Best setup for my H50

siscorskiy

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Alright, right now I have a CM storm scout with 1 of the stock LED fans on the front as intake, the other LED above the i/o shield as exhaust, the 3rd stock one on top as exhaust. The H50s radiator is mounted on top of the i/o shield fan with the supplied fan that came with it on top, so 2 on the rad. as exhaust. On the side panel I have a random rocketfish fan I had laying around (something like ~1300 RPM) mounted above the CPU as intake, and the slot below it is empty. What would be the best setup fan-wise for the lowest temps on my CPU? One thing to note is.. since im kinda space limited I have my case in a little compartment in my desk with about 2 inches of clearance on both sides, 4-5 inches on top and the about 2 inches on back, that definitely doesn't help since ive measured lower temps outside of it.

The H50 works best when setup to intake cool air.
Since you have your PC in a cabinet the best thing to do, IMO, would be to modify a mount for the drive bays.
SDC10306.jpg

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
A desk cabinet isn't the most idea place for a PC when you need good circulation. I had mine in a cabinet long ago, then realized how much heat was building up...so then I cut a large hole in the back for ventilation while leaving the door open. I don't even bother using the cabinets for anything but storage anymore.

I think delluser1 has good plan on this one: you'll want the cool, intake air flowing over the radiator, so if its possible to mount in the front of the case, that might be the most idea.

siscorskiy

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Yeah, I just dont really have anywhere else to put my case since my printer is in the only other spot it will go. Thanks for the replies, ill see what I can do in regards to modifying a drive bay/ maybe modding my cabinet any.. This has been irking me since I have a friend with a similar setup who gets nearly 2-4 degrees less on average since his is on top of a desk.

How many exhaust fans do you guys think I should have? one near the rad for sure.. should intake/exhaust be the same?

And delluser.. tell me that photo is flipped or something, thats a wierd setup if its not... the position of everything looks way off :lol:.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I always fill all fan slots in my cases I've built...but that's just me. Good fans are better than getting more fans of lesser quality. Stock case fans usually move very little air and are cheap to begin with. They are only there so they can state 'comes with case fans'...outside of LEDs, they are usually worthless...and even LEDs are usually worthless to most people.

What do you mean intake/exhaust the same?

siscorskiy

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

The same amount of fans or the same amount of air moving.. And do you have any recommendations for decent fans to replace mine? led's arent really a big deal to me

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
IMO.. looking at your photo its not what I pictured...looks like you'd be limited either way on that set-up as the rad will be pulling hot case air no matter which direction you flip the fans. Point all of your fans in one direction...side fan(s) intake....top fan(s) exhaust. Also, that rad works a lot better with two fans(push/pull)..just my two cents..Can you mount the Rad on top or on back of the case..internally of course?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You'd prefer more exhaust air than incoming air in most cases.

Yate Loons, Gentle Typhoons and Scythe are some commonly used fans across the board for radiators and cases. They each make different RPM/CFM fans, so choose what works for you. You might consider a mid/high RPM fan for the push/pull on your H50 and some mid-speed fans for your case. Also, these are typically 120 and 140mm fans...you might have to get more creative if looking to replace larger 200mm+ fans.

With the LCS coolers like H50/H70, you almost have to toss tradition out the window and use whatever you can to run external air in push/pull through the rad and then make sure you have good in/out fans for the rest of your case.

siscorskiy

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

Mounting on top would be close due to the tubing

You might want to look at the specs, they are quite low when it comes to static pressure

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
^Deltas...yeah they will get it done thats for sure.....put wings on the case and it'll take off.....

The aerocool fans feel like they are pushing a great deal of air when, I had them in push/pull as an intake they would suck your hand to the back of the case..granted they aren't the best in the world