Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Streaming Video - 100% CPU Freeze

Last response: in Overclocking
March 31, 2011 3:55:38 PM

Hello,

I can't figure it out. My computer is constantly binding up and going to 100% CPU usage? I upgraded RAM to 4 GB, I've clean regisry, wiped out add-ons in IE, and everything else I can find on-line. The computer is lightening fast most of the time, but when you use Skype or Stream Hulu, ABC, CBS, etc you basically have 5 minutes before the system locks up and you you are at 100% CPU usage. Start-up is another problem area. I have basically nothing opening at start-up, but it takes forever is uses 100% CPU to do so for 10 minutes. Is it my anti-virus software? Symantec Endpoint? I give.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Latitude D620
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2161 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A10, 5/16/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 2.43 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 6.34 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2011 1:56:54 AM

sounds like some type of malware
m
l
April 1, 2011 11:07:14 AM

I've run multiple virus and malware checks and everything seems clean. According to Process Explorer it is System Interrupts (Hardware Interrupts and DPCs). This kicks up to 40-50% CPU usage and everything freezes. I unplugged all USBs (Printer/Camera/Speakers) and it seemed to fix the problem for streaming video, then a bit later it was back. I use a wireless router, so I connected straight from the cable modem and I still have the problem when using Skype and randomly when just using the internet. Any other suggestions?

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

April 19, 2011 9:52:02 PM

I wish someone would figure out an answer for this already. I have had this problem for about 6 months now. I have search through just about every forum on the web and nothing works.
This only happens on my laptop and not my desktop computer. My laptop is running windows XP pro service pack 3, has Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU, T9400 @ 2.53GHz, and 4 GB of RAM. I contacted Dell (provider of my laptop) and they suggested to replace the motherboard. It was under warranty so they replaced it for free. This fixed my problem for about a week, if that. Now the problem is back again.
It will stream videos fine for about 5 minutes, then all of a sudden it going to 50%-100% using about 300,000k Memory usage. In order to fix this, I have to shutdown my computer. But again, it will stream videos for about 5 minutes, then its right back to taking all of my CPU. I have edited my msconfig file to stop just about all startup programs, but that doesnt change a thing. As I am writing this post my CPU usage is at about 50% and I am not streaming anything, if I start a video it jumps to 100%. I was earlier and I havent rebooted yet. This post has literally taken me 20+ minutes just to type up. The only thing I can think of is some settings that are different, but I have looked everywhere I can think of and everything is the same as my desktop.
May 1, 2011 12:01:45 PM

Reformatted laptop and reinstalled windows. Seems to have semi-corrected problem. Have to think it just may be my cable Internet connection or age of laptop. It's better, as I add more programs after reformat, things seem to be slowing down. iTunes may also be the problem.
m
l
May 1, 2011 12:02:56 PM

Best answer selected by Durkinma.
m
l
February 10, 2012 8:55:36 AM

I had this problem wherein my computer' processor goes up to 100% and it locks up resulting in me rebooting the computer. I tried almost everything that people suggested

And guess what I figured it out myself and as a result it hasn't locked up for the last two weeks

What I did was went to the TOOLS menu, clicked on ADD ONS and disabled every add on. Then I went about my normal habits and when some program or whatever wouldn't open up or run smoothly I went back to ADD ONS and enabled whichever made the operation work. Right now I had to enable 5 of 16 plugins to run my computer smoothly

I hope this works for you good luck

raamw1@gmail.com
m
l
!