Laptop hangs on startup

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 7, 2004 8:17:23 PM

I have a Sharp laptop, Actius MV12W running XP pro. I've had it for a
year, it's worked perfectly. However, last week it suddenly started to
hang up when I start it up. It gets to the desktop, loads most of the
programs, then just hangs and sits there for about 3 minutes. During
those three minutes there appears to be no activity on the hard drive.
Then all of a sudden it's like it wakes up and finishes booting and
everything is fine.

I have noticed that while it's hanging like that, the icon for Norton
(I'm running AntiVirus 2004) has an X through it, but when it finally
finishes booting there's no X through Norton any more.

I haven't added any programs to the computer, I haven't changed any
configuration. The only thing I was doing differently was, for the two
weeks previous to this problem occurring, I was connecting the laptop
to my sister's router, and sometimes running in off the wireless
connection. This problem with hanging on startup started the first
time I booted the computer after disconnecting it from the router.

I've run a virus scan, and checked with AdAware and nothing was found.

Does anyone have any idea why my computer is doing this and how I can
get it back to the way it was?

Thanks,
Cathy

More about : laptop hangs startup

April 8, 2004 12:17:38 AM

It is trying to obtain an IP address and as it can't, it will default to an
internal one. Disable your network card so it doesn't make this attempt
unless you have it attached to a network.
Terry

"cathy" <cwells21@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a Sharp laptop, Actius MV12W running XP pro. I've had it for a
> year, it's worked perfectly. However, last week it suddenly started to
> hang up when I start it up. It gets to the desktop, loads most of the
> programs, then just hangs and sits there for about 3 minutes. During
> those three minutes there appears to be no activity on the hard drive.
> Then all of a sudden it's like it wakes up and finishes booting and
> everything is fine.
>
> I have noticed that while it's hanging like that, the icon for Norton
> (I'm running AntiVirus 2004) has an X through it, but when it finally
> finishes booting there's no X through Norton any more.
>
> I haven't added any programs to the computer, I haven't changed any
> configuration. The only thing I was doing differently was, for the two
> weeks previous to this problem occurring, I was connecting the laptop
> to my sister's router, and sometimes running in off the wireless
> connection. This problem with hanging on startup started the first
> time I booted the computer after disconnecting it from the router.
>
> I've run a virus scan, and checked with AdAware and nothing was found.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why my computer is doing this and how I can
> get it back to the way it was?
>
> Thanks,
> Cathy
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 8, 2004 9:32:56 AM

Um, OK, but how do I disable my network card temporarily? I'll be
going back to my sisters and reconnecting to her router in the near
future. In fact, I'll be doing that a lot. How do I go back and forth
without a lot of hassle with my laptop?

Cathy

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 20:17:38 GMT, "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote:

>It is trying to obtain an IP address and as it can't, it will default to an
>internal one. Disable your network card so it doesn't make this attempt
>unless you have it attached to a network.
>Terry
>
>"cathy" <cwells21@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have a Sharp laptop, Actius MV12W running XP pro. I've had it for a
>> year, it's worked perfectly. However, last week it suddenly started to
>> hang up when I start it up. It gets to the desktop, loads most of the
>> programs, then just hangs and sits there for about 3 minutes. During
>> those three minutes there appears to be no activity on the hard drive.
>> Then all of a sudden it's like it wakes up and finishes booting and
>> everything is fine.
>>
>> I have noticed that while it's hanging like that, the icon for Norton
>> (I'm running AntiVirus 2004) has an X through it, but when it finally
>> finishes booting there's no X through Norton any more.
>>
>> I haven't added any programs to the computer, I haven't changed any
>> configuration. The only thing I was doing differently was, for the two
>> weeks previous to this problem occurring, I was connecting the laptop
>> to my sister's router, and sometimes running in off the wireless
>> connection. This problem with hanging on startup started the first
>> time I booted the computer after disconnecting it from the router.
>>
>> I've run a virus scan, and checked with AdAware and nothing was found.
>>
>> Does anyone have any idea why my computer is doing this and how I can
>> get it back to the way it was?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Cathy

a b D Laptop
April 8, 2004 12:56:24 PM

cathy wrote:
> Um, OK, but how do I disable my network card temporarily?
> I'll be going back to my sisters and reconnecting to her router
> in the near future. In fact, I'll be doing that a lot. How do I go
> back and forth without a lot of hassle with my laptop?

You shouldn't have to. It is not normal for XP to hang up waiting for an IP
address as Terry suggested, and you should never have to disable your
network card just because you aren't connected to a network.

Something else is wrong, although I'm not sure what.

If this just started happening last week, you may have a restore point
available that you could roll back to from before it started doing this. You
could try running System Restore (Start/Help and Support/System Restore) and
rolling back to when it was working right, and see if that fixes it. If it
doesn't help, you could use System Restore again to return to the current
configuration.

Or, you could try using msconfig to turn off programs that are run at
startup. Do a Start/Run... and type msconfig and Enter. Then go to the
Startup tab and turn off the checkboxes on anything that seems suspicious,
or just use the Disable All button to turn everything off. If that helps,
then you can use msconfig again to turn items on one by one until it starts
hanging up again.

Also, one more question. Why are you rebooting your computer at all? It
would save you time and effort if you put it on standby or hibernate instead
of shutting down and rebooting.

-Mike
April 8, 2004 5:46:30 PM

> Um, OK, but how do I disable my network card temporarily? I'll be
> going back to my sisters and reconnecting to her router in the near
> future. In fact, I'll be doing that a lot. How do I go back and forth
> without a lot of hassle with my laptop?
>
> Cathy

any
> >> configuration. The only thing I was doing differently was, for the two
> >> weeks previous to this problem occurring, I was connecting the laptop
> >> to my sister's router, and sometimes running in off the wireless
> >> connection. This problem with hanging on startup started the first
> >> time I booted the computer after disconnecting it from the router.
> >>
> >> I've run a virus scan, and checked with AdAware and nothing was found.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any idea why my computer is doing this and how I can
> >> get it back to the way it was?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Cathy

Go to your control panel, select system, under the hardware tab select
device manager, then on the device manager go to Network adapters right
click on you Ethernet card and select disable, then when you want it to work
again just follow the same steps and select enable, remember to restart your
machine for the settings to take effect.

Eddy
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 9, 2004 1:26:49 AM

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 08:56:24 -0700, "Michael Geary"
<Mike@DeleteThis.Geary.com> wrote:

>cathy wrote:
>> Um, OK, but how do I disable my network card temporarily?
>> I'll be going back to my sisters and reconnecting to her router
>> in the near future. In fact, I'll be doing that a lot. How do I go
>> back and forth without a lot of hassle with my laptop?
>
>You shouldn't have to. It is not normal for XP to hang up waiting for an IP
>address as Terry suggested, and you should never have to disable your
>network card just because you aren't connected to a network.
>
>Something else is wrong, although I'm not sure what.

Mike, thanks for the advice. I went into Network Connections in
Control Panel and disabled the LAN connection and the Wireless
connection and that did the trick, when I rebooted the laptop it
booted perfectly, with no hanging. And as an experiment, I re-enabled
just the wireless connection and rebooted and the laptop started to
hang again.

>If this just started happening last week, you may have a restore point
>available that you could roll back to from before it started doing this. You
>could try running System Restore (Start/Help and Support/System Restore) and
>rolling back to when it was working right, and see if that fixes it. If it
>doesn't help, you could use System Restore again to return to the current
>configuration.

I did that already, I restored it to a point at least three days
before this problem started happening. That didn't fix the problem.
And yes, I reset it back to the current configuration.

>Or, you could try using msconfig to turn off programs that are run at
>startup. Do a Start/Run... and type msconfig and Enter. Then go to the
>Startup tab and turn off the checkboxes on anything that seems suspicious,
>or just use the Disable All button to turn everything off. If that helps,
>then you can use msconfig again to turn items on one by one until it starts
>hanging up again.

I tried that, too, and it didn't work. THe only thing that's worked so
far is going into Network Connections and disabling the LAN and
Wireless connections. It's a nuisance, but not a big hassle to do it.

>Also, one more question. Why are you rebooting your computer at all? It
>would save you time and effort if you put it on standby or hibernate instead
>of shutting down and rebooting.

This is my back-up laptop, I only use it when I'm on the road.
Sometimes it'll sit for weeks without ever getting turned on, so it's
not practical to let it sit in standby or hibernate for that long a
period.

But you're right, even though we've figured out what the problem is,
it still shouldn't be happening, not with XP, as I understand it. I
still need to figure out what's causing the problem in the first place
so I can treat the cause, and not just the symptoms.

Thanks for your help,
Cathy

!