Should i buy a SSD for O.S./Games?

hatebreeder

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
I am getting close to buying parts for my next upgrade and i am curious if an ssd is worth the money? I have run raptors/velociraptors for years in a raid 0. And typically i am the first one in gaming servers on map changes ( Battlefield 2, bf bc2 , cod4, cod:bo etc... )

I am curious if i am going to notice in any performance boost if i was to get a SSD only for my O.S. and any soon to be released games i am going to play ( battlefield 3!!!)

I would use my raptor raid setup for storage of all my other media files.

and if so, is there any real difference to the SSDs that are out other than brand name and size? What should i look for if i am buying one that is going actually boost performance where i want it??

thanks in advance!

Solution
For gaming, getting a better GPU would be more important.
However, if you have a good GPU, and decent ram amount, then the HDD is probably your bottleneck, so definitely go and grab an SSD.
If you want some help choosing a drive, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

varis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
BF3 won't be released for a bit so if you buy a SSD now it will already be antique when BF3 comes out.

SSD is significantly faster than raid AFAIK. However most BF3 players will probably still run on HDDs so if you have raid or SSD you'll still be one of the first guys to jump into that sweet helo as long as your hardware is reasonably modern.

For SSD performance, the controller is what makes all the difference. Brand means little - eg. Kingston is priced the same as many models with the famous SandForce controllers, but the performance just isn't the same.

wfriction

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
For gaming, getting a better GPU would be more important.
However, if you have a good GPU, and decent ram amount, then the HDD is probably your bottleneck, so definitely go and grab an SSD.
If you want some help choosing a drive, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Solution

hatebreeder

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

thanks! i think i am upgrading prematurely but i average an upgrade every 18 months. i just want to make sure i can play bf3 on maxed out settings ( hope they announce the spec recommendations on march 1st! ) with direct 11. i have a 295, an i7 940, 6 gigs of ram. 2 velociraptors in raid 0.

wfriction

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011

no worries! check out this guide if you decide to grab an ssd

TRENDING THREADS