$170 Q9550 or $190 Phenom II 955 BE?

newdrew

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Well I should have asked this earlier today, but its not to late.

My 5+ year old pc just offed itself over the weekend. The local microcenter has the following two cpus I am considering.

Q9550 = $170
Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition = $190

I plan using this mostly as a server (web, other) , some eventual video/photo editing and gaming in the future (diablo 3). I dont plan to upgrade this for at least 18 months - 2 years. I did some quick research over the last couple days when I narrowed down my choices. It seemed most people were in favor of the Phenom.

I have since purchased the cpu locally and plan get most of the rest from newegg. Maybe I am suffering from a slight case of buyers remorse, but now that I am looking around again it seems most the suggestions for the Phenom were due apparently to a significant price difference between the Phenom and the 9550. Now that it appears the prices have swung in the other direction, is the 9550 the better route to go? Will I see much of a difference by going ddr3? If I go ddr3 would I be defeating the purpose of only running 2x1GB sticks? I plan to do this on as tight a budget as possible for now. The fact that the AMD boards had more on-board video options also weighed into my decision to go with the Phenom since I will run headless for a while.

Anyways thanks for any/all advice, and hopefully I haven't offended the forum police with some lack of formatting in this post.

r_manic

Administrator
Go with the Q9550. People usually recommend AMD for its value. That's not the case here, with the prices you've listed.

Regarding DDR3, you should stay from that unless you're using the i7 platform. There's an article here that concludes the benefits of DDR3 are not worth the additional cost.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Triple Channel DDR3 (i7) = awesomish
Double Channel DDR3 (not i7) = not a leap over ddr2 worth the price.

Only i7 has triple channel atm, so 2x1gb stick would utilize the ddr3 with the 955 just fine, should you go that route.