Memory brand mixing.

Tags:
  • Memory
  • G.SKILL
  • Corsair
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
March 31, 2011 3:52:12 AM

If I mix g skill rip-jaws(2x2gb) and corsair xms(2x2gb) would it matter?

More about : memory brand mixing

a b } Memory
a c 242 K Overclocking
April 1, 2011 10:05:46 AM

yes is very important, because every different ram chips and heat resistance, the voltage is different ... if you want to use the kit, ripjaw cheaper than XMS, but hampirsama to speed .. balanced .. so bro
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
a c 171 K Overclocking
April 1, 2011 2:09:30 PM

You can usually mix brands as long as you have the same memory type, voltage, speed and timings. If timings are not the same, you can usually correct that in the bIOS by setting the faster ones to the slower ones settings. I have mixed Mushkin, Corsair, Kingston, Crucial w/o issue but I would only mix if the matching RAM modules to what I already have was not available any more from the same vendor. If you getting different brands merely to save $, I'd advise against.

I have had issues adding Gskill to the others though. Could just be coincidence but, for example, I have a LGA 775 box upstairs for which I am building a replacement today (son no. 3's box). I had 2 GB of CAS 5 in it and adding matching modules (exact timings, voltage and speed), didn't work and w/o more Corsair's available, I had to toss the original 3 Gb and add another set of Gskills ... they were the only vendor left at the time BTW, making those modules at that late date.
Related resources
April 2, 2011 12:45:05 AM

Thanks to you both!
m
l
April 6, 2011 10:00:45 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
I had 2 GB of CAS 5 in it and adding matching modules (exact timings, voltage and speed), didn't work and w/o more Corsair's available, I had to toss the original 3 Gb and add another set of Gskills ... they were the only vendor left at the time BTW, making those modules at that late date.

My rig is hungry for them, would they work?
m
l
April 6, 2011 10:58:02 PM

Best answer selected by mr_lucklegs.
m
l
!