Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Antec Skeleton... ?

Last response: in Components
Share
August 26, 2009 5:04:10 AM

Does anyone have one of these case and would like to recommend it to me whilst mentioning dust and CPU cooler? i dont know what CPU cooler i should get for this case.

More about : antec skeleton

a b ) Power supply
a c 480 à CPUs
August 26, 2009 5:07:56 AM

It looks fugly to me.
m
0
l
August 26, 2009 7:08:28 AM

lol that is pretty irrelevant to my question
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 26, 2009 7:15:03 AM

Well its a pretty open case... so dust could be a issue, CPU cooler i dont know, sorry man...
m
0
l
August 26, 2009 7:16:53 AM

it sucks in alot of wind, but while it is open case it easier to see build ups and easier to clean too.
m
0
l
September 4, 2009 11:58:57 PM

acutally with simple modding one can easily install a bigger CPU, and even without the mod, i think the gpu in skeleton would acutally have the lowest temp as shown by some benches
m
0
l
January 29, 2010 11:49:54 PM

Has ANYONE come across an article, a buddy, a blogger <whatever> that built a Skeleton purely to take advantage of it's 250mm overhead fan for use with passive cooling for CPU (i7) & GPU? I'd love to shed my super-tower and it's 5+ 120mm fans.
m
0
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
January 30, 2010 1:26:46 AM

I've actually seen two in operation but not with passive cpu cooling. Both were pretty messy.
m
0
l
February 10, 2010 5:54:17 PM

Tseax said:
Has ANYONE come across an article, a buddy, a blogger <whatever> that built a Skeleton purely to take advantage of it's 250mm overhead fan for use with passive cooling for CPU (i7) & GPU? I'd love to shed my super-tower and it's 5+ 120mm fans.


I just built my PC using this case. My i7 920 is OC'd to 3.2 (using factory cooling fan) and my temps are around 29C idle and around 39C while playing Fallout 3. My GTX 295 sits around 43C Idle and 60-65 during Fallout (Ultra Settings). I have the 250mm fan set at the medium setting and you can feel just cold air coming out of the sides of the case. It really does a good job of keeping the whole motherboard cool. I just ordered the extra mesh panels for it so I will post some pics once i get them installed.

Not to mention that this fan is extremely quiet.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2010 6:12:16 PM

^Yeah i'd like to see some pictures of the skeleton.
m
0
l
February 10, 2010 6:58:04 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
^Yeah i'd like to see some pictures of the skeleton.


My photography sucks, but...













m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2010 8:31:57 PM

^Kinda messy but there is really no place to hide wires i guess, however it looks really cool, a completely different style of computer housing. How is the cooling on it? Temps?
m
0
l
February 10, 2010 9:16:23 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
^Kinda messy but there is really no place to hide wires i guess, however it looks really cool, a completely different style of computer housing. How is the cooling on it? Temps?


I've got both the Super Big Boy 250mm case fan and the 140mm Noctua NH-C12P SE14 set on low speed. The latter is set based on fan power cable extensions (2) - their useage or not. Not means full throttle. The Big Boy fan uses a 3-position switch.

Using the Everest System Stability Test, initial temps were 39-degrees for the motherboard, 48-degrees for the CPU. A bit high on the CPU for Idle, but, I may have a TIM issue to deal with, or ignore.

After 5-minutes of testing, motherboard rose to 40, CPU rose to the upper 70s. That's the same CPU temp I saw using my Thermaltake Armor with a CoolIt Domino (fan on HIGH). Setting the Big Boy fan to high dropped motherboard temp back to 39 and CPU to 69.

I must test the system without the Noctua fan installed one of these days - see if the Big Boy can cool the works.

xFUNERALxFO's temps seem rather low. I wonder what TIM/cooler combination is in use there? Perhaps it's set up in an igloo?
m
0
l
February 10, 2010 11:14:49 PM

Tseax said:
I've got both the Super Big Boy 250mm case fan and the 140mm Noctua NH-C12P SE14 set on low speed. The latter is set based on fan power cable extensions (2) - their useage or not. Not means full throttle. The Big Boy fan uses a 3-position switch.

Using the Everest System Stability Test, initial temps were 39-degrees for the motherboard, 48-degrees for the CPU. A bit high on the CPU for Idle, but, I may have a TIM issue to deal with, or ignore.

After 5-minutes of testing, motherboard rose to 40, CPU rose to the upper 70s. That's the same CPU temp I saw using my Thermaltake Armor with a CoolIt Domino (fan on HIGH). Setting the Big Boy fan to high dropped motherboard temp back to 39 and CPU to 69.

I must test the system without the Noctua fan installed one of these days - see if the Big Boy can cool the works.

xFUNERALxFO's temps seem rather low. I wonder what TIM/cooler combination is in use there? Perhaps it's set up in an igloo?



Honestly I have not run it through any stability programs yet. the cpu temp i am just reading from my mobo and the gpu temp from evga precision. Once i get the mesh kit installed (it was shipped today) and make all the cables nice and neat and will run it through some programs to get actual results. Sorry I didnt mean to be "that guy" on the forum. It is also 55F in my basement...i need to wear a hat and slippers to come down here and play a game. lol.

What stability programs do you guys recommend? Furmark? 3Dmark?
m
0
l
February 22, 2010 3:22:34 PM

I'd like to have my psu fan blowing towards the rear, not up or down. I'm looking at the Antec truepower 850 but wonder if I'd be better off with a Corsair.

The manual for the Skeleton says that there are two possible locations to mount the power supply, depending on the size of your equipment. Also, they recommend a psu with 80mm fan as more effective than a 120mm fan mounted with the fan facing the top of case.

If anyone can give me some insight here, I'd appreciate it. Like everything about this build, looks do matter. The truepower has some cool yellow stripes, but I don't know if you'd even see them.
m
0
l
February 24, 2010 8:53:50 AM

tomtom63 said:
I'd like to have my psu fan blowing towards the rear, not up or down. I'm looking at the Antec truepower 850 but wonder if I'd be better off with a Corsair.

The manual for the Skeleton says that there are two possible locations to mount the power supply, depending on the size of your equipment. Also, they recommend a psu with 80mm fan as more effective than a 120mm fan mounted with the fan facing the top of case.

If anyone can give me some insight here, I'd appreciate it. Like everything about this build, looks do matter. The truepower has some cool yellow stripes, but I don't know if you'd even see them.

Reviews have rated Antec's TruePower New 750 to be better than Corsair's TX-750. Corsair's HX series is much more superior though, if that's what you're after.
m
0
l
February 24, 2010 12:39:10 PM

Ok, but perhaps the fair comparison would be Corsair HX vs. Antec Signature series (650 and 850, not 750)? Actually, what I'm interested in is specific to the Skeleton. They recommend 80mm fan venting to the back over 120mm fan venting up. I'm trying to weight the fan placement into the equation, not just psu quality. I haven't found where Skeleton builders hang out, 'cus it doesn't seem to be here! (Even though there aren't that many of them). Any input is appreciated, though, so thanks.
m
0
l
February 25, 2010 12:45:25 AM

tomtom63 said:
Ok, but perhaps the fair comparison would be Corsair HX vs. Antec Signature series (650 and 850, not 750)? Actually, what I'm interested in is specific to the Skeleton. They recommend 80mm fan venting to the back over 120mm fan venting up. I'm trying to weight the fan placement into the equation, not just psu quality. I haven't found where Skeleton builders hang out, 'cus it doesn't seem to be here! (Even though there aren't that many of them). Any input is appreciated, though, so thanks.

Ah, I misunderstood your inquiry. You did say "Antec truepower 850" and I assumed you made a typo. I actually have no experience with the Antec Skeleton case and I haven't read anything regarding it, so I apologize for not being able to help you. However, I do use an Antec TruePower New 750 and I can confirm that it sucks air in and exhausts through the rear, this being bottom-mounted on an Antec 902.
m
0
l
February 27, 2010 2:44:18 AM

I have owned the Skeleton for about 6 months. Here is my review:

I previously owned the Antec 900. The system is an i7 920 (DO), Asus P6T Deluxe V2, 12 gigs of DDR3, and TWO SLI'd BFG GTS 250 Overclocked Editions. Power supply unit is a Corsair TX650. First and foremost I immediately wanted the Skeleton upon seeing it. So I ventured a guess that Antec makes good stuff, and boy I wasn't let down. The case offers excellent cooling, better than any other including the 900. I do know there is a limit of size for aftermarket cpu coolers. Antec states it is not necissary to go with these aftermarket coolers due to the massive air flow. I partially agree but some of my needs for overclocker necessitate those coolers. I belive you can find demensions to verify if a proposed cooler can fit by going to Antec's site and quarrying the Skeleton. DUST: I have yet to dust this case in over 6 months. My 900 would have been filthy by now. The case features a massive amount of positive case pressure. It seems to repell dust well. My Intel cooler is a little dirty but thats it. Spills? If you are careless and spill on any case you might have problems. Probably not a good idea if you have small pets or young children. This case has enough room for two 8800 GTX's, probably three of them. I seen on Antec's site that they sell optional screens/mesh for the open areas. Personally I think it is an ugly option. The openess is beutiful. I had issues with GPU's and needed to pull and swap and all of that fun stuff. This case made it a breeze. I also had to pull and swap RAM and had the leisure of doing so without accessing anything. Just reached in and yanked it out! This is a great case, as par for Antec.
m
0
l
February 27, 2010 7:35:43 PM

xFUNERALxFOGx said:
I just built my PC using this case. My i7 920 is OC'd to 3.2 (using factory cooling fan) and my temps are around 29C idle and around 39C while playing Fallout 3. My GTX 295 sits around 43C Idle and 60-65 during Fallout (Ultra Settings). I have the 250mm fan set at the medium setting and you can feel just cold air coming out of the sides of the case. It really does a good job of keeping the whole motherboard cool. I just ordered the extra mesh panels for it so I will post some pics once i get them installed.

Not to mention that this fan is extremely quiet.



I am surpised the reviews were so crappy. I love the Skeleton. It is better for cooling and easier to access. These bad reviews are shameful. If the person ever tried it they should be hooked, at least I think. I figure a lot of them were done by non users and people who never tried them. The temps dont lie.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
February 28, 2010 11:35:00 PM

I've been reading more reviews on it and all i can say is next time i get a chance to build a computer, the skeleton will be my #1 candidate. It's basically a tech station and you can see/access everything, only improvement i can think of is to raise the top fan higher so you can fit more serious coolers but still, awsome case!
m
0
l
!