Gigabyte Saphhire HD 4850 Fan speed sensor is broken

meberem

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Hi all,
I have an HD Radeon 4850 installed in my case, love it but the fan seems to be stuck @ 100% all the time i know this cos its so damn loud. I have checked in RivaTuner, Catalyist Control Center and GPU-z, they all tell me the fan usage is 0% (GPU-Z tells me its running @1RPM though). I have no idea what this could be i have tried all avalible drivers and nothing still runs @ 100% all the time.

Thanks in advance,
P.S. I have checked the BIOS for it and its the default one so fan should kick in at 69oC

meberem

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah i have tried all of them all with the same sucess. I really hoping it wasn't that as I got this card from a friend of mine, from new, as a replacement for mine and as thankyou for building her her PC as this one didn't fit in the case. So it would be a little hard to sort that out :s

Thankyou for your suggestion though

meberem

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
sorry don't know where sapphire came from, somewhere i am sure, GV-R485ZL-512H F1 is the number according to GPU-Z. I have had a peek inside the bois and the fan is suppose to start up @ 69oC and rise @ a rate of 44% apparently. I know it probably wasn't a good idea but i held the fan down until it stopped and let the heat build up and sure enough in RivaTuner and Ati CCC read the fan % increasing supposedly

meberem

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Apparently this card model cannot be controlled by the VGA BIOS, so i have replaced it with an Accellero S1 rev2 and now it is wonderfully quite and even cooler than before ^^. Thanks for the suggestions and help though