Upgrading Dell Dimension 4550 Graphics Card

G

Hi,
I am wanting to upgrade the graphics card on my Dimension 4550. It currently has the stock GeForce Mx 420. I searched around on Newegg and found this:

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134072&Tpk=256mb%20AGP%20DDR2)

It has the same 128-bit bus as the old card, the same memory type, and the same bus type.
Will it work? I want to make sure before i make a purchase once it becomes available.

Thanks in advance,
arobb407

G

I'm using it to play a couple games, but I could actually play those games semi-smooth with the MX 420 if I turned the graphics to the lowest possible. I'm not looking for anything expensive, as I know that this computer won't be able to play most of the mid-high end games. I only need it to last for 2 more years, and if it has played games for this long with the very old MX 420, then I think that this upgrade will show nice improvements in my framerates and quality of graphics.

ill b ben

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Yeah should work.

Well imo you should look for a second hand card like a ati 9600 nvidia 6600 gt

i got a 6600 gt for 20 euros and it runs perfectly on my old p4 system could even play a few games on b days with it lol.

altho you should check your powersupply then if it actually has enough juice for a somewhat heavyer card

goodluck

G

Since the card I am looking at buying is currently out of stock, would this card work?

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500066)

I'm just not sure since it is DDR not DDR2

ill b ben

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
should work but its wasting your money the fx series r crap i had a fx 5600 and i found it nowhere as good as a radeon 9600 the 6xxx series of nvidia on the other hand was rather good imo

G

Ok thanks. I think I'm going to stick to the 6200 though. I dont have the money at the moment to upgrade the power supply.

Thanks again,
arobb407