Sign in with
Your question

What does this mean?

Last response: in Storage
January 20, 2011 5:15:58 AM

SATA 6.0Gb/s vs. SATA 3.0Gb/s. What does that mean? I am going to build my father a PC and I really do not want to screw up. :lol:  I found two 250gb hard drives that I would like to put in raid 0. So, if I put either of those in his PC does it mean that there could compatibility issues? I saw the 6gb and 3gb, are they just different speeds or does it mean one is actually different with compatibleness?

Thanks in advance. :) 

More about : question

a b G Storage
January 20, 2011 12:54:00 PM

To answer your question, they are just different standards of data transfer speeds. The 6.0Gb/s is downwardly compatible with the 3.0 standard (it'll slow down to the slower speed).

Now, I've always thought that RAID0 on a home PC is way more trouble than it is worth. It requires loading of special drivers. it DOUBLES your chance of losing data if a disk fails. If a drive in a RAID0 array fails, you lose ALL the data on the array, not just the data on the failed drive. You cannot take the arrayed drives from one computer and put them in another and expect to be able to get to the data on the array. A little extra speed is not worth it. For speed, I'd recommend getting a SSD!
m
l
January 20, 2011 5:39:49 PM

Yeah, I know. He wanted an SSD, but they are really expensive.
m
l
!