Usb 3 0 this device can perform faster

bloby

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Hi. I just recently bought an external HDD (Verbatim) with USB 3.0 support . My motherboard (Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev 1.0) has two USB 3.0 ports. First problem is that when I connected it to USB 3.0 port it did not recognize it and Windows wanted to format it (it was not actually possible to do so anyway). I've tried many things, getting new updates for my chipset, USB 3.0 controller, trying different ports etc. HDD was recognized on normal 2.0 but not on 3.0. Somehow I've managed for it to work on 3.0 (although that stupid message to format a disk appears sometimes - then I just make my HDD on/off, even few times if necessary).
Anyway, it is somehow being recognized in the USB 3.0 port but the speeds are 2.0 and Windows displays message that this device can perform faster.
I'm most certainly using proper cable and checked all other obvious things, or even sent an email to Gigabyte as well as Verbatim (no answer so far). My speeds are exactly the same as at USB 2.0 port so something must not work, I'm just clueless what is it.
P.S. I've built my PC but is there any chance I could make a mistake, while USB 3.0 is already on-board!?

Dumb, dumb question since it is home-built. You know that the USB 3.0 connector is not the same as the USB 2.0 connector, yes? Different socket, different cable? The clue that I'm looking at is "My speeds are exactly the same as at USB 2.0 port." USB 3.0 consists of a USB 2.0 interface plus four new wires. You can connect two USB 3.0 sockets with a USB 2.0 cable, and you will have a USB 2.0 connection because the other four wires are not connected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usb_3.0#USB_3.0

bloby

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
Well, thanks for that but I'm using 3.0 cable supplied with my new HDD (it has that different ending on the HDD side, at the PC side it is blue finished and it says on the cable USB 3.0).

I think I should also make clear that those two USB 3.0 ports are integrated on the motherboard, meaning I see no way of connecting/disconnecting them at the motherboard level.

USB 3.0 is obviously enabled in BIOS as well as support for USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 there.

I probably can flash BIOS but never done that and am little afraid to try and risk just so my external HDD has 3.0 USB support.

P.S. Before posting this question I've researched online but none of the answers I found helped :(

DAVIDLOGAN96

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
go to mobo's manufacturer website and look for the nec usb 3.0 drivers
or you can google for them if you cant find them on gigabytes site
gl

wongandre

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I have the same problem too and am trying to find a solution. Seems like this is a common problem. I bought a Seagate GoFlex 3.0 and connect it to the integrated USB 3.0 port on my Asus p8h67 ideluxe motherboard and was prompted that it can perform faster when connected to USB 3.0 port.

Same like you, I had reinstalled all drivers and etc. I even went to some computer shop and send it for 'repair' and still not solution. The computer technician was unable to provide a solution too. In fact we tried the seagate drive on another machine's USB 3.0 and the speed was still like a USB 3.0.

Now thinking if it is the Seagate HDD at fault. But I cannot tell until I find another usb 3.0 HDD drive for testing.

bloby

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

Hi. I've managed (somehow) to fix the problem and now I have USB 3.0 speeds (which seem around 2 to 3 times faster than 2.0 but still it is something better, but don't even think you will get 10x - like they advertise sometimes).

Ok. So this is what I've done:

I've contacted few times Gigabyte and Verbatim and was told to do different things, I don't know exactly which one actually fixed the problem, so will just write all of them below:
- I flash updated my BIOS (make sure you do it a proper way or best your mainboard has BIOS backup as I've read you can screw your motherboard if BIOS update gets corrupted or is interrupted);
- I installed some USB 3.0 updates from Gigabyte and even from Verbatim (at that point it still didn't work)
- I was then told to reformat my drive again and I've done so BUT I've done a quick erase as well as full format (it took few hours due to the HDD size)
- I think after that I unistalled (removed from system) USB 3.0 controllers and installed them again. I'm not however sure if I really did so ;D
- It again did not work but I went to system and noticed that one of the USB 3.0 controllers is simply disabled (I'm more than sure it wasn't previously, or hell knows, maybe it was!).
- And finally, this actually helped (or maybe something else what I did but possibly the proper order was relevant).

P.S. HD tune pro can help in establishing the actual speed.

Hope it helps!

turbotown

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
My msi fm2 mobo had the same problem and it turned out to be because I had overclocked the system. The drives wouldn't be recognized in my usb 3 ports. Set my system back to normal mode and joila the usb 3 ports worked perfectly.

DataMedic

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

His question wasn't dumb at all, your response on the other hand....

He clearly stated that he was plugging into the USB 3.0 ports but only getting 2.0 speed. Perhaps you should read more closely before calling people's questions "dumb"