Sign in with
Your question

File Sharing over LAN

Last response: in Networking
August 27, 2009 5:31:58 AM

First off, I'm new to networking in general, so if I make any silly mistakes that's why ;) 

So here's the situation. We have a router on the other side of the basement, so I have a Cat5e cable run from there to a network switch in my room. Had this setup for a few years now. I just recently built a new computer, kind of a media PC. Both that computer and my PC are connected to the LAN, as well as my PS3. My main PC runs windows, and my Media PC runs Linux.

I would like to set up a simple way to connect directly to a computer, from either computer. I would like there to be a shortcut on my desktop, or something similar (terminal or command line is fine with me if necessary) that allows me to connect to the other PC and transfer files back and forth as I please. What would be the most efficient way of doing so? I'd rather spend more time setting it up for optimal efficiency than set up a quick way and have it be a complete pain.

If there's any vital information I missed let me know.

Thanks,

- Pyro

More about : file sharing lan

August 28, 2009 4:57:55 PM

Well...you can use windows "Remote Desktop Connection" but i am pretty sure it only allows you to access the computer and it doesn't let you transfer files over your network. For file transfering you can either share certain files on the network or get a freeware program like "VNC Viewer" (Google it and download) which lets you connect to that computer and control it as if you were sitting at it and using it. And i am pretty sure it allows to transfer files also :) 
-Which Distro of linux are you running?
-Best of Luck
m
l
August 28, 2009 6:16:09 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
Well...you can use windows "Remote Desktop Connection" but i am pretty sure it only allows you to access the computer and it doesn't let you transfer files over your network. For file transfering you can either share certain files on the network or get a freeware program like "VNC Viewer" (Google it and download) which lets you connect to that computer and control it as if you were sitting at it and using it. And i am pretty sure it allows to transfer files also :) 
-Which Distro of linux are you running?
-Best of Luck

Alright, thanks a lot. I'll look into those methods. I'm using Ubuntu at the moment.
m
l
!