Sign in with
Your question

SSD vs HDD

Last response: in Storage
January 20, 2011 2:16:51 PM

Im curious. I have the raptor 320gb i think it is at 10000rpm but im wanting to get a solid state. Ive been told by one person at best buy to get the 2 intel 40gb drives and set as raid 0 and then put all my games and apps on the raptor as a storage drive but my OS on my SSD's. Need to know why and if thats good and all. And also if someone has an idea of what would be the best rated SSD and if i should do 2 as a raid or one at like 80 or 160gb or what ever

More about : ssd hdd

January 20, 2011 4:49:03 PM

You only need one 40GB SSD.
The current concept of a Solid-State Drive is that you can install all of the system applications to it so that you get a rapid boot-up time, by this I mean drivers and the operating system (40GB is enough for that with some left over). Then you can store all dormant files (games, documents, pictures, music etc.) to the HDD.

Hope this helps

Edit: I suggest a Corsair or OCZ one, they are currently the market leaders on SSDs rather than Intel and have better reviews.
m
l
January 20, 2011 4:49:23 PM

You only need one 40GB SSD.
The current concept of a Solid-State Drive is that you can install all of the system applications to it so that you get a rapid boot-up time, by this I mean drivers and the operating system (40GB is enough for that with some left over). Then you can store all dormant files (games, documents, pictures, music etc.) to the HDD.

Hope this helps

Edit: Sorry, double post
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 20, 2011 5:48:28 PM

Ok ill look at the corsair and OCZ SSD's and check them out. Is there any performance loss with installing games like world of warcraft or call of duty or all your apps like adobe photoshop or anything on the HDD while your SSD is running the OS
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
January 20, 2011 7:24:28 PM

IMHO you're better off with a single large SSD rather then two smaller SSDs in RAID. The flash memory chips inside the SSD are organized internally to operate in parallel, so they're effectively a kind of RAID 0 array anyway. The larger the SSD, the more chips you have operating in parallel, so for a given vendor's SSDs using the same controller, you won't really see much if any performance difference between, say, two 80GB drives in RAID 0 vs a single 160GB drive.

Not to mention that if you use RAID 0 then you loose the TRIM optimizations.

Ideally you'd want to install the OS and as many of your application programs as you can on the SSD.
m
l
!