bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Hey, I currently have 2 8800GT's in SLI that I want to overclock to try and push back my need to upgrade until the GTX 300's come out. In any case, I tried searching TH to find any articles on overclocking the 8800GT but was unsuccessful. Do any of you know of an article or something where I might get an idea of what clock speeds I should try for and any issues with overclocking 2 cards in SLI?

Heat is the biggest issue, so before you begin remove and clean the cards, either by stripping them and applying fresh thermal paste during reassembly or by blowing them out (blow in through the exhaust, not into the fan) and using a cotton bud the clean the fan blades.
No two cards are going to overclock identically, all you can do is keep pushing until they fail a stability test.
Power is another potential issue, if your PSU is old or weak a strong overclock can lead to stability problems.
Google for guides, there are plenty, often with precise details.

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I have a Gigabyte 9800gt which was factory overclocked with a Zalman cooler. Stock clocks were 700/1715/1800 mem but I've pushed them to 735/1745/1840 mem and still rock solid stable. Temps are in my sig. They can OC quite far.

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009

47C under load WITH overclock?! I'm gonna be honest, either you mistakenly put your idle temps or your cooler is RIDICULOUS! I OC'd my cards to 700/1000(2000 effective)/1750 (core/mem/shader) and then ran a graphics stress test for 2 hours and the temps stayed stable at 74C, which is pretty good from what I've read about the single-slot stock cooler (I don't have an aftermarket cooler), so is your card liquid-cooled or what?

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009

Well, one was a BFG @ 625/900/1566 (600/900/1500 is standard) and the other was an EVGA @ stock clocks.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

I thought they would be the same like all G92s but since MSI are some of the lower priced cards maybe the RAM was cheaper quality. At any rate, the copper quad heat pipes look cool and like a hot rod flames are just shooting out of them.

Xenonvector927

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009

I'm dead serious, I swear to you. Running ATITool artifact test for 25 mins has a stable temp of 47C. I had temps in the 60s before, I have to admit, but I bought another case fan (CoolerMaster 90CFM) and it reduced my temps significantly. And CPU temps are a little less too. I have one fan at the front as intake, one at the back as exhaust, and two fans on the side as intake, blowing cool air from outside onto the CPU and graphics card. All fan slots are filled, it's a uATX case. Idle temps are 31C. It's winter here in Aus and ambient temps are around 21C, although I haven't measured them. Cross my heart and hope to die, they are the correct temps.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Any G92 card that can run 47 C on full load is amazing. During winter for my OC experiments I'll put my rig next to a balcony door that I keep halfway open and leave side panel out. My CPU and motherboards temps sing happily with below freezing air coming in but my SLI 9800 GTs temps still run warm up to 63 C on full load.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Any G92 card that can run 47 C on full load is amazing. During winter for my OC experiments I'll put my rig next to a balcony door that I keep halfway open and leave side panel out. My CPU and motherboards temps sing happily with below freezing air coming in but my SLI 9800 GTs temps still run warm up to 63 C on full load.