Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

What exactly is "Timer Resolution"?

Tags:
  • Resolution
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 1, 2011 7:03:16 AM

I was looking through tweak guides and found something about reducing (or increasing? whatever) the Timer Resolution in Windows. This program was linked. When I had my stock fan installed, running it caused a rather dramatic increase in temps (5C or so), while with a Hyper 212 it doesn't seem to have much effect on the temps. Now, I'm curious to know exactly what timer resolution is, I understand it is related to the CPU, but no more than that. Will keeping my resolution to 0.5ms (as the program allows) really have an impact on performance, be it in network (I understand that's where it's supposed to really change things up) or anywhere else? Or is it just nonsense?

More about : timer resolution

a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2011 5:28:36 PM

From what i read and im not expert this is only for applications with coding needs to be run every Xms (below the normal rate) I dont think this would really have any impact on performance (increasing it).
Quote:

TimerResolution is an application to change the resolution of the default windows timer. The standard timer on Windows XP can vary between 10 and 25 milliseconds. Therefore if your code uses a timer or sleep value less than the timer resolution on your system you won’t be getting the results you expect.

The timer resolution will be globally changed while the application is running and will revert to the previous value when it is closed.

Seems rather pointless, wether or not it will increase CPU usage a little I dont know. Considering I have never heard of any others gamers talking about this I dont think it amount to anything.
m
l
a c 198 K Overclocking
April 7, 2011 12:21:29 PM

Snipergod87 said:

Seems rather pointless, wether or not it will increase CPU usage a little I dont know.

Timer functions are pretty "smart". Once they are set up, they pretty much run with little CPU overhead.
m
l