Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive not detected in BIOS

Last response: in Storage
January 19, 2011 6:05:41 PM

Hey.

Okay, first of all, my specifications:

Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 970 ~3.5GHz (OC'd ~3.8GHz)
Memory - 6144MB DDR3 RAM, 1024MB GDDR5 RAM
Hard Drive - 500GB Western Digital, 2TB Hitachi (Hopefully XD)
Video Card - ATI Radeon HD5870 BE
Operating System - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Motherboard - Asus Crosshair III Formula AMD 790FX

Now, my problem:

Basically, I (yesterday) purchased a Hitachi 2TB Deskstar 7K2000 SATA-300 7200rpm 32MB

I received it today, and decided to try setting it up my self (Never installed a HDD before), I took the SATA cable, plugged it into the SATA port which is beside SATA 1-2 (Mine is plugged into 3, I've also tried SATA 4) and then plugged it into my new Hitachi HDD.

I started up the PC, spammed Delete to get into the BIOS, and when I did I went into the place it shows your HDD's and Disk Drives and such, and SATA 3 didn't show HDD, I checked SATA 3's options, and they're the same as SATA 2 which is being recognised by the BIOS (It's my Launch Driver).

So I tried the same with SATA 4, same predicament, I tried again but this time changed it to SATA 2 and put my Launch HDD into SATA 3, SATA 3 was being detected with the HDD but SATA 2 wasn't.

At this point, I was tired so I went to sleep, got back up changed the cable to the one that my other HDD is using and it still doesn't work.

Now I've never set up a HDD before, so am I doing something wrong?

Help would be super appreciated, I'm one of those awkward people who if they don't have everything working on their PC, they don't use it, f*ck knows why, I just am XD

Anyhow, thanks for reading, if I missed anything out or you need to know something, let me know.

Thanks for your time.
a c 289 G Storage
January 19, 2011 6:08:47 PM

You didn't mention plugging in a power cable. First, really basic question: does the drive have power (some wide cables have both power and data)? Does it spin (make any sound when you start up)?
January 19, 2011 7:13:14 PM

Power Cable? Hmm.

My other Drive has a cable in it next to the SATA, I thought it was just linking it to the CD Drive or something.

I don't think it's spinning, hard to tell, the metal is vibrating, I can't tell if it's the 500GB Launch Drive spinning or the 2TB Hitachi one, but I think if the 2TB Hitachi one was spinning it'd be louder than the 500GB Seagate, no?

Anyway, I'll look for a power cable, thanks for the help so far.
Related resources
January 19, 2011 7:21:26 PM

Yea, it turns out that was the problem, that cable that I thought connected to the Disk Drive? Turns out that's the power cable, I didn't have one plugged in.

It's showing up in BIOS now.

Thanks a lot WyomingKnott, discovered the problem on your first reply, though it did make me look stupid.

I do have another question though, I started up my PC, it said it had installed the device drivers successfully, now how do I see my HDD in My Computer?

Another question is: Is this HDD automatically connected to the Disk Drive so I can install games on it?

And I heard you have to format it, or something like that, can I do that through the PC or do I need 3rd party software?

Thanks again for the help.
a c 289 G Storage
January 19, 2011 7:48:05 PM

OK - now you're making me work!

I'm not sure what your level of knowledge is - I do know that you know BIOS.

A new hard drive is blank. It needs to have data allocated in one or more chunks, called partitions. Then each partition needs to be formatted (initialized) with a "file system," usually NTFS in your case. At this point, rather than writing it myself, I should look for a partitioning tutorial... This tells you more than you need to know: http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/structPartitions-c.... Hope I don't have to write one.

In the following, " o " is my idea of a bullet point.

o Log in to your machine using an account with Admin privileges. This isn't the same one you use to play games, is it?

o Open Control Panel - Administrativ Tools - Computer Management. In the new window that opens, select Disk Management. Make the window bigger.

o You should see two sections on the right. Ignore the top one. The bottom should show two or more drives as horizontal bars about 1/2 " high.

o In the simplest case, one of these bars will have a single disk letter and one will be empty. The empty one is your uninitialized drive.

o Right click on the uninitialized drive (get the right one or destroy your OS and data). Select Create Partition. If you only want one partition, allocate all the space to it.

o Once the partition is created, right-click on it and select Format. Format it as NTFS, give it a nifty name like "HITACHI", and go.

o At this point, if you open Windows Explorer and go to My Computer you will see a new drive with the name you gave it. Nice, big, and empty.

======================================

Note: I didn't answer "Is this HDD automatically connected to the Disk Drive so I can install games on it?" No, it is not. You have a new drive. Your old drive is still the size that it was. At your level of experience, let's not look into joining them. If you need more room for game installs, you can pick one of these:
o Move a lot of data off the old disk to the new disk to make room for the new programs. Note that I said "data." Not program installations.
o If the program installations let you choose where to install the game (some don't), pick a new directory on the new drive.
o Get brave and migrate your operating system from the old drive to the new drive, which is not as simple as copying everything.
January 19, 2011 9:54:41 PM

I'm formatting my HDD as I type, it's at 48%, I reckon it might take 3 - 4 hours more (I didn't choose quick format due to people saying that they recommend not using that option the first a HDD is formatted).

And what you said, installing things on the new HDD, that's what I meant, I was wondering if I could do that with out it being directly connected to my Disk Drive.

Anyhow, thanks for the detailed answers, they really helped, I appreciate it a lot.
a c 289 G Storage
January 19, 2011 9:59:18 PM

You're welcome. That's what we're here for.
!