Sign in with
Your question

Ati mobility x1400 x1600 bus width lowered to 64 bit

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 12, 2009 9:57:14 AM

Hi!
Thanks to all the people who will understand the ATI mobility lineup fraud.
I hope someone here at the tomshw can highlight such topic in order to let me/us understand whether ati/amd technical specs are something people can discard at all due to manipulation on effective hardware specifications and implementations...
I recently bought a fujitsu siemens amilo pi1536 notebook being conscious it was equipped with a low-middle line ati mobility x1400 gpu.
On ati site (http://ati.amd.com/products/MobilityRadeonx1400/index.h...) it is clearly stated such technical specification: performance-enhanced with a new ring-bus memory controller and high-speed 128-bit 4-channel DDR/DDR2/GDDR3 RAM support.
I was planning to play some games like tomb raider at a decent speed...I made some simple calculations and it resulted that such gpu should be ok for some modest gaming.
For curiosity yesterday I installed GPU-Z and after had launched it it showed up a 64-bit width memory controller.
Being some amazed I did download 'ati tray tools' and did some 'system information' check...such last nice tool did report the same...64-bit width memory controller.
Now it seems to me both tools should rarely wrongly report such feature/specification...
Instead it is resulting ati has allowed mxm cards manufacters to lower memory controller bus width from 128 bit to 64 bit! Should it be legal such 'downgrade' when technical specifications declares something different? Especially when such technical specifications are the referement point to all the people who are targetting their money?
Can a customer being refunded or supported by a giant like ati/amd who is declaring one thing and practicing another one (directly or indirectly here does not matter)?
At last, such crappy mobility x1400 is obteining same score at 3dmark 03 just like my old mbility 9700 which is 128 bit bus width.
Many thanks.
June 12, 2009 3:17:27 PM

I used to own a Dell Inspiron E1505 which came with an ATi Mobility X1400. It was the 64-bit model.
If you do more research, you'll find there are essentially two versions of this chip - one with a 128-bit memory interface and one with a 64-bit memory interface. ATi's website lists the 128-bit because it's the most technically advanced one available for that chip, and it wasn't until after the launch of the 128-bit edition that they decided to make a 64-bit version.
As a sidenote, even the 128-bit version wouldn't be much faster than your Mobility 9700, because the x1400 has fewer pixel pipelines and a lower clock rate. If you're looking to do modern games, you're fooling around with far too old of technology. Get yourself a newer notebook PC with something along the lines of a Geforce 9600M GS at the minimum if you're going to do any gaming. Asus has some good notebook PC's with Geforce 9800M GS for under $900, and that's equivalent to desktop 9600GT (128-bit memory interface and 64 shaders).
June 12, 2009 4:08:10 PM

hi dtemple, thank you for your comfortable reply...
The mobility x1400 has few aces in the sleeve...they are the 90nm fab manufacturing process which allowed me to squeeze such chip to 600 mhz and its nominal 128 bit memory bus width which is lacking at all.
If you consider that memory speed and type are those the mobility x1600 is using it result a good low-middle gpu.
Due to the fact ati and nvidia are using Immediate rendering approach since a decade memory bandwidth is very important, important like writing technical specs which (we all hope) should be aligned to the hardware specs.
Te mobility x1400 chip is a very good one capable of decent game playing when overclocked...obvious nothing compared to the latest mobility 3650 4650 gpu's.
I do not want to change my mxm module...I am not supporting the ati politics...I bought this notebook by considering the graphics specs where those written on the ati site...having a 64 bit bus width is resulting in truncating the effective fillrate of such a 4 pipes 600 mhz chip.
Today I spoke with ati support and I think they have sayd a lie...
They told me the bus width truncations depends from mxm manufacters like acer, fujitsu and so on.
Well it will be true when at bios level there should be some kind of bit mask that computed with nand operation truncates the original hardware value.
At opposite, the situation should be very serious if ati has set the bus width at 64 bit in their cores (hardwired).
I know that very poor people are going to be interested in such things...it is simple...if you don t like it then go and buy another one...
I am not such a person...and I think that such a chip has to have 128 bit memory bus width.
Related resources
June 12, 2009 10:34:44 PM

lol calm down, it's not like you are going to do much gaming even with the 128bit bus anyhow.

If you do a little more research you'll find out that in the budget segment there are tons of nasty ways to cut costs (both in desktop and mobile markets), reducing the memory bus width is one of the most popular ones. With narrower bus, you'll need less memory chips, less space on the board etc. It all comes down to shaving that extra cent of the manufacturing cost. And indeed it's the AIB's that do this, not the chip makers...
June 12, 2009 11:01:59 PM

ITT: "ATI SUX CUZ FUJITSU RIPPED ME OFF"
June 13, 2009 8:52:50 AM

heh...I think here we are in front of a "cartello" position between ati and nvidia...it should be not the first time...why to cut the memory bus width if not to let the go 7400 to compete with?
by the way on monday am going to call fujitsu siemens.
June 13, 2009 9:03:53 AM

Kari said:
lol calm down, it's not like you are going to do much gaming even with the 128bit bus anyhow.

If you do a little more research you'll find out that in the budget segment there are tons of nasty ways to cut costs (both in desktop and mobile markets), reducing the memory bus width is one of the most popular ones. With narrower bus, you'll need less memory chips, less space on the board etc. It all comes down to shaving that extra cent of the manufacturing cost. And indeed it's the AIB's that do this, not the chip makers...

Do not think so...the first mobility x1400 mxm modules did have 128 bus width.
It is a mere way to make such gpu being not so much aggressive compared to nvidia lineup.
here some mobility x1400 bios of gpu's which are using 128 bit bus width...ah sure they are ddr and not ddr2...let me say both variants have 2.5 ns memories...
June 13, 2009 11:07:07 AM

you can call all the people you want but you won't get any more buswidht out of that thing when there's physically nothing connected to those extra lines...
June 13, 2009 1:02:05 PM

maybe you have to recall in your memories the sapphire 9800 pro unwanted gift some customers got...a nice 9800 pro truncated from 256 bit to 128...

http://ts.fujitsu.com/Resources/90/536989236.pdf
no mention whether it is poor 64 bit bus...history is repeating once again...

you re right i can call all the people i want and i can do more...
!