Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

How to know if a CPU is incompatible?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Pentium
Last response: in CPUs
August 25, 2009 12:49:33 PM

I bought a PC a while back, which had an e6600 core 2 duo in which worked fine. I wanted an 'upgrade' so went to a pentium D, Which was useless but before I found out, I sold the e6600. Just bought an e5300 to replace the pentium D, and I get no response from my PC. It powers on, But sits there and nothing happens, No post, No beeps.

Just wondering if this means that the CPU is not compatible or whether there are other errors? The CPU works as it has been tested in other boards.

I've been through everything else I can think of, Graphics, Power etc but since it works with another CPU, It probably is related with that.

I also find it wierd how it works with the e6600 but not the e5300.

Any help?

More about : cpu incompatible

August 25, 2009 1:03:55 PM

What is the model of the motherboard? If you don't have that, what is the make and model of your computer?

E5300 - http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLB...
E6600 - http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=27250&processor=E6...

I don't see why it wouldn't work with the E5300. They have thet same thermal rating and the E5300 uses a lower bus speed.

You did apply thermal paste, right?

It powers on to a black screen with nothing on it but you can hear fans running?
August 25, 2009 1:12:54 PM

Its an ECS 954P-M3, its basically an OEM 945G-M3 Without the VGA slot on the back.

Yes, Ive applied thermal paste, Arctic Silver 5.

It powers on, All the fans are running (6 Including CPU fan, Antec 902) and I can hear the hard drives spin up, But still just a black screen.

Ive tried unplugging all but the necessities, So Ive just had the PSU plugged in and the graphics card but still nothing.
Related resources
August 25, 2009 1:22:12 PM

With that additional information I still don't see why it can't handle the E5300 that has the lower bus speed and same thermal envelope.

Is the four-pin power connector inserted properly on the motherboard?

You've done a lot of the stuff I would have recommended to do... I saw someone in a previous thread recommend to try removing everything from the case and reassemble outside of the case just to make sure everything was connected properly.

Sorry, I'm not of much assistance in this case.
August 25, 2009 1:33:05 PM

Both 24 Pin and 4 pin connected. And I'd rather throw myself off a bridge than reassemble it outside the case, Spent hours managing the wires in this case.

If the processor were compatible with my board, And it had simply died. Would it be the same case or would it actually get into the bios? Im starting to think it may actually be dead, Because when I say it has been tested, It was tested at a friends and then mailed to be, It could have been killed on the way here.
August 25, 2009 1:40:58 PM

UnworthyBean said:
Both 24 Pin and 4 pin connected. And I'd rather throw myself off a bridge than reassemble it outside the case, Spent hours managing the wires in this case.

If the processor were compatible with my board, And it had simply died. Would it be the same case or would it actually get into the bios? Im starting to think it may actually be dead, Because when I say it has been tested, It was tested at a friends and then mailed to be, It could have been killed on the way here.

This is where it gets sticky, because it could be several different things:

- Motherboard could be fried
- Processors could be fried
- Video card could be fried
- RAM could be fried

But we can apply some logic to this and narrow it down. It is probably not the video card or RAM, because you would get some kind of POST error, whether it be indicated by POST LED lights or POST beeps. However, it may be worth while to do a quick video card swap if you have another one lying around. You may also want to try to remove extra RAM and try it with just one stick, if that stick doesn't work, try the other.

Based on what we have so far, I would guess it to be a motherboard or processor issue. If you haven't done so, reset\clear the CMOS by jumpering and\or pulling out the battery. If there's a funked up BUS speed setting that may clear it out.

Other than that, unless you have extra LGA 775 motherboards and processors laying around, you'll have a hard time identifying if it's the motherboard or processor.
August 25, 2009 1:49:20 PM

I've tried literally everything. I know a store nearby which, If i buy a new Mobo and it turns out to be my Processor I can take it back.

I've been wanting a proper ATX board for a while anyway, To fill up the extra space in my Antec 902, So the time has come.

It'll probably require a reinstal of windows, So luckily I have my discs and also a brand new Vista disc that is going spare should it require it.

So if this works, Means I have the new mobo that I've always been wanting.

If it doesn't, Then I've narrowed it down by one piece of hardware, Lucky me!

I'll probably report back in a few hours once I get it set up, Should be fun.
August 25, 2009 1:50:45 PM

UnworthyBean said:
I'll probably report back in a few hours once I get it set up, Should be fun.

Good luck! New mobos are always fun!
August 25, 2009 6:34:53 PM

:bounce: 

It works! Bit of a pain trying to get in wired up, Since the 24pin is in the worst position ever, But got all the main bits and bobs in and I got to the bios. Plugged my Hard Drives in, I thought I was going to hit a problem here since they're in Raid 0, But plugged them in, Quickly set the Sata to Raid and it booted up no problem into Windows, Wasn't connected to the internet so is was still in 800x600 so it looked ugly, But it definetly works.

Now just to spend 2 hours wiring everything else up, Hiding the wires and reinstalling drivers.

Oh, And another good thing, I managed to find the E6600 when looking for a screwdriver. I was 150% sure that I'd sold it, But obviously I haven't. Luckily that'll pay for my new mobo and a little more :lol: 

Couldn't be happier, A nice new full mobo to fill my case and for free. :pt1cable: 
August 25, 2009 7:21:23 PM

UnworthyBean said:
Plugged my Hard Drives in, I thought I was going to hit a problem here since they're in Raid 0, But plugged them in, Quickly set the Sata to Raid and it booted up no problem into Windows

You better go buy a lottery ticket.

August 25, 2009 7:23:03 PM

Woohoo! I'm glad everything worked out for you! Have a great one!
August 25, 2009 7:36:37 PM

knotknut said:
You better go buy a lottery ticket.

Is that as in im lucky not to have to reinstall windows? I thought the same.
August 25, 2009 7:44:27 PM

UnworthyBean said:
Is that as in im lucky not to have to reinstall windows? I thought the same.

LOL yeah, beyond that, the RAID worked as well. I would say you probably don't even need to look when crossing the street for the rest of the day.
August 25, 2009 8:06:22 PM

Glad you solved your problem but did you even try updating the BIOS for the motherboard? Because the e5300 first came out in the 2008 and the e6600 came out in 2006. If your motherboard doesnt have an updated BIOS and you said you bought your PC awhile back, than likely the e5300 wouldn't be compatible and you wouldn't be able to boot up.

Try updating the BIOS and if it works you have another thing you can sell :) 
August 25, 2009 8:43:32 PM

How would I do a bios update if I cant get any video?
August 25, 2009 9:24:45 PM

UnworthyBean said:
How would I do a bios update if I cant get any video?

Didn't you say you found your old processor?