Sign in with
Your question

X1 card in a x16/x8 slot

Last response: in Motherboards
November 11, 2009 5:19:55 PM

I'm thinking about purchasing Gigabyte's GA-EX58-UD4P mobo and adding 2 5770s and possibly a GT220 for PHYSX. I also have a x1 sound card to put in.

The board is set to run at x16/x16 OR x16/x8/x8 depending on the number of cards in the x16 slots. Unfortunately the x1 slot is blocked a few inches away by the northbridge heatsink so I can't put my sound card there.

What I am wondering is if I put my sound card (x1) in the third x16 slot, with the top two slots filled, will that change the settings from x16/x16 to x16/x8/x8? Just from the apparent total # of lanes (32) it seems like it, but I wanted to see if anyone happens to know for sure.

Thanks!

More about : card x16 slot

a c 177 V Motherboard
November 11, 2009 6:48:01 PM

GB is nowhere clear about this... They state: "The PCIEX8_1 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_2 slot. When PCIEX8_1 is populated with a PCI Express graphics card, the PCIEX16_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode"; however, they only talk about graphics cards - no mention of other useage... I really wouldn't be concerned in either way: even the 'ripper' 5870 only loses a percent or two to use of 'x8 electrical' slots:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Expr...
I supect it won't affect a 5770 at all...

I do, however, very much doubt that you will be able to get a pair of ATI driven video cards to coexist with an nVidia GT220 - like putting a cobra and a mongoose in one sack!
m
l
November 11, 2009 7:33:12 PM

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking the same thing, since I know some Asus mobos will do x16/x16/x1 as long as the third card isn't a video card, and they're both basic X58 boards without the NF200, but Gigabyte's documentation isn't terribly enlightening on the subject. Maybe I should be considering a P55 board with an i7 860 if i'm not going to get x16/x16 anyway.

As far as the combination goes, with Windows 7 you actually can have multiple graphics cards/drivers installed and running at the same time. Despite nVidia's latest driver set removing PHYSX capabilities if an ATI graphics card is present, there's a community patch to get around this. I'm torn at this point between a cheap PHYSX add-on with ATI graphics and boycotting PHYSX/nVidia altogether...
m
l
!