deletes userinit.exe refernce in registry.

Hi all,

While cleaning up my registry, i deleted the entry for the userinit.exe file. Now I am not able to login to my XP system. The system boots normally and taks me to the initial login screen. But, when i login, the system logs off immediately.

Is there a way to restore the refernec to userinit.exe in the registries.

Please help.

Repair install XP: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

This article deals with the userinit.exe setting, but it does *not* apply in your case, as you've set a blank value in there (or deleted the userinit value itself) http://www.lavahelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

AumHa VSOP: http://www.aumha.org

"XP_user" <XP_user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43C1FC62-7384-4B54-9E87-BEF01D0BCCCC@microsoft.com...
Hi all,

While cleaning up my registry, i deleted the entry for the userinit.exe file. Now I am not able to login to my XP system. The system boots normally and taks me to the initial login screen. But, when i login, the system logs off immediately.

Is there a way to restore the refernec to userinit.exe in the registries.

Please help.

If your system is in a network, you have another option

<quote>
- Startup your computer, and leave it on the logon screen
- Go to another computer wich is on the same network as you.
- Start < Run < Regedit
- File < Connect to networkregister (or something like that, my winxp is dutch)
- Enter the network path of your computer
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and change Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

</quote>

In XP Home, this again might create an authentication issue.