deletes userinit.exe refernce in registry.

Hi all,

While cleaning up my registry, i deleted the entry for the userinit.exe file. Now I am not able to login to my XP system. The system boots normally and taks me to the initial login screen. But, when i login, the system logs off immediately.

Is there a way to restore the refernec to userinit.exe in the registries.

Please help.
2 answers Last reply
More about deletes userinit refernce registry

    Repair install XP: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

    This article deals with the userinit.exe setting, but it does *not* apply in your case, as you've set a blank value in there (or deleted the userinit value itself) http://www.lavahelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html

    --
    Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    AumHa VSOP: http://www.aumha.org

    "XP_user" <XP_user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43C1FC62-7384-4B54-9E87-BEF01D0BCCCC@microsoft.com...
    Hi all,

    While cleaning up my registry, i deleted the entry for the userinit.exe file. Now I am not able to login to my XP system. The system boots normally and taks me to the initial login screen. But, when i login, the system logs off immediately.

    Is there a way to restore the refernec to userinit.exe in the registries.

    Please help.

    If your system is in a network, you have another option

    <quote>
    - Startup your computer, and leave it on the logon screen
    - Go to another computer wich is on the same network as you.
    - Start < Run < Regedit
    - File < Connect to networkregister (or something like that, my winxp is dutch)
    - Enter the network path of your computer
    - Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon and change Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"

    </quote>

    In XP Home, this again might create an authentication issue.

    --

    "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message news:uW2asRJVEHA.2972@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
[...]

Configuration Login Registry Windows XP