I7 2600k water OC

midget666

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Hi. Im building a gaming tower with the cooler master 212 CPU cooler and I am using the i7 2600k 3.4 Ghz as my CPU. I was wondering what kind of OC people have gotten to on that particular CPU with air and water. So like a comparison between the two

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
People have pushed it to ~5ghz on both air and water. However, it depends on what you want your temps to be. It requires a decent voltage bump which generates significantly more heat per cycle. It also shortens the life of your CPU and MB.

The 2600k chips are incredibly powerful; I personally don't see a reason they need to be clocked so high. If you are simply wanting to state you overclocked to 5ghz, I guess that's a valid enough reason for some. @4+ ghz would run plenty well on a day to day basis.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Martin is testing 26K
http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/03/26/i7-2600k-cpu-ek-supreme-v1/

midget666

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
well i hear some people are running stable 4.8 Ghz OC with cooler master hyper 212 dual fan all day long and the temp never gets above 75 under load. I know you can acheive slightly higher day to day OC with water but not by a margin that i would buy an extremely expensive system

d0gr0ck

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
The H70 is an all-in-one product. Though traditionally we recommend moving straight up to the RASA kits if you're already prepared to shell out (and then buy the nice fans to make the H70 really perform).

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
@ midget666

Maybe you wouldn't but many people would...including most people on this forum.

You can buy a Honda Civic and a Porsche 911 Turbo; both do the same thing... both result in a different experience for the end user.

Rasa is a good step if you are going to get into actual watercooling vs. a LCS cooler.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It depends on what your expectations and budgets are. The H70 does very well as a simple, bolt-on cooler...there are some pretty good air coolers that perform about as well for a little less money. If you are really looking for the 'watercooling' factor and are thinking about spending the ~$100 on a H70, for another $30 you can get into actual watercooling with the XSPC Rasa RS240 kit.

midget666

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
where does this mount outside the case? and you must buy your own tubing correct? lol never messed with water cooling but i want to get into it if i ever have to upgrade my computer. Ive always been able to do just fine with air but water cooling is fun :p

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Nope, that Rasa kit comes with everything you need, minus distilled water ($1/gallon) and some biocide or a killcoil...(togther, total of maybe $12) but either/or are fine alone.

PetrasTechShop link to PTNuke and Killcoils.

If you wanted different tubing or colors, you could certainly go the route of colored tubing.

You don't need premixes or anything like that...I'd avoid them. They won't cool better than plain water, and some of them, like FeserOne, have been known to gunk up waterblocks under moderate to heavy load temps over time.

midget666

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
but not 2 gpus? the motherboard is build for SLI so i think i would just use a CPU cooler. too much of a hassle to setup a custom line. if i just did CPU i might just go with the dual radiator rasa kit instead of triple

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Ok...slow down a little. Please take a little time and read through the links in my signature. There are a TON of threads with info that answers these questions as they are some of the more commonly asked ones...often called (wait for it) frequently asked questions...or FAQs.

There are also a lot of build logs and photos. I run a GPU and SLI loop myself. It isn't difficult to do...just slow down and give yourself some time to get familiar with what you want to do and what it will require.

You don't have to make all these decisions today; soak up some info and get an idea of what you want to do and a budget you'd like to hit. Once you get that down and pick up the basics...we'll go from there.