Your question

Hd 4650 agp card giving problems

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • HD
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 11, 2009 8:12:26 PM

I jus bought an HD 4650 AGP video card for my sony vaio pentium 4 2.8 Ghz running on windows xp.....and when i begin installing the display drivers....its says that the ATI HD 4600 series does not pass the Windows Logo testing and it recommends that i exit the setup.....does this mean this card won't work at all on my pc!?!?!? someone please enlighten me on this issue!!!!

Im thinking of buying and installing windos vista if thats the solution to this issue!!!

More about : 4650 agp card giving problems

June 11, 2009 8:18:46 PM

I am not entirely sure what you mean by "does not pass the Windows Logo testing". I think you mean that Windows cannot verify that the drivers you are installing are safe? I got that error when I installed the most recent Nvidia drivers for my BFG GTX 280 OCX. Obviously, since you got the drivers from ATI's website, you know they are safe, and should continue with the installation.
June 11, 2009 8:43:22 PM

I have done that but then everything seems to be working fine until my screen goes black and it has an error message saying that the drive is not working properly u have to reboot.....what does that mean!?!? i got the drivers from gigabyte's website.
Related resources
June 11, 2009 8:52:06 PM

Uninstall the drivers you have installed so far. Go to ATI's website and get those drivers. You should not get any errors with them.
June 11, 2009 9:58:12 PM

Yes I get the same warning for aGP HD 3650, just click "continue" and get the drivers from the manufacturers website, as some drivers on the ATi website aren't suitable for AGP products.
June 11, 2009 11:45:15 PM

How does that make sense? You are saying that the manufactures drivers are more suitable then the designer/creators of the card? All the manufacturers did were slap a new heatsink/logo on the card and maybe change the core clock settings. If anything, ATI's drivers should be more efficient then the manufacturers considering they designed the card.
June 11, 2009 11:45:21 PM

Ok so ive downloaded the drivers from the manufactures website....and everything seems to be fine.....except i don't have any sound!!!!.....wats wrong now!?!?
June 12, 2009 12:01:34 AM

i also tried redownloading from ATI'S website.....and it says that it acnnot find any drivers compatible with my current hardware or opperating system....and i have to exit the setup!!! so im out of ideas as to why the sound isnt working....i am runny windows xp media edition so maybe i jus need to upgrade to windows vista
June 12, 2009 2:04:38 AM

Since your card is AGP you might be trying to install a PCIe driver thats not compatible with the AGP card. Hence the reasoning for getting drivers directly from the manufacturer i.e HIS, Sapphire etc.

Are you running sound over using HDMI? You might need the Realtek HDMI ATI Audio driver.
June 12, 2009 2:39:30 AM

ok i jus reinstalled all the drivers and i got the sound to work finally.....but evry time i turn the anisotropic filtering and the anti-aliasing on my computer; it freezes up and the display turn black....so why cant i use those 3D settings!?!?

thanks for the responses!!!
June 12, 2009 2:51:28 AM

no problem, glad it works.
June 12, 2009 4:03:05 PM

Do u know why my pc screen freezes up so often!?!? its rather frustrating!!!
June 12, 2009 4:29:45 PM

Are you using the Hotfix drivers? That could be the problem.
June 12, 2009 7:05:25 PM

i was using the drivers on the cd that came with the card.....is that a problem?
June 12, 2009 7:08:22 PM

como_13 said:
i was using the drivers on the cd that came with the card.....is that a problem?

I don't know if the drivers that came with your card are Hotfix or not. I've never even used my driver disc, I downloaded mine from the Sapphire and ATI sites. I would guess they aren't, so it wouldn't hurt to uninstall your current drivers, use Driver Cleaner Pro to clean out what that missed, then reinstall the AGP Hotfix drivers from the ATI website. Wouldn't hurt to try.
a c 107 U Graphics card
June 12, 2009 7:11:48 PM

Just install the drivers anyway. Basically the maker of your 4650 hasn't paid the big bucks to microsoft to make sure that your card will display the start up screen with those drivers. It's not like they seem to do a whole lot of testing with those things :D . After all, they probably had to modify those drivers to work with the AGP bus, so of course they can't use the same digital signature from the official ATI drivers.

Install the drivers, and when it asks you if you want to continue click yes. Make sure you uninstall your old display drivers and dissable the on board video first though :) 
June 12, 2009 7:48:21 PM

thanks for the good advice.....but i have tried installing drivers from the ATI site but i believe its for the pci-e card and not the agp card that i have....i also downloaded the drivers from gigabytes site and it seems better than the driver on the cd they gave me....however, my computer still freezes up and the screen turns blank when playing a game....its so frustrating!!! lol....ive spent two full days trying to sort out this problem....is it maybe my pentium 4 2.8 ghz pc cant handle it!? wat other solutions r there!?
June 12, 2009 8:48:23 PM

thanks but i have and HD 4600 series not the 2000 or 3000 series.....im thinking about upgrading to windows vista....woudl that maybe help me get better drivers!?!? cos they do have drivers for vista which prob are more reliable than xp!!! wat do u think!?
June 12, 2009 8:53:59 PM

como_13 said:
thanks but i have and HD 4600 series not the 2000 or 3000 series.....im thinking about upgrading to windows vista....woudl that maybe help me get better drivers!?!? cos they do have drivers for vista which prob are more reliable than xp!!! wat do u think!?

The problem is the AGP bus type being incompatible with the ATI CCC drivers which were originally programmed for the PCI-e bus, not your operating system. Try the Hotfix drivers anyways and if they still don't work, I would consider getting an HD 3850 instead of your HD 4xxx card for AGP as it is just as good or slightly better than your current card and the Hotfix drivers work for the HD 3850.
June 13, 2009 5:07:14 AM

so u saying that its not my computer but its the companys fault!? ok thanks ill try give it a go with those hotfix drivers u gave me....another question.....why do i always have to put in my network key for my wireless connection every time i start up windows....how do u make it that it always connect to my wireless router!?
June 13, 2009 6:09:20 PM

ok im giving up....i got find a driver that doesnt freeze up my computer and most of the drivers are saying that they not compatible with my operating system.....please someone help me find a driver for my agp hd 4650 card cos my pc is freezing all the time!!!!
a b U Graphics card
June 13, 2009 6:17:47 PM

The HD4650 is such a new release that Gigabyte or ATI probably doesn't have the proper drivers on their sites yet. People ran into the same problem right after the HD4770 was released. Remove all your old drivers and use the drivers off the disc that came with your graphic card. Send Gigabyte tech support an e-mail requesting the specific drivers for your OS and HD4650 AGP card. That's the best advice i can give you, it's what i'd do with that particular card at this time.
August 5, 2009 9:21:47 PM

I have the new? hahaha,4650 agp 8x,my 6600gt 128mg is faster...but speed isnt everything,, the 4650agp 8x will just about take on anything thing ya toss at it,,,, the 6600gt is faster? but the 4650 has grunt power,,the 6600gt 128mb just dont have the b@!!'s,, just install the drivers 2x one on top of the other and do the automatic install and not custome,, ya da ya da through windows install anyway,, select continue always........

use crap cleaner start up and only use the ccc startup item,,,stop or delete anything else relating to ati.........Un less ya got riva tunner running.........

but the drivers are only 8.7 disk version,,, but they work and are stable,,, i havent tried the wdm 9.7's yet,,,,,,, but just click your way through the install and everything will work as far as the install disk goes............
August 24, 2009 5:21:07 AM

I have the same card and discovered tonight that you can go to the ATI website -- and use - yes, use - the hotfix for 2/3x cards. I guess they havent updated the info on the page/knowledgbase - but, it worked absolutely perfectly for me.
August 24, 2009 5:21:55 AM

I have the same card and discovered tonight that you can go to the ATI website -- and use - yes, use - the hotfix for 2/3x cards. I guess they havent updated the info on the page/knowledgbase - but, it worked absolutely perfectly for me.
August 24, 2009 5:22:43 AM

September 10, 2009 6:21:03 PM

I get the same message for my HD 3850 AGP. I get that message for several other things as well. Just ignore it and install it anyways, the Hotfix drivers work great for me. :) 
February 21, 2010 10:28:36 AM

T3kl0rD said:
Download the AGP drivers in the link for your operating system.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystAGPH...

Unstinkin' believable! I have been beating my head against the wall on this one. The hotfix totally fixed my issue of Windows 7 not recognizing the AGP version of the HD 4650.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Bob/NBØB
February 21, 2010 2:21:37 PM

rfmccoy said:
Unstinkin' believable! I have been beating my head against the wall on this one. The hotfix totally fixed my issue of Windows 7 not recognizing the AGP version of the HD 4650.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Bob/NBØB

You're welcome, you're welcome, you're welcome

The obvious is always the most elusive, I find. :ouch: 

!