Status
Not open for further replies.

rhilsabeck

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
I recently up grade my Inspiron 6000 laptop from 40gb to 250gb I was getting limited disk message since I use several different editing a CAD 2D i thought going from 40 to 250 would work fine. For some reason it has crashed 2 hard drives with in 2 months any thoughts on how to prevent this. I using XP home should I run XP Pro all my software is XP version to change to window 7 right is to costly replace them right now.

Solution

Since the cause of the problem has not been determined, as I previously responded:
Seems to me you should keep the original drive as your boot device, and install the 250GB as secondary, or slave and use it for all your future data and software. Or even move data off the boot to the larger drive. If the OS is on that drive, format it before you install it internally!

At least you know you never had...

XP Pro isn't going to buy you anything. Are you saying you installed two different drives and they both crashed, or the same drive crashed two times. And, the word crashed is rather generic, can you elaborate ?

rhilsabeck

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
I bought 2 different 250 gb hard drives installed XP then about a month later I had the blinking curser in the up left hand corner on the first drive I took back thinking it was defective. I installed the second one ask the best buy guys about installing the 250 gb they said no problem last night 20 days latter blinking light left corner try reinstalling XP no gobefore being laid off I had IT for all this no I am learning as I go.

Sorry, but this rambling, with no punctuation makes it difficult to comprehend.
I installed the second one ask the best buy guys about installing the 250 gb they said no problem last night 20 days latter blinking light left corner try reinstalling XP no gobefore being laid off I had IT for all this no I am learning as I go.

rhilsabeck

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Sorry for grammer just thought a quick simple statement. Ksiemb I purchased a used Dell Inspiron 6000 since it uses XP. I have different software which is XP base so buying a new laptop was not in the picture even though you can buy one for as lows as 300.00. The laptop came with a 40GB hard drive which I was unable to installl my software and files so I increased it to a 250GB hard drive the first one lasted little over a month before it would not boot up I purchased a second 250 GB thinking the first one was defective but with in 21 days the second one would not reboot. I can install the original 40 GB I have no problem running it but I am out of space. Should I drop down to a smaller hard drive like a 120GB do you see any problem of it not booting up in the long run. Really apperciate the help.
RJ

Seems to me you should keep the original drive as your boot device, and install the 250GB as secondary, or slave and use it for all your future data and software. Or even move data off the boot to the larger drive.

And I assume when you say so I increased it to a 250GB hard drive that you mean you took the 40gb out, put the 250gb in, and installed your operating system on the 250gb, correct ?

rhilsabeck

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Yes I installed the 250gb in place of the 40gb I still have the 40 installed all the drives on the 250 though I do have an external hard drive which I store all my work from the last 8 years. Is their a problem with installing a large drive in the inspiron 6000 if so would a 120 GB work with out crashing in a few months.
Thanks RJ

Since the cause of the problem has not been determined, as I previously responded:
Seems to me you should keep the original drive as your boot device, and install the 250GB as secondary, or slave and use it for all your future data and software. Or even move data off the boot to the larger drive. If the OS is on that drive, format it before you install it internally!

At least you know you never had a problem with the 40gb drive going bad. Also, I would run a chkdsk /r on the 250gb drive, and check on the manufacturer's site to see if they have diagnostic software for your drive.

And could it be coincidentally that you contracted a virus or other malware during this transition period ? ---Must go about some business, so will check for any news from you this evening.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.