Best thermal paste?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Arctic
  • Thermal Compound
  • Silver
Last response: in CPUs
August 25, 2009 11:33:23 PM

Title says it all, last i heard was the arctic silver 5, dunno which one is the best now

More about : thermal paste

August 26, 2009 12:45:23 AM

AS5 is good and is the most popular but the best is Arctic Cooling MX-2, it slightly (and I mean slightly) outperforms its competition and spreads real well. Also, unlike AS5 which has silver particles in it, MX-2 is totally non-conductive.
August 26, 2009 1:15:52 AM

i mean theres not much of a price difference, and if there is even the slightest performance boost, its still a step up, thanks. I cant believe people make it a big deal about the price of thermal paste, i mean its like 5-10$, whats the big deal? lol. Oh yes, i forgot to ask, whats the best way to apply thermal paste? I do believe its just sticking one drop in the middle and letting the cpu cooler naturally spread it out
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 26, 2009 1:31:43 AM

well i always thought it was best to smooth it out with the edge of something, like a business card...
August 26, 2009 3:21:22 AM

im not good with acronyms, what is a HDT?
a c 124 à CPUs
August 26, 2009 3:31:00 AM

OCZ Freeze user here.

It's a wee bit less viscous than AS5 - I dab a 'rice grain' across the spreader with a small dot close on either side of the 'grain' - looks like a semi-colon, sorta - LOL

August 26, 2009 3:41:46 AM

Artic Cooling MX-2
Artic Silver 5
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2009 4:39:16 AM

The very best thermal paste is home made paste with diamond powder mixed in with it. There was a post on this forum about it and there are web pages about it but I will leave it up to you to look it up.
August 26, 2009 4:56:30 AM

o.o diamond, must be expensive (thermal paste wise that is), how were the benchmarks for it? lol i just imagined a cpu and cpu cooler that were made out of diamond...
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2009 5:18:52 AM

I use IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound:

http://www.innovationcooling.com/

Here's a link to the xbitlabs technical review and test results of just about every compound made:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/therma...

Here's a link to one of the online vendors:

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/ic-diamond-7-carat-therm...

The compound works very well with my Thermalright Ultra 120 cpu heatsink.

To be fair there are other thermal compounds that are very good. For the typical user a temperature drop of a few degrees Centigrade won't make much of a difference. For a hardcore gamer into serious overclocking on a suicidal mission to save the planet from alien invaders it might make a difference.
August 26, 2009 5:31:09 AM

now it seems like IC diamond 7 carat is the best in the benchmarks...hmmm. Wonder if i should put thermal paste on my video card? Or is it too much for a newbie
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2009 5:48:11 AM

I also used IC Diamond on the northbridge and southbridge chipsets of my motherboard. I haven't tried it on a gpu yet. If you look at the xbitlabs review you'll see IC Diamond didn't do as well on the gpu. Some of the other compounds did better.

EDIT - I just bought and XFX HD 4770 graphics card. It is a dual slot version that exhausts hot air out one of the rear panel slots. It's also an energy efficient card so I don't know if it would be worth the effort.
August 26, 2009 7:12:21 AM

The best is AC MX-3 actually.
August 26, 2009 7:41:52 AM

Here is a very good Review on 80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

The Review is takes into consideration the Curing time of each Thermal Compound and post them. Here are two examples:

Arctic Silver 5 Polysynthetic Thermal Compound (4)
(4) Arctic Silver 5 Application Instructions (up to 200-hours recommended curing time.

Tuniq TX-3 (0)
(0) No Curing Time or Special Application Suggested.
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2009 7:51:48 AM

Wisecracker said:
OCZ Freeze user here.

It's a wee bit less viscous than AS5 - I dab a 'rice grain' across the spreader with a small dot close on either side of the 'grain' - looks like a semi-colon, sorta - LOL

Very effective, cheap, easy to use and clean up.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2009 9:24:14 AM

OCZ freeze extreme, non conductive, easy to use and does a fantastic job at that, no curing time and not very expensive, better than AS5 in my opinion in cooling (2-3 degrees cooler now with it) Just dont use any KAK that comes with any components in small plastic packets, it wont work well...
August 26, 2009 5:54:50 PM

Roughly equivalent to asking someone's religion :) 

I'm currently on Shin-Etsu X23-7762. It lowered my temps slightly, but in fairness I didn't give the AS a full run-in before switching.
August 26, 2009 6:51:26 PM

exactly what is curing time?
a c 172 à CPUs
August 26, 2009 7:24:47 PM

I pretty much use Arctic Silver AS5 and Ceramique. Both times that was what the local Rat Shack had.

I have noticed little difference between the two. I also have not noticed a significant difference in temperatures before and after the AS5 cured.

Curing time - theoretically AS5 needs about 200 hours and several power on-off (heat-cool) cycles to cure, to set, to whatever to deliver optimum performance (maximum cooling).
August 26, 2009 7:54:04 PM

is it only AS5 that requires curing time? i think 200 hours is a bit much when your computer is in your room and you have to sleep there. it makes it very inconvinient.
a b à CPUs
August 26, 2009 8:42:46 PM

problems with AS5:

curing time
must be reapplied every few months for best cooling results
is conductive

i used to have temps of 33*C idle now im at 38*C after 6 months. :(  i suppose you might have to do this with all thermal paste but i hear its especially crappy on AS5.

August 26, 2009 11:30:13 PM

think imma go with IC diamond 7 carat, no cure time, and it has diamond dust, so it should be pretty good
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2009 12:04:04 AM

lol look up benchmarks.... seems like a gimmick to me. *oooo diamonds!!* lol...
August 27, 2009 12:25:53 AM

its hard to find benchmarks with all paste...cant find benchmarks with MX-3
August 27, 2009 12:33:08 AM

Peanut butter.... Skippy smooth seems to work the best. Needs to be cleaned off every so often, but a jar of it lasts a long time if you don't buy any jam...
a b à CPUs
August 27, 2009 12:59:00 AM

computernewbie said:
think imma go with IC diamond 7 carat, no cure time, and it has diamond dust, so it should be pretty good

be warned, that it will scratch and even erase the markings on the IHS by Intel/AMD on your CPU. This will void your warranty. :lol: 
August 27, 2009 1:06:06 AM

that would make the IC diamond a bad pick for long livitivity? Since it scratches up your surface anyway, it'll make your CPU even hotter...Most people end up lapping anyway, i probably will lap too
August 27, 2009 3:04:45 AM

Quote:
computernewbie wrote

im not good with acronyms, what is a HDT?

H.D.T or "HeatPipe Direct Touch" Technology is intended to lower the the temps of CPU by Making the heatpipes of the cooler directly touching the chip without a copper plate or 'a middle man' thus 'highering' the thermal conduvtivity.

see this: XBit labs Xigamtek Dark knight Review..
and this: Xigamtek H.D.T Cooler review.

So H.D.T coolers tend to have better performance however aren't widely available but don't need to mention Xigamtek's models.

About the Thermal Compound as someone already said 'Arctic Silver 5' is the most overrated TmC in the market.
and as Yoosty usually recommends the Tuniq TX-2 and i recently recommended the Tuniq TX-3, the market loves to change, and i found this:
2009 Thermal Compounds RoundUp complete review.

So now i'm for the Arctic one 'Arctic MX-3' looks like Arctic is once more back

Best Regards.
August 27, 2009 3:32:30 AM

if HDT heatsinks are so good at obtaining low temperatures, why arent they the best coolers on the market? Thanks for the link, ill check it out.
August 27, 2009 3:54:36 AM

computernewbie said:
if HDT heatsinks are so good at obtaining low temperatures, why arent they the best coolers on the market? Thanks for the link, ill check it out.

Well, As i said there don't seem to be alot of them in market and i don't seem to find any company beside XIGAMTEK so considering that XIGAMTEK is still new on market they haven't managed to get to a moderate level in using the technology, and because it's powerful enough already you find that the 'XIGAMTEK Thore's hammer' almost match the higher-end Noctua's and TRUEs. That's while the companies prefer to max out their current leading tech. instead of using new ones.

You can 'similar' this with intel's use of the chipset based FSB memory controller instead of moving it to proc's chip like AMD did long time ago (talking about LGA 775 based procs only!).

Beside there are alot of All-in-one liquid cooling devices (like Corsair Hydro H50, CoolIt Domino A.L.C and swiftech's)
so with 3 easy to install, maintenance free, compact and efficient types of cooling devices available the market will be very hard to predict what will happen (though it always was ;)  ).

Anything else just let me know.

Best Regards :)  .
August 27, 2009 4:11:31 AM

Zalman ZM-STG2 super thermal grease user here, love it. Easy to apply, easy to remove, good cooling.
August 27, 2009 4:47:46 AM

well i do have to give it to xigamtek for the great design, leaving out the middle man was a great idea, they'll probably improve in time. Haha, no need to lap
August 27, 2009 2:01:26 PM

wonderingwhatis said:
Zalman ZM-STG2 super thermal grease user here, love it. Easy to apply, easy to remove, good cooling.

Different experiences for individual customers equal more companies working, paying their bills and employing more people.
And every time the only word that can be said is "it's a matter of personal preference" (Perhaps a sentence :D  )

Regards :)  .
August 27, 2009 2:04:47 PM

computernewbie said:
well i do have to give it to xigamtek for the great design, leaving out the middle man was a great idea, they'll probably improve in time. Haha, no need to lap

Ya expect great innovations from this company (and any company ready to adopt a new tech. ;)  ).

Regards.

EDIT: By the way what is "Lap" .
August 27, 2009 4:20:18 PM

psycho sykes said:
Ya expect great innovations from this company (and any company ready to adopt a new tech. ;)  ).

Regards.

EDIT: By the way what is "Lap" .

Here is a Guide for Lapping excerpt below.
Quote:
Why Lap?

Due to the machining process, just about every heat sink will have a rough surface. To the naked eye it may look flat or even feel smooth, but there are microscopic groves in the surface. These groves will trap air between the heat sink and the CPU, and cause a poor transfer of heat.
Thermal compound (Artic Silver, Nanotherm, etc.) is used to fill these groves and help transfer the heat from the CPU to the heat sink. Just like air, thermal compound is something else that the heat has to pass through to get from the CPU to the heat sink.

We lap the heat sink to make it smooth, allowing us to get the best possible contact between the CPU and heat sink. Even after lapping, there will still be grooves for the air to be trapped in, but the grooves will be much smaller, and cause less of a problem.

Lapping can be done on any heat sink, pelt, or water block, regardless of its material. Just keep in mind that a softer metal will sand away faster than a hard metal.
More at http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/lapping/
August 27, 2009 4:54:24 PM

Quote:
Yoosty wrote:

.......Here is a Guide for Lapping excerpt below.......

Thanks again.
August 27, 2009 6:38:51 PM

i think im just going to go with arctic cooling mx-3, unless someone points out theres something better

August 27, 2009 6:53:59 PM

computernewbie said:
i think im just going to go with arctic cooling mx-3, unless someone points out theres something better

I don't seem to find any indication of otherwise, so better of with 'Arctic MX-3'

Best Regards :D  .
February 24, 2010 9:33:39 PM

yomamafor1 said:
The best is AC MX-3 actually.

i just bought some mx 3 and was wondering if you knew which of the two cpu coolers would work the best with it.i have a cooler master v8 or my zalman cnps9700 i also bought a extra retention bracket incase i would need it.
MY BUILD:
AMD Phenom II X4 920
8gb 1066mhz ram
6 120 mm case fans
1 200mm case fan
1 140 mm case fan
coolermaster haf 932 case
750gb hdd
dvd rom
2 nzxt sentury 2 fan controllers
ecs A790GXM-A motherboard
1050 watt ultra x4 psu