Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do I need a GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 11, 2009 7:33:53 PM

I apologize in advance if this question has been answered previously.

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 530 PC with a Core 2 Quad 8200 proc, 4 GB RAM and integrated graphics. I plan on using the PC for DV capture via Firewire from my camcorder and then editing the home movies and burning them to DVD. I'm not planning on playing a ton of games.

Do I need a dedicated graphics card for the PC if I'm not playing games? Would like GPU come into play in any of the video capture or editing tasks?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Troy

More about : gpu

June 11, 2009 7:52:14 PM

That Depends. I agree getting a GPU for games would be good. Though, if you don't plan to play games, then you would likely be OK. Though, if I were you, I would regardless, I have trouble being "ok" with an IGP. Although if you are doing some video editing, then I would get a GPU. Say HD4670 would be a good choice. Personally, I would not have bought the Dell, seeing as its not really what you need, and now you may want to buy a GPU. Anyway, hope that helps.
m
l
June 11, 2009 7:54:12 PM

Biffarama said:
I apologize in advance if this question has been answered previously.

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 530 PC with a Core 2 Quad 8200 proc, 4 GB RAM and integrated graphics. I plan on using the PC for DV capture via Firewire from my camcorder and then editing the home movies and burning them to DVD. I'm not planning on playing a ton of games.

Do I need a dedicated graphics card for the PC if I'm not playing games? Would like GPU come into play in any of the video capture or editing tasks?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Troy

No I dont think you need a seperate card, but i'm pretty sure integrated graphics are not as good as a seperate card. For what you need it for I think you should be ok, but if you did want to do demanding 3D stuff, then you would need something better. It depends on the integrated graphics you have too. I'm not 100% sure on this though, because i'm no expert.
m
l
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
June 11, 2009 7:59:27 PM

If you're going to use a codec that can use GPU acceleration, then yes. If you don't know what that is, then no.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2009 8:44:24 PM

You're better off without. Most of the photo and video editing tasks are all in the CPU and sometimes adding in a GPU takes up CPU cycles and slightly slows down your rendering times.
!