P5QL Pro help!

chadders

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
hey all, im now building my very first pc from scratch! i have used bare bones systems in the past but i shorted a MB once when i was 15 and always been scared to touch them since! 11years later im giving it a second go

i have an asus p5ql pro, intel q9400, xclio windtunnel (very smart and very nice atx case), corsair tx750w PSU.
windows 7 ultimate 64bit

and this saturday im blow all my wages on

geil ddr pc8500 4 x 1gb (reason i am going for this that its on both the memorys and mother boards qualifing vendors list and ifound out after buying the p5ql-pro that a lot of people have problems so gone with what im 90% sure will be compatable

Zotac Geforce 9600gt dual dvi

tp link 54m wireless networking card

compro video mate e650 PCIe

samsung 22x dvd-rw IDE (reason im using IDE is because this computer will also double up as a media network server/store and i need all 6 SATA for future upgrades on HDD space as i al ready have 4 x 1tb ready to go in

can some one just check out this parts and double check that safe fo the go ahead and that these parts arent gonna conflict! i have done all my reserch and scratching every corner of the net but id feel a lot better with a second oppin

i have moved my old computer over to the new case just to gain some confidence in a compleate strip down and rebuild and its still working after a few trys!

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
4 DIMMs put more stress on the Memory Controller Hub ("Northbridge"):
so, best way is to leave memory settings on AUTO in the BIOS,
starting out.

If you decide to "tweak" voltages, then try increasing the
Northbridge voltage first, in small increments -- NOT the DRAM voltage.

Also, you should teach yourself how to pause at the "barebones" checkpoint:

PSU/MOBO/CPU/HSF/RAM/KVM (no other peripherals)

KVM = keyboard/video/mouse

Boot into the BIOS with these barebone components,
and tab over to the Hardware tab, to watch temps,
voltages and fan speeds.

If your machine remains stable in this mode, then
proceed to hook up the peripherals and install your OS.

I generally recommend to run this barebones checkpoint
for about 30 minutes e.g. to let the hardware "burn-in" a bit.

Also, it's best to install Windows using only 1 optical drive
and 1 HDD for the C: system partition. The reason for this
is the added functionality that Plug-and-Play logic in
Windows provides you, whenever you add new hardware
AFTER Windows has been successfully installed.

This general method will also help you with fault isolation,
in the event that a newly added component causes
problems.

MRFS

The format of your post makes it difficult to understand.

From what I gather, you have a motherboard, processor, case and power supply that you will be using.

you plan to add 4 GB of Geil RAM, a 9600gt, a wireless card, a tv tuner card (pcie) and a samsung dvd drive.

Your parts are fine. I don't see why anything would conflict. However, if this were my build I would change a few things:

1. Your motherboard is compatible with DDR2 ram, not DDR ram. Besides this, I would go with a more reputable brand name such as Mushkin or OCZ.
2. Again with the tv tuner, I would go with a more reputable brand. I have a happauge 1250 and find it serves me well. The ATI wonder cards are also a good line.
3. If you can, use ethernet cables instead of wireless, especially since you intend to use this computer as a server/ network storage device. wireless is still slower and inconsistant.

If you have no intention of gaming or plan to only game with older games on lower settings, you could go for something less expensive such as a radeon 4670. If you do intend to game on this computer, a radeon 4870 or GTX 260 would be good.