kainesfirstbuild

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
Hi everyone! I got such exceptional advice from you all during my first build over a year ago now i knew i would be able to ask the questions i need answered here.

First off, im planning on my next build and im thinking i would like to branch out and try my hands at a laptop, although im not really sure if its a different process etc. Any input or resources would be greatly appreciated.

Secondly, i would like to upgrade my first build. I am using an AMD 5000+ BE processor and a Nvidia 8800 GTS video card. Im quite satisfied with my mobo and it supports AM3 so i am thinking about upgrading to the AMD phenom quad cores. My question is mainly: what steps will i have to take in order to achieve this? Will i have to clean and reapply the thermal compound? If so what can i use to clean it off initially?

As for the video card i believe i would like to maybe make the switch to a Radeon card. Probably a 4890, or two. I havent decided yet.

Any suggestions would be great! Thanks for all your continued support!
~Kaine

My guess would be that you'll be wanting a top rate CPU cooler now, because Phenom IIs overclock very well. So, you shouldn't need to clean off the old cooler.

However, if you are re-using it, a bit of rubbing alcohol and a lint-free item like a coffee filter will do the job.

So your AM2+ board is a crossfire board?

If you need to upgrade RAM, do so soon. Prices on DDR2 are rising.

kainesfirstbuild

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008

When i built my first computer i used a thermalright ultra120 (with a scythe 120mm fan), and it seems to be doing quite a good job. I think i am safe with using it for the am3 cpu. Thoughts?

I am using the asus m4a79t deluxe board i believe (im out of town at the moment) and it is SLI capable. I had forgotten this, makes sense that i would not be able to use 2 radeon cards in crossfire configuration, but i can still use one radeon card correct? I will save the crossfire configuration for my next computer (soon :D).