Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best OC Mobo for i5-750

Last response: in Motherboards
November 10, 2009 4:47:51 PM

I'm strongly considering a CPU/Mobo/RAM upgrade for Christmas (or earlier) this year. This is in part to feed my own desire to be more up to date, and also because I can use my existing Q6600/680i/DDR2 setup to update my wife's PC (Athlon X2 4400+).

Here's an example of what I'm currently looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

When I got my Q6600 a while back, I made the mistake of going with the 680i chipset, which isn't that great for OC'ing Quads. I don't want to do that again this time around. Budget wise however, I'm looking at the i5-750 based on it's price and over-all performance. I've considered AMD's PII's, but the i5-750 seems to even beat out the PII 965 BE when both are at stock speeds (i5 @ 2.66Ghz / 965 @ 3.4Ghz). So what's the point?

Requirements:
1156 Socket Type (P55 Boards)
SLI Capability (I have 2 GTX 260's now)
Very good possibility of hitting at least 4Ghz OC on CPU.
IDE Connections (still have couple IDE optical drives)

As Cheap as I can get without seriously compromising performance/reliability. Also, somewhat worried (not hugely) about the issue Tom's discussed a couple days ago about some of the P55 boards dying after OC'ing due to chipset issues?

I've read several reviews/benchmarks on the Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, & EVGA boards and unfortunately I'm really not sure which is my best choice. Each review I've read seems to have a slightly different takes. I'm a gamer, so gaming performance is my overall goal.

I guess I'm looking for experienced feedback from owners who can give me their opinions on the boards they've purchased. :) 

More about : mobo 750

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2009 7:44:59 PM

Well you have a few options, one thing you should take into consideration is the fact that you will not be able to run both GPU's at x16 due to the PCI-E limit on LGA 1566 boards. Of course this should not be a huge issue since the performance hit is a around 6-7% overall. The combo you selected is a very good choice since you are paying around 400.00$ after shipping and rebates but IMO the RAM that comes with that combo is kinda sketchy. The only RAM that seems to have a good track record is G.Skill and Patriot. Some OCZ's are ok but for some reason they are having their share of bad batches.

As far as OC'ing beyond 4Ghz, you should be able to hit at least 4.3Ghz on AIR without a hitch using that specific GB board.

I built a PC using these parts about 3 weeks ago :

ASRock P55 Extreme LGA 1156
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (x2 in CF)

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2

Was able to get 4Ghz with tolerable temps but the owner stated he did not want more than 3.5Ghz. Also remember that for daily tasks/gaming/apps anything over 3.8Ghz not noticible unless you are benchmarking...
November 10, 2009 8:06:50 PM

Thanks for your reply OvrClkr. I've always been a Corsair memory fan, and they've never given me a problem before. OCZ is something I've never dealt with. Nor have I owned any G.Skill stuff either.

The biggest thing for me is the motherboard. The combo deals certainly help shave money off the whole thing (which is important) but I want to make sure I'm getting a rock solid board. Reading about P55 boards having faulty chips doesn't help any. ;) 

I also looked at the AsRock motherboard on NewEgg, but I've never done business with AsRock either. I like the $139 price point though. :) 

Here's a cheap setup with the AsRock & GSkill RAM:

Plus

Ends up @ $420.
Score
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2009 8:30:22 PM

That is an excellent combo there, I guess you cannot go wrong as long as you get your-self a board witha decent track record. I have built around 7 PC's including mines using Asrock boards among others and have not had one issue so far (knock on wood)...

The P55 Extreme is excellent and it's OC'ing capabilities are superb. Have not tried any other P55 boards but I bet Asus, GB, EVGA and MSI should be good contenders as well. I just find the Extreme to be a steal for 139.99$

As far as the RAM goes, I forgot to mention Corsair as well, but since I have not used Corsair recently I would not know. On the other hand I have seen XMS3's on many P55 builds as well.

If I had the money for a whole new platform, I would get the Extreme/750/Ripjaws w/o thinking twice. I don't think there is a better upgrade for such a budget.
Score
November 10, 2009 8:50:38 PM

I just read a review of the ASRock P55 Extreme that says it has support for socket 755 coolers. Wonder if my Xiggy will fit. That would save on the upgrade costs quite a bit. I have another 755 cooler that's almost as good that I can put on my current board for my wife's use. :) 
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2009 8:57:32 PM

Im not 100% sure if the S1283 will fit but you can give it a try. I know that the Freezer 7 and Hyper 212 fit snug =)
Score
November 10, 2009 9:10:21 PM

Found a thread which indicates someone used the Dark Knight on their ASRock P55 Extreme. The Dark Knight I believe is the same technically speaking as my original HDT-S1283. So I guess theoretically it should work.
Score
November 10, 2009 10:24:32 PM

I have to say, not that I'm opposed to the ASRock board, but I'm pretty attracted to the Gigabyte boards.
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 10, 2009 10:38:05 PM

The GB is also a great choice, just have not built one yet. As long as you don't buy an Intel or Elite-group you should be fine =), IMO it's more a matter of taste ....

Score
November 11, 2009 5:03:43 PM

So after reading Tom's review today on Enthusiast P55 boards, I'm really leaning toward the Gigabyte UD4 board. Here's what I'm tempted to do:

Gigabyte P55-UD4P $149 @ Tiger Direct (Free Shipping)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

i5-750 + GSkill DDR3 1600 @ NewEgg.com (Free Shipping)

Total of $434.97.00

However, this would mean I either need a new aftermarket cooler, or need to locate a modified bracket for the S1283 I already have (preferred).
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 11, 2009 5:23:01 PM

I linked the bracket at newegg (out of stock). Im sure frozencpu.com or zipzoomfly will have them.
Score
November 11, 2009 6:15:48 PM

Awesome. Thx guys :)  Going to mull this over a couple days and see if I can get away with ordering this upgrade without the wife getting to upset about it. ;) 
Score
November 12, 2009 6:35:05 PM

Okay, placed my order today. Unfortunately, TigerDirect raised their price on the Gigabyte board today by $10. I was a bit annoyed to see this considering it wasn't "on sale" yesterday.

So, NewEgg.com got my business (yet again!).

GSkill 2x2GB DDR3-1600 (12800) 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5V $94.99 (Free Shipping)

Combo Deal:
Intel i5-750 (Retail) & Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P $369.98 -$25 Combo Deal = $344.98 (Free Shipping)

Grand Total:
$439.97

Having trouble finding someone who has the XIGMATEK ACK-I5361 in stock though.
Score
November 12, 2009 6:42:04 PM

Wow, by the way just got this in my email. If anyone is in need of a whole new system:

i5-750 CPU + HAF Case + 700W Coolermaster PSU + ASUS P7P55D for $489

I don't need the case, nor the PSU (and this bundle has no RAM). But that PSU wouldn't be a bad upgrade for my wife's system for future purposes. :)  LOL
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2009 6:44:23 PM

Just a 60 dollar discount and the coolermaster PSU's are not the greatest.... That's why it's on the combo =)
Score
November 12, 2009 6:52:13 PM

Yeah I know. I've always been an Antec PSU kind of guy. They have served me very well over the years. Now if only I can find somewhere to order that Xiggy bracket from I'll be set. Otherwise I might be stuck using the Retail boxed cooler for a few days..... *ACK*

BTW, OvrClkr, I'm gonna go ahead and give you the "Best Answer" award. lol Though I chose a different motherboard, I did end up going with the RAM you suggested. For the money, it looks like the best set available. Decent timings, and a 1.5V power draw is fairly low from the units in that price range. Though I did notice GSkill has some DDR3 units on their website that run 1.35V. I'm sure they are fairly spendy though.
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 12, 2009 7:17:25 PM

Thanks dude!! I just wanted you to know that the Asrock Extreme was a flawless board for the price. There really is no such thing as the "Best" board when in fact the best is what works for you. As long as the board has all the bells and whistles that YOU will use, then that is considered the "BEST" in my opinion. Now, when it comes to overclocking and so forth, there are boards that are better than others but not by a wide margin. All brands with the exeption of INTEL and ELITEGROUP are considered good buys, of course there are a few good brands that have their share of not so good boards, but as long as you buy something with a decent/good track record you should be fine.

As far as the RAM goes, the modules that you picked are superb, the best thing about them is they do not run hot like other models. I even overvolted them a bit and they did't flinch... Anyways let me know how your build went once you are done....

Score
November 13, 2009 3:14:42 PM

UPS says I should receive my order on November 17th. I always end up ordering toward the end of the week, and UPS doesn't work on Sat/Sunday apparently. ;) 

Hopefully the install process goes flawless Tuesday night. I'll have to start by removing my current components and putting them in my wife's system.

Then I can assemble my new system. Should be a fun evening. :)  Hopefully nothing comes DOA. Now if only I can find the Xiggy bracket and get it here by Tuesday as well. Not into having to install the fan twice if I don't have too.
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 13, 2009 3:40:36 PM

You should be fine as far as the building goes, just make sure you are grounded before you touch the mobo.

Im still reaserching the availabilty of the bracket... Will keep you posted =)
Score
November 18, 2009 2:48:33 AM

Got everything installed tonight without a hitch. Everything went in well. Have to say, I don't think I've had a new mobo install go as smoothly as this. :)  So I'm pretty happy there.

Only thing I had to do was activate the extreme profile for the RAM. The motherboard defaulted it to 1333, instead of it's rated 1600 @ 9-9-9-24. The board did however, properly identify it's 1.5V power need. All I did was activate the extreme memory profile, and it set everything perfectly.

The stock Intel cooler that comes with the i5-750 is pretty.... tiny. LOL Though it keeps me 44-47C on each core at "idle" (while web browsing). I ran Prime 95 (4 threads) and had all 4 cores at 100% for just a couple minutes. High temps were 64-68C on the cores.

Have not tried any OC or anything yet. I think I want to wait until I can get my real cooler on this thing first. Not much point in trying to push it when this stock cooler puts me up to 68C on one of the cores @ 100%

Now if only NewEgg.com or someone would get that Xiggy 1156 bracket in stock again.
Score
November 18, 2009 4:05:33 PM

Xigmatek Crossbow ACK-I5361 Update:

I contacted Xigmatek USA today by phone (+1 888 839 6898). A representative there informed me that they're currently waiting on a shipment of these kits that they expected to receive LAST WEEK. However, he said they've had Customs delays or something like that.

He was hoping their online retailers like NewEgg might have them in stock again by the end of this week perhaps. I thought I'd share this with everyone in case anyone else has been trying to find one of these kits.

*crosses fingers*
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2009 6:12:50 PM

yep, there are a few here on Toms that are waiting on the bracket as well.... makes no sense that it has taken this long to have them in stock...
Score
November 18, 2009 7:41:15 PM

True enough. I just hope I'm able to get one ordered before they go back out of stock again. LOL Who knows. Probably shipping out of Tawain, and shipping on a big freight ship that's dealing with pirate attacks...

I'm itching to get my Xiggy on this i5 so I can start to truly play with it and this Gigabyte board. :) 
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 18, 2009 8:45:55 PM

Very glad to hear you had good luck with that combo.

On Sunday I stopped of @ microcenter and picked up same MB & Proc ($325)
and when I got home I ordered the G-Skill RipJaw 7-7-7-24 Memory - should be here tomarrow. Already have 80 Gig Intel G2 SSD and a Thermaltake VK6000 Case (Basiclly free with the SSD as a combo).
Score
November 19, 2009 2:48:15 AM

Nice. :)  Nice timings on that RAM. Is it the 1333 or 1600Mhz stuff?

I used Gigabyte's EasyTune 6 program this evening just for fun. It gives you three automatic OC options (1, 2, 3). It offers to automatically OC the i5-750 to 2.8Ghz, 3Ghz, or 3.2Ghz.

Everything booted up fine @ both 2.8Ghz and 3Ghz seemingly without voltage change on ET6's part. Prime 95 seemed stable for several minutes. However, since I'm stuck with Intel's boxed cooler, I didn't try the 3.2Ghz. Unfortunately, Prime 95 puts my CPU at about 73C @ 3Ghz (Turbo'd to 3.1Ghz).

So I've restored default clock settings for now. Was nice to see one of the reviews I read was correct. It appears you really can OC this sucker to 3.2Ghz without having to modify the voltage. Pretty substantial OC for not having to bump up voltage if you ask me.

Can't wait until I can finally get my Xiggy cooler on here. Part of me is tempted to find another good 1156 cooler and just order one. I'm itching to do some OC testing. :) 

EDIT: BTW, I installed Gigabyte's @Bios program and downloaded and installed their latest Bios. My board shipped with "F3" on it. Their latest is "F4". However, even though it said it was successful, after reboot it claims to still be using the F3 bios version. So either it just simply didn't work, or the Dual-Bios setup restored the initial one for some reason...
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 19, 2009 4:37:39 AM

The i5 at 3Ghz is plenty for any task, unless you are the impatient kind....

after 3.8Ghz there is no point so don't go bonkers trying to push that CPU to it's limits....well, maybe for benching, but that's about it....

as far as the bios, check it using CPU-Z.... CPU-Z will give you accurate bios info under "Mainboard"
Score
November 19, 2009 5:26:16 AM

CPU-Z Confirms it is "F3". Weird. :)  Will have to try again in the future perhaps. Otherwise, it works fine at this point. So there may not really be a reason to update. Will have to read the change log for the BIOS update and see if it's even worth doing I guess.
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 19, 2009 1:10:55 PM

Make sure the most updated Bios does not have anything important that you might need, meaning if your PC works fine at the rated speeds and lets say the Bios only fixes minor issues then don't bother.

These are the updates that the F4 will provide :

Enhance memory capability
Improve KMPlayer and GOM Player compatibility
Fix iphone sync issue
Score
November 21, 2009 1:20:30 AM

NewEgg.com now has the Xigmatek ACK-i5361 bracket back in stock as of this evening. Just placed my order, plus some AS5, and an extra Thermaltake iCage for my case.

Cooler is better.
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 21, 2009 4:54:45 PM

sweet... you are all set =)
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2009 5:18:03 AM

After the fact comment.
Recommend you use QFlash from the BIOS and not @BIOS program. There have been several posts of @Bios hosing up the Bios. You do not need a floppy drive, just copy the dot Fx to root directory on C: drive. (That's was what I did last night when I upgraded to the F4 bios.

I ran Prime95 Last night at stock and at 3.2 and My core temps were 48 -> 50 C. Your HSF is probably better than Mine, I have the Zalman 9700. For the 3.2 OC the ONLY thing I did was change the CPU multiplier from 17 to 20.
Score
November 23, 2009 2:25:01 AM

I actually did end up getting the F4 BIOS to update just fine using the @Bios program a couple days ago. Instead of letting the program download the BIOS, I manually downloaded it onto the desktop. Went without a hitch. :) 

I should be receiving my HSF bracket via UPS sometime this next week. Once I get my Xigmatek S1283 installed I'll report back with temperatures. As of right now, I'm running everything at stock since I'm being forced to use the Intel stock cooler.
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 23, 2009 2:28:00 AM

yea, post an update once you are done installing the new cooler ......
Score
November 24, 2009 1:09:03 AM

Goodness. Still no email from NewEgg on shipment. However, logging in says they "Shipped" today. Their estimated UPS ETA is 11/30/09. Having a mid week Holiday apparently is pushing a 3 day ground shipping to a solid 7 days.
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 24, 2009 3:06:03 AM

jerreece, You asked "Is it the 1333 or 1600Mhz stuff?" - It was 1600 1.6 volts

Interested in how your S1382 does, I think I'm going to redo mine using AS 5.

I tried loading ET6 into Win 7 RC - no workee. I have not loaded my upgrade version yet as I am waiting for Intel to get there Firmware for their SSD FIXED! - suppost to be by the end of the month. I did try installing Vista Windows mail program into Win 7 - seems to work, Need to config it (Have to figure out my Password).

Also noted that CPUID HWMonitor does not display my +12 V and is incorrect on +5V usb. Same same with Speed fan. Using DVM, they are fine +5 = 4.99 V and + 12v = 12.3 V. Have to wait tell the fix their program.
Score
November 25, 2009 1:47:53 AM

Yeah, I noticed I sometimes had to attempt to open ET6 a couple times, and eventually realized that it by default would minimize into the hidden icons group on the taskbar. Would appear that it never opened, but it was hiding automatically. Sorta dumb it does that.

I didn't notice any CPUID issues here. But then again I didn't really pay attention to all the voltage readouts either, was only paying attention to temperatures.

I can't wait until Monday (11/30) when I finally get my bracket. I really wanna get my Xiggy installed and start tweaking the CPU and RAM. :)  See what I can get out of this thing.

EDIT: Noticed some false reading on my CPUID software as well...

Score
December 1, 2009 2:53:22 AM

Okay, just got my Xiggy installed. Got Windows to boot with the following settings:

200 x 20 = 4Ghz @ 1.32V CPU (All else Auto)

I turned off the C1E, etc. Also turned off Turbo Boost. Load Line Calibration is on Auto (disabling showed a large VDroop & was unstable in Prime95)

Idle temps are 34-40C depending on core. Quite a variation between cores though. May not have gotten a great seat on my cooler, or didn't get the AS5 distributed well enough or something.

So far Prime95 is stable after about 23 minutes anyhow. Showing some good maximum temps with all 4 cores @ 100%.

Of Note: I did notice while mounting the 1156 Xiggy bracket, that the metal plate behind the CPU socket is labeled "Foxconn". This is a bummer considering I thought I'd read somewhere that my motherboard didn't use the Foxconn chip.
Score
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2009 4:44:06 AM

That has to do with the socket and not the board it self. Foxconn makes the sockets for several boards.
Score
December 6, 2009 1:56:05 AM

So I removed my HDT-S1283 tonight, and quickly discovered that I had probably put way to much AS5 on. I wasn't happy with the spread I had with temperatures between CPU cores. So I cleaned off the CPU and heat pipes on my cooler using91% Ispropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol).

Reapplied everything using the two line approach. Two thin lines of AS5 perpendicular to the heat pipes on the cooling unit itself. Got everything reinstalled and booted up. Everything still runs fine, still stable @ 4Ghz with 1.32V.

Still a huge spread in temps on my cores. After 6 minutes of Prime 95 my lowest core is showing a Max temp of 64C, where as the hottest core's max is 70C (according to CPU-ID HWMonitor).

RealTemp (not calibrated) shows them to be 66C on lowest, and 72C on hottest.

Obviously I understand there's some variation, but a 6 degree difference just seems odd to me.

Great thing is though, within 2 seconds of stopping Prime95 my hottest core drops to 48C. After about 1 minute at "idle" it shows as 41C. So obviously I haven't a lack of cooling considering it's pushing 4Ghz.
Score
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2009 3:05:55 PM

jerreece - Question, In HWMonitor, What is your CPU Power. I noted at Stock the i5-750 is approx 53 W, at 3.2 GHZs it approx 110 W.
Score
a b V Motherboard
December 6, 2009 4:15:16 PM

jerreece said:
So I removed my HDT-S1283 tonight, and quickly discovered that I had probably put way to much AS5 on. I wasn't happy with the spread I had with temperatures between CPU cores. So I cleaned off the CPU and heat pipes on my cooler using91% Ispropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol).

Reapplied everything using the two line approach. Two thin lines of AS5 perpendicular to the heat pipes on the cooling unit itself. Got everything reinstalled and booted up. Everything still runs fine, still stable @ 4Ghz with 1.32V.

Still a huge spread in temps on my cores. After 6 minutes of Prime 95 my lowest core is showing a Max temp of 64C, where as the hottest core's max is 70C (according to CPU-ID HWMonitor).

RealTemp (not calibrated) shows them to be 66C on lowest, and 72C on hottest.

Obviously I understand there's some variation, but a 6 degree difference just seems odd to me.

Great thing is though, within 2 seconds of stopping Prime95 my hottest core drops to 48C. After about 1 minute at "idle" it shows as 41C. So obviously I haven't a lack of cooling considering it's pushing 4Ghz.

Those temps are fine, try downloading speedfan and compare your temps with all the other programs you are using. On my system speedfan is the most accurate out of all 3. Maybe by a -1/+1c difference, so nothing to worry about. What is/was your room temp when you posted those numbers?

Score
December 7, 2009 12:55:45 AM

RetiredChief said:
jerreece - Question, In HWMonitor, What is your CPU Power. I noted at Stock the i5-750 is approx 53 W, at 3.2 GHZs it approx 110 W.

Here's a screenshot taken at idle. The screenshots I provided up above apparently don't resize, so you can't really see them. However, those screenshots above were taken during Prime95 testing, and it also indicated the same 95W Processor Power. Interesting that mine shows 95W @ 4Ghz while you had shown 110W @ 3.2Ghz.

Using the latest HWMonitor 1.15 64bit
Score
December 7, 2009 12:59:53 AM

OvrClkr said:
Those temps are fine, try downloading speedfan and compare your temps with all the other programs you are using. On my system speedfan is the most accurate out of all 3. Maybe by a -1/+1c difference, so nothing to worry about. What is/was your room temp when you posted those numbers?

I actually read some interesting tidbits at the Power Up forums. Unclewebb advised he thinks Intel set different TJMax settings for Core 0, versus Core 1, 2, 3 for purposes of thermal shut down limits and such. I guess Core 0 may purposely read higher than the others to initialize throttling and such ahead of the other cores (presumably to keep you from getting to the real danger thermal limit in the first place).

He'd commented that it could be a literal offset of 5C.

Anyhow, I posted a couple screens with my Sensor Test from RealTemp on their forums in hopes they might be able to give me some input as to calibrating Real Temp. I have however, compared Real Temp with HWMonitor and they are off by about 2C. However both show the same levels of variation between my CPU cores temp wise.
Score
May 26, 2010 8:53:03 PM

jerreece said:
I actually read some interesting tidbits at the Power Up forums. Unclewebb advised he thinks Intel set different TJMax settings for Core 0, versus Core 1, 2, 3 for purposes of thermal shut down limits and such. I guess Core 0 may purposely read higher than the others to initialize throttling and such ahead of the other cores (presumably to keep you from getting to the real danger thermal limit in the first place).

He'd commented that it could be a literal offset of 5C.

Anyhow, I posted a couple screens with my Sensor Test from RealTemp on their forums in hopes they might be able to give me some input as to calibrating Real Temp. I have however, compared Real Temp with HWMonitor and they are off by about 2C. However both show the same levels of variation between my CPU cores temp wise.

I have same problem, i don't know is that problem or normal, but diference between core on my i5 750 on stock speed is 4C
On idle:

-core 0: 30C
-core 1: 34C
-core 2: 30C
-core 3: 34C
Score
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2010 7:58:23 PM

misko, your temps are fine, if you need additional help dont hesitate to open up a new thread.

cheers =)
Score
!