 seconds on the menu screen ive got to the built in benchmark once and got about half way
my settings are
Voltage 1175 880/1300
i cant see if the voltage is taking effect throuigh gpu z (i cant see it anyway)its no big issue since im having no troble running games on standard im new to this overclocking lark and fancyed a mess after seeing the results on the march sub 1000 build

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Have you tryed using a bios that has the full 6970 settings in it? I had an XFX 6950 with a sapahire bios at full 6970 settings no voltage bump at all and it ran fine. The other option is that card is not stable when its unlocked. It does happen, before I got the XFX I had a Diamond card and when unlocked I was getting artifacts on the windows desktop lol. So I would try a different bios and not toch the clocks and see if its stable. If not you just have a card that is not a good unlocker :(. Hope it helps.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Thats what I did lol. I think frys must hate me. I started with a 6870 it was cool but meh. Returned it got a Diamond 6950 unlocked it and it was artifacting like a boss. So I returned that and got a XFX 6950 unlocked like a champ. But I realized the PCI slots on my mobo are to close to XFIRE 2 of those cards and I plan on doing that. So I returned that and now have a Msi Twin Frozer, wile I cant unlock this card I will be able to crossfire it without over heating because the cooler allows for air to come in from the side. So my side case fan will help cool the 2 cards :). So in about a month and a half I burned through 3 expensive cards and returned them to frys lol.