Sign in with
Your question

I7 2600K Stock Cooler Overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
March 30, 2011 5:02:17 PM

Good afternoon,

I purchased recently the Enthusiast build in the pre made section and forgot to add in the fan. Will I be able to overclock using the settings in ASUS's bios (I believe they just have a setting you can simply click to over clock) with the fan that came with the CPU? Thank you,
a b K Overclocking
March 30, 2011 5:59:11 PM

You may be able to, but I wouldn't recommend it. The load temps will be too high. Wait to overclock until you can get a decent cooler on there.

Order up a $30 Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus cooler. That would solve your temp problem while still being cheap.
m
l
March 30, 2011 8:45:32 PM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
You may be able to, but I wouldn't recommend it. The load temps will be too high. Wait to overclock until you can get a decent cooler on there.

Order up a $30 Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus cooler. That would solve your temp problem while still being cheap.

I agree for the price of the $30 Cooler Master I would wait to start trying to do any overclocking until you have something better than stock on there.

What board specifically did you get?
m
l
Related resources
March 31, 2011 5:47:44 PM

I got the ASUS P8P67-M PRO LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 Supported Intel P67 DDR3 2200 Micro ATX Motherboard.

Ok, so I started playing with the stock cooler and like that I'm able to still play at high settings so maybe i will wait to change the cooler later on. I just wanted to make sure that I absolutely needed a better cooler before over clocking so thank you for the replies :) 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2011 12:17:21 AM

Hate to tell you this, but you most likely won't be able to overclock much on that board. The two Micro-ATX boards that ASUS sells have most of the overclocking settings and voltages disabled in the BIOS.

The auto-overclock feature may still work, but that only goes to about 4.2GHz, and most Sandy Bridge CPUs can overclock higher than that. You may also be able to overclock using Windows software that comes with the board, but that doesn't have all of the settings either.

If you really want to overclock that CPU, I definitely suggest returning that board for refund and getting a real overclocking board. The full-size ATX boards that ASUS sells are good for overclocking (except for the P8P67 LE version, which is also crippled like your Micro-ATX board). Or if you want to go cheaper, ASRock sells a nice overclocking board for $140 (the P67 Pro3, which I use to overclock my 2500K to 4.8GHz).
m
l
April 1, 2011 4:57:57 PM

4.2 would be fine with me, so do you think over clocking from 3.4 to 4.2 would really warrant needing a new cooler if i just use the preset option for over clocking in the bios?

EDIT: Also, if the board is not able to over clock why would the prebuilt section on this website suggest using the 2600k with that ASUS board? Seems kind of silly to suggest a 2600k processor if it can't over clock... no?
m
l
April 1, 2011 5:48:02 PM

Nevermind I found my answer through an interview on Newegg. I will be able to use the preset option to overclock my CPU I just can not overclock past that setting.

If using UEFI you are able to use the preset over clock option with a stock cooler.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2011 6:44:58 PM

Of course you can overclock. What people are telling you is that you should not overclock to 4.2 on the stock cooler.

Not sure what part of that your failing to understand.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2011 12:45:13 AM

I wouldn't recommend overclocking a 2600K at all until you get an aftermarket cooler. My 2500K reaches unacceptable temps when overclocked to 4.0GHz on the stock cooler, and the 2600K would be worse because of HyperThreading.

Just wait to overclock until you get a good cooler.
m
l
April 7, 2011 7:14:37 AM

I second mountain dew. it's an expensive CPU why risk shortening cpu life time when you can get good cheap HSF?
m
l
!