Sign in with
Your question

Converting flash drive from raw to fat32

Last response: in Storage
January 19, 2011 10:44:01 AM

i have a 2 GB flash drive that its file system is raw and is detecting 8 MB as its capacity, i have tried all i could to format it but cant please help.
a b G Storage
January 19, 2011 12:35:58 PM

Could be dead. What are you doing to format it?
January 20, 2011 6:29:40 AM

i tried the normal format process but it doesn't complete the process, i also tried command, that is; format F: /fs:fat32 , this process formats but when it requres drive name and i type it say bad sector! is it really dead?
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 20, 2011 11:07:09 AM

Only thing left to try is a "zero fill". Find a tool that puts zeros in EVERY sector of the drive. Ultimate boot disk should have one.
January 20, 2011 11:46:08 AM

4745454b said:
Only thing left to try is a "zero fill". Find a tool that puts zeros in EVERY sector of the drive. Ultimate boot disk should have one.

what tool should i use? please help
a b G Storage
January 20, 2011 11:57:07 AM

2GB flash drives are what, 5 bucks? Would you trust your data on a drive that has a bad sector? Throw it out.
February 13, 2012 5:43:50 AM

hey guy all i can say is that ur flash has lost its filing system and raw filing systems cannot be formated and neither can chkdsk utility work on it. all u need to do is to get it converted back to FAT32. I dont know how u are gonna do it because am in the same scenario en am trying to do that. i will update u incase of any success. kokas allan, UCU, Mukono, UGANDA
January 7, 2013 10:23:59 AM

kevmarkz said:
i have a 2 GB flash drive that its file system is raw and is detecting 8 MB as its capacity, i have tried all i could to format it but cant please help.

HEY you can try using ease us partition master 9.1.1 professional edition... it really does the magic.. atleast it did the magic for me.
January 9, 2013 3:55:44 AM

Is there something important on this drive?
Apparently, the RAW format problem only can be resolved by re-formatting.

However, if you have stored something important on this drive, you have to recover it at the aid of a reliable recovery tool before the formatting. If you have no idea about the recovery stuff, you could try a free RAW drive recovery tool that has helped my friend recover his inaccessible videos, pictures and files from his RAW drive. He has got back all his data. You should try it!

As to the format it, you could try my way:
Right click “My Computer” =>Select “Manage”=> Choose “Disk Management” => Right click your drive on the list => format it.
Don't work?
You'd better search some format software to help you.
Good luck!
January 9, 2013 11:38:05 PM

http://www.squidoo.com/raw-drive

This one is for raw drive recovery. The usb is damaged and would report raw. You won't be able to convert it directly from raw to fat32.

If you have data inside, you may try the squidoo advice and download the freeware to get your data inside out of the raw drive.

October 9, 2013 2:02:43 AM

kevmarkz said:

!