bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi!

I'm suffering a dilemma, of sorts, in trying to plan out my next computer build. I'm trying to decide if I should go with my current Phenom II or upgrade to an i7. I will be gaming pretty heavily with my new machine, but I will also be heavily involved with music composition and production (Steinberg Cubase Studio 5). However, here is where the big problem lies: I already have a Phenom II 940, and I could probably reuse my current mobo, but I also have an X58 mobo and 1366-ready CPU cooler, for back when the i7 came out. So, I would like other people's opinion if I should keep my PII or get an i7, because I keep bouncing back and forth.

Thanks for your opinions! :D

MGDJoker

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I just got an i7 rig with 6gbs ram, and a GTX260 . Thing runs Crysis on Very High with no lag. Suggest i7 for most bang for your buck. Phenom II's arnt bad either. i7's will smoke it in gaming performance tho.

4745454b

Titan
The i7 doesn't smoke anything when your looking at the gaming performance. Usually faster, not always, and sometimes behind. It smokes other CPUs in heavy CPU tasks, like converting and creating files. The answer to this question depends on your budget and what your shooting for.

TRENDING THREADS