Sign in with
Your question

Looking for software to clone HDD and the hidden partition

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
January 20, 2011 5:42:00 PM

I replaced my old HDD in my laptop and I would like to copy the hidden partition onto an new HDD because it has the operating system.

I have Acronis True Image Home 2009, but it does not allow me to see the hidden partition. Therefore, I cannot copy it.

Is there any software (preferably free) that will allow me to copy the hidden partition onto the new HDD?
a b G Storage
January 20, 2011 5:56:31 PM

Well, if you have a third drive to make an image on you could just use the built-in drive image function in Windows 7. Then you restore to your new SSD.

You could also try DriveImage XML. It's free and has saved my bacon a few times (but not since I moved on to Win7... now I use the before mentioned built-in image software).

Also, you might be able to download a trial version of a newer version of Acronis.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 20, 2011 6:26:04 PM

Actually it's Windows XP. I prefer doing a clean install rather than a system restore from a saved image.

Hmmm... I'll look into Acronis again... maybe I have to do a manual backup. But that will have to wait since I had to give back the cables I used to image the drive. :pfff: 
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 20, 2011 6:42:36 PM

Oh, I thought the hidden partition you were referring to was that 100MB system partition Win7 has. You must be talking about an OEM hidden partition. I hate it when they don't just give you the OS discs. Is this a Dell or HP?
m
l
a b G Storage
January 20, 2011 7:33:07 PM

The only thing I used that was able to clone even hidden partition was a piece of hardware similar to drive docks. It works for 3.5 and 2.5 SATA drives. One slot for the source drive and one slot for new drive. I think the brand was Aleratec.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 20, 2011 9:32:14 PM

rwpritchett said:
I've read that EASEUS partition manager can handle those pesky hidden OEM recovery partitions.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Hmm... I forgot about EASEUS, I used it to change the partition size a while ago. I'll have to wait until the end of January to borrow the cables again to test it out.

This is for an old IBM ThinkPad T40 from 2003. According to ActiveSMART, the original hard drive is still good with no warning whatsoever. But it has been over 7 years so I decided to dish out $50 - $60 for a new HDD a couple of months ago. I didn't have a chance to perform the upgrade until just recently.

I had thought about simply buying a new laptop, but I haven't got the urge (at least not yet). I also don't really need a new laptop, but I suppose it can come in handy once in a while.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 20, 2011 10:10:11 PM

Quote:
Acronis. Below link for free trial

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/?source=u...

Thanks. I currently have the 2009 version, but I need to wait until the end of the month to barrow back the necessary cables before attempting again. I assume I will need to do a manual backup in order to see the hidden partition since the "One Touch" backup didn't copy it.
m
l
January 20, 2011 10:20:37 PM

Sorry, you said you that you have Acronis True Image Home 2009.

Acronis Disk Director 11 is not the same. You might have some limits on the free version.

Edit: Dang, did I write all thoes yous?
m
l
a b G Storage
January 20, 2011 10:47:48 PM

Ahh, sorry about that...

The first thing I saw was True Image Home 2011. Alright, thanks I give that a shot as soon as I can.

m
l
January 24, 2011 7:26:54 AM

rwpritchett said:
I've read that EASEUS partition manager can handle those pesky hidden OEM recovery partitions.

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

Hi,rwpritchett
Have you used this software? How about its quanlity?
Recently, my friend is looking for such partition manager to resize his 2008 server system partition. He mentioned this software which was recommended by his colleague. Now i just wanna ask for some more information.
m
l
October 9, 2012 6:42:34 AM

Why not unhide your partition first? Set a drive letter in disk management than it will be undeided, btw, if you want to clone your whole disk to another, why not select another clone method "sector-by-sector clone" from Partition Assistant which enable you clone every sector from old disk to another. I download it from CNET, you could find it there.
m
l
!