Your question

Windows XP pro setup loop

Tags:
  • Boot
  • CD-Rom
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
October 27, 2011 12:55:37 AM

Greetings! here we goes i set the boot device priority to cd-rom as my first boot as a usual installation of windows xp.The only thing is i was not prompted to "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD". The installation goes along fine but the installation could not go to the GUI of the windows installation instead it goes back to WINDOWS SETUP. thank you and more power to us all.

More about : windows pro setup loop

October 27, 2011 4:52:17 AM

Since there is no "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD" it is launching automaticly the CD so next time when the computer restarts:
A: set in Bios First Boot Device HDD (or something else except your CD/DVD Drive)
B: Take out your XP CD untill you see the very beginning of the GUI and put it back again so windows can continue reading from cd.
October 27, 2011 6:51:03 AM

If AHCI is enabled in the BIOS, try changing it to IDE.

You should be able to leave the XP disc in, with CD as the first boot device, and still proceed, as long as you don't press any key.
Related resources
October 27, 2011 2:09:53 PM

sir copnas i have tried what you said but still no luck!
October 27, 2011 6:43:33 PM

Well what exactly happened?
If you tried solution "B" which I mentioned above you should normaly get an error or windows would continue in GUI mode.
October 28, 2011 6:12:09 AM

I dont see the GUI instead it is looping back to windows setup.
October 28, 2011 12:40:19 PM

It's normal for it to restart, and then show that message to 'press any key'. Just don't press anything, and it will move past. If it doesn't, check the BIOS, and make sure the HD isn't disabled as a boot device.
October 28, 2011 6:44:03 PM

I guess I didn't explain it well OR i didn't understood your problem.
After the windows "dos installation" your pc will come to the point where it says that your pc is about to restart in aprox. 10 sec (The red Loading Bar which is counting backwards). When you see this take out your Windows cd from your Drive and let it out. Your PC will restart.
Now since there is no Windows CD in your Drive, Windows will not start again the "dos installation" instaed Windows will boot into GUI mode since it cant boot from your CD.

(At this point windows cant loop back to DOS installation, to do so it would need to read the windows cd, but there is no CD, got it? )

Now after some seconds in gui installation windows will notify you that there is no CD in your Drive.
At this point just put the Windows CD back again and press Ok or Continue or Browse and navigate the CD/DVD Drive where your Windows CD is and press ok.
After this windows should finish the installation like normal.
November 1, 2011 6:16:07 AM

sir copnas after i remove the windows XP cd it will prompt me to select proper boot device and press any key to continue .The if i inserted the disc and press any key it will start over again to the windows xp setup.
November 1, 2011 8:18:45 AM

OK, just don't even listen to my advice.
November 1, 2011 4:44:37 PM

aford the problem is even at the start of windows set up i am not prompted to press any key to boot from cd.i have already done what you suggest still i am being start all over again to windows setup
November 1, 2011 6:13:09 PM

lapatur said:
aford the problem is even at the start of windows set up i am not prompted to press any key to boot from cd

You must be being prompted. This is always present before it enters the install.

lapatur said:
i have already done what you suggest still i am being start all over again to windows setup

Once it goes thru the format of the drive, it will restart. This is normal. You will then see the message again to 'press any key.' At that point, just don't press a key. Even with the disc in, it will proceed past, and finish the install.

If it does boot off the disc, and restart the format process, disconnect the keyboard the next time.

If at this point, the PC restarts, or you see a quick blue screen, you probably need to change AHCI to IDE mode, or compatibility.
!